Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2016 1:22:09 AM EDT
Going to try out a cheap Swiss Hatchet from
 http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/-swiss-army-hatchet/0000000071898

How good are the Swiss at producing steel ?

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Going to try out a cheap Swiss Hatchet from  http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/-swiss-army-hatchet/0000000071898
How good are the Swiss at producing steel ?

View Quote

Extremely.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a good find. Their weight guess might be a bit high. Looks like a 1 1/4# head. Could be 1 1/2#.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a few on the way....
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
The hatchet arrived last week. Very nice. Especially for the money. I'm going to make a kydex sheath for it and put it in the XJ with my Fiskers axe.

ETA: Sportsman's Guide has the same one for $19.99
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The hatchet arrived last week. Very nice. Especially for the money. I'm going to make a kydex sheath for it and put it in the XJ with my Fiskers axe.   ETA: Sportsman's Guide has the same one for $19.99
View Quote

For $10 bucks a piece, and a few minutes making a kydex or leather sheath, there really is not much reason not to have one in each vehicle, or a couple in packs. I have lighter Fiskars for packs, but I will keep one of these for a spare at my cabin too. $10 does not go far these days. I figured I would jump on this. My dad may be getting one as a Christmas gift too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I did a quick google search on the hatchet.  Reviews were spotty;  soft steel, blunt edge needing a lot of work, and many many loose head complaints (which can be fixed as can be the blunt edge, only thing you can't change is the hardness of the metal.   One review said he banged a fence apart with the poll side striking only the wood and not the nails and his is all marked up with dents.  That's soft. )

For $9.99 it's worth a shot though.  I put one in the check out cart but it wouldn't go to check out for me. Got a bad internet screen.  ETA  checked again with firefox and it does work for me now.  I did not purchase though.  $8 to ship a $10 hatchet reduced the bargain to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top