Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2016 7:56:53 PM EDT
Looking for a simple compass for hikes out in the gamelands on sunday. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Silva Ranger, 40-50 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good. Setting up a little hiking pack. Going to be a condor medium assault pack. Nothing special,though. Just water, pistol, camera, first aid, etc. Just something for a treck through the woods and probably going to start making youtube videos. Need something to do with my days off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Cammega USGI Lensatic compass

Old School shit just works.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Who's got the best prices for those? I see nice prices on ebay, but I wont touch them with a ten foot pole. They're scam-central.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do you think ebay is scam central for old relics that arent worth counterfitting?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought the tritium version four years back, but still need to finish reading the Field Manual that I downloaded.

I'll probably never use it since I'm a city slicker, but it's neat to fiddle with, lol.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Silva Ranger, 40-50 bucks.
View Quote

This, or Silva Polaris for about $20.  Polaris has no mirror and no declination adjustment, but does have a baseplate with a magnifier.

But get the Ranger.  Best. Compass. Ever.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ranger beats it hands down and twice on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Who's got the best prices for those? I see nice prices on ebay, but I wont touch them with a ten foot pole. They're scam-central.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought mine from a guy on Ebay.  It's dated 2010 I think and I got in in 2012 IIRC.  Contract overrun.  It's legit as far as I can tell, but legitimate stuff is out there.  Not everything is a fake.

I paid $55 shipped for a new one and I think it's got 7 segments on it.

Here's the guy I bought mine from and he has a 'used' one left:

Cammenga Lensatic compass...

Chris
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the Silva Compasses were made in China now?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, and the Silva Ranger really hasn't changed much since I earned my orienteering merit badge in 1976.  :)
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Chinese magnetism is inferior to Japanese or American magnetism?
No idea where they are made, but even if it was made in China, they invented the compass anyway.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, and the Silva Ranger really hasn't changed much since I earned my orienteering merit badge in 1976.  :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except you can't buy a new Ranger made by Silva of Sweden any more, at least not in North America.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In North America, Johnson Outdoors owns the Silva brand not Silva of Sweden. It is unclear who makes the Silva brand compasses for Johnson Outdoors that are sold in North America, but it's not Silva of Sweden.
Cammenga is durable but heavy with an induction dampened needle rather than an oil filled capsule.
Suunto makes several models, from small light button compasses to models with clear base plates with and without a sighting mirror to matchbox style compasses.
Do you want small and light just so you know which way is North? Do you want a clear base plate for map work? Do you need to sight with it for land navigation?
Go to The Compass Store to see what is available, think about how you will use it, and pick what best fits your needs. (no financial interest)
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Right. So... Silva.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used Silvas for decades, but my current compasses are Suuntos- M3 baseplate and a Clipper that I wear everyday.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Right. So... Silva.
View Quote

Yeah, I know. It's complicated and may not even matter to the op, but Johnson Outdoors bought genuine Silva compasses from Silva of Sweden until 1996. Then Brunton sold genuine Silva of Sweden made compasses under the Nexus line until 2009.
Silva of Sweden currently has no distribution in North America. By all accounts, they were great tools. The current compasses sold under the Silva brand in North America may be great also, I don't know, but only Johnson Outdoors knows who makes them.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
just picked up the Suunto M3 off Amazon Prime for $30...northern hemisphere, not global
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Silva or Suunto baseplate or ranger type compass.

I have a lensatic (e.g. USGI), and it's not well suited for general purpose.  It's heavy and only has a single straight edge.  You must orient the map to use it.  I'm not sure where a lensatic compass beats a baseplate compass.  The baseplate/ranger has a protractor built into it, so you don't have to orient the map to measure a bearing and start moving.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#20]
My replacement silva compass came from india.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:37:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got a few of the Tritium equiped military compases.  They are nice but bulky and heavy if you are into ultralight backpacking. I don't carry one daily due to it's size and bulk but keep one in my Jeep and in my BOB.

This is what I carry in my EDC bag along with a topo map of the local area and a map protractor.  Honestly I could navigate my way home with my eyes closed but I like the peace of mind of being able to navigate "overland" back home if needed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#22]
There has been more then one thread on this lately and I have multiple different Silva compasses and used them without issue for years.

You can probably pick any reputable compass brand and end up with a good bit of kit.  I am sure the compass industry is pretty well standardized this day in age.  Stay away from the cheap dollar or wally world junk and you will probably be just fine.

Actually I have a couple cheap compasses that have been riding in my hunting pack for years and they still work to so who knows...

As far as the Silva brand goes I have some of the early 90s models and some current,  They all seem good to go IMHO.  

Doesn't matter what compass you have, carry it in a pocket next to a cell phone or other battery's long term and it can loose magnetization.

I use a Silva Guide because it has a sighting mirror, (which I never use for sighting) and isn't overly expensive.  I like to have the mirror for signaling but most importantly: face inspection.

https://www.amazon.com/Silva-Guide-426-Compass/dp/B003YMLU8C

You can probably find them at sporting goods stores to.

I can post pictures of different ones I have if needed.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Doesn't matter what compass you have, carry it in a pocket next to a cell phone or other battery's long term and it can loose magnetization.

View Quote

They can reverse polarity too.  It pays to check them periodically.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#24]
use your watch and the sky...
make one from a needle and thread

make one from scratch before you go...

.good lord man, you're in the survival forums..

how to make a compass+

how to make a compass in the wild

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

how to make a compass+

View Quote

I think that one would be too busy making a compass, to even get lost in the first place.

Better for all, to just bring a 'real one' with you.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

how to make a compass+

View Quote

If I wanted to know HOW to make a compass I would have asked just that. This is for a simple hike and scouting trip through the gamelands on a sunday for some future coyote hunting. Not going all out Rambo and Lord of the Flies.

FYI it may say "Survival Gear," but it also says "Outdoors" ;) Get over yourself, Robinson Crusoe.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why do you think ebay is scam central for old relics that arent worth counterfitting?
View Quote

Because they are worth counterfitting. I've already run across several chinese knockoffs ;)
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#28]
suunto mc-2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top