Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2016 8:48:35 PM EDT
So I recently purchased a Hurricane Products natural gas stove, found here:  http://stores.hurricaneproducts.net/

Why would I buy a portable stove fueled by natural gas instead of propane you ask?  That's a good question.

1.  Propane stoves are a dime a dozen.  They are easy to find, hell just look at any Wal-mart.  I specifically wanted a natural gas stove since I have gas service in my home.  

2.  Why not just buy, you know, an actual natural gas cooktop for the kitchen?  I hate how gas appliances heat up the kitchen when cooking, that's why I stick to electric.

I bought this for your typical SHTF stuff, but more commonly whenever electric service goes out.  Here in Texas our electricity service has been very reliable but it still happens.  I suspect people who live in colder climate areas up north might find this review more useful than folks down south.  I have always subscribed to the notion that if you can avoid using your stored consumable supplies, then do it.  I have not ever personally witnessed the loss of natural gas service anywhere in my entire life.  That doesn't mean it can't happen, however there have been plenty of times in my life where electric service was out but gas service was still available.  I wanted to be better prepared to continue using an available utility which allows me to avoid using propane.

So I managed to find this cookstove and decided to give it a try.  I'm not expecting a whole lot really and the unit is pretty barebones...that's ok.  It's cast iron and made in China.  There is assembly required so it does not disassemble easily for transport, however once it is fully assembled, it can be tossed in a vehicle relatively easily.  One thing in particular I found to be a pain in the ass during the assembly process was screwing on the metal valves onto the cast iron burners.  The burners are iron, the valves are aluminum I think.  It is very easy to get the threads misaligned even though you think it's all ok and then when you start screwing, the iron will strip away the threads.  Typical chinese quality, but I'm not that picky about something like this.  

The stove takes a 3/8" flare connection, so if you're interested in doing this, try to identify where in your home you might most likely hook this thing up whenever you need.  There are 2 places in my home that would work well so I elected to buy a 6' flex connector, which is the longest I could find anywhere on the internet.  

Once you get the stove assembled, you'll need to adjust the gas flow screws which you can see are just under the burners for the respective pressure of whatever gas outlet you hook it up to.  I had this problem with too much pressure that when I turned it up a bit it nearly blew out the existing flames on the burner.  It doesn't really have any sort of pressure regulator that you would find in other appliances, other than the knobs themselves.  It can support a great deal of weight such as a large cooking pot which is nice.  

Overall I'm satisfied with the purchase and it achieves my goal of not having to resort to depleting stocks of propane unless absolutely necessary.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]

and it has the added advantage of being able to boil engine blocks in your garage.  

my wife always gets mad when I try to do it in the kitchen.

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]

actually its really useful.

my grandmother had and outside gas stove on her covered  porch, she used to cook on all summer long.  She would make soups and sauces all the time on it, and not have to hear my old grandfather complain about the heat in the house.
 She also used it for canning... she would have multiple pressure cookers on it at once.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the NG grill I built a few years ago. I made it so it stands at a comfortable height to cook on.
I made a big stove so as I would have plenty of room for big skillets.

I took a propane stove and welded it up the way I wanted it and drilled out the propane jets to twice their size to allow for the propper air fuel mixture.

The wife is cooking on the new NG stove.

The regulator now is in front of the quick disconnect instead of before the QD.

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a pretty nice setup there.  What kind of connector hose are you using?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a pretty nice setup there.  What kind of connector hose are you using?
View Quote

Its the hoses that they used to sell at Lowes for NG grills. I put about 3 or 4 of them together to get the length I needed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a propane deep fryer I made also awhile back.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top