Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2016 4:48:30 PM EDT
I know these questions are asked alot but i have an idea of what i am looking for. just need advice from the pros on here. The collective knowledge there is here is impressive.

So i want my first solar package. I want something i cant take around. it will be used for camping but mostly want it as a shtf tool. I already own AA eneloops and have most of my devices running off of AA.
Now i need a way to charge those batteries off grid.

I know this is the easy way to go (goal Zero Guide)
https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-41022-Guide-Recharging/dp/B00DD6B9IK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467663874&sr=8-1&keywords=goal+zero+solar

but ive read its not the most efficient product

I saw this anker product rated higher (21W panel) but dont know about its ruggedness or abilities
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-2-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B012YUJJM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467663776&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+solar

and was wondering if i should just buy this battery pack and hook it up to it (the goal zero battery pack alone)
https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-21005-Guide-Power/dp/B00D2SQ6W8/ref=pd_sim_263_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=51qPQ6DLM3L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR184%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=TXG2QJSXRCTFMF22EVVB

Is there any other battery packs to look for? i see people talk about "smart" chargers. not sure if this works. I want something rugged though

I was also thinking of buying a battery to hook it up to, to charge while the batteries are ok. something like this (Anker 20k MAh portable charger)
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-20000mAh-Portable-Charger-PowerCore/dp/B00X5RV14Y/ref=sr_1_cc_4?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1467664530&sr=1-4-catcorr&keywords=anker+mah

My problem with the goal zero battery pack is the Mini usb port. its an older connection type and will force me to carry more cables. not sure what else is out there though. I am also wondering if there is a better battery i should be carrying. something with more MAh's  or more flexibility, maybe give me the ability to charge, car batteries or higher voltage devices.

I firstly want this to be portable but wouldnt mind something i can later expand for something more stationary. Thank you all in advance, i know im asking alot but i like knowing what i get myself in to. Any information is appreciated. thank you.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If you just want to charge your Eneloop's this works great, it's very portable and this is a smoking price.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/powerfilm--aa-foldable-solar-charger--10933570

Powerfilm is some pretty tough stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VArRx6voKK4
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the specifications of the Anker charger, but the only detractors are it's durability.  Until I find something better, I'm an advocate of Suntactics.  Yes, more expensive, but by far the best performer and most robust charger I've every used.  Waterproof is important; many times those afternoon thunderstorms can drench a charger in minutes (which as happened to me) and a little care of drying it out completely and they are back to working just fine.  These are simple, yet very effective charges with the "smart-charging" capability, important for devices affected by changes to the charging current (like when cloud cover distrust the charging temporarily).  

Unless you're getting a very expensive 40-60 watt panel, I would opt for a smaller charger battery in the range of 5000-6000 mAh.  Any larger than that, and you'll be charging all day...heat and electronics don't mix, so that is a big consideration.  I do make sure my cords are long enough to put the electronic device or battery charger out of direct sunlight.  

I found a discontinued two-bay Eneloop (USB) charger that does well with the rechargeable AA and AAA batteries.  The GOAL Zero battery bay/charger is neat in theory, but not nearly as efficient as a designed charging unit...get a charger just for batteries and a separate battery for electronic devices...just my opinion as you lose a lot of efficiency trying to charge AA batteries and then use them as a charging battery pack.  I'll use them around the house for emergencies when I have a butt-load of low-discharge NiMH batteries, but not for outdoors.

Pay close attention to output.  The Suntatics 14W charger is rated for 5V (about the max for portable chargers) at 2800 mA.  If optimum conditions (usually not the case though), that's pretty fast charging.  With any charger, the type of solar cells is important.  Some more technically competent portable power gurus will chime in soon to offer some excellent suggestions.

So, I just through my phone (Galaxy S7) outside in the waning sunlight for 35 minutes with the Suntactics 8W solar charger.  It was at 55% and 35 minutes later, it charged to 72%.  That's pretty solid and most of these portable solar charges are best at "opportunity" charging like when you take a break or you have a few hours in the morning or evening before/after the trail.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I love anker.  I have a few anker pannels, usb battery's and premium cables. I use them all daily,  i use panels often. I love that anker 18mo no bs warranty.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Two ways to go:  12vdc solar panels>digital controller>mother battery (SLA/AGM)>12vdc multi chemistry battery/cell charger, or a 5vdc USB solar panel>5vdc 4/3x18650 li-ion USB power bank>5vdc USB multi-chem battery/cell charger.

Charge the mother battery by day, or the USB power bank and then run your chargers off of those, at night.

My 12vdc solar charging SHTF system that I built, for ideas...

Chris
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#6]
The Powerfilm AA charger fit's in a shirt pocket.  It and 8 Eneloop's (in the plastic cases) weigh 10.2 ounces.

Some old pictures

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Bad news! my little ideal system didnt work! I got the anker 21w, the goal zero battery pack and the anker 25k mah battery.

The solar panel charges the anker battery and even my phone but does not seem to charge the goal zero aa battery pack (the little light doesnt blink that its being charged)

On top of that my anker battery doesnt recognize or charge the goal zero aa battery pack either (the anker battery lights up when its charging something)

Any ideas on whats wrong?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bad news! my little ideal system didnt work! I got the anker 21w, the goal zero battery pack and the anker 25k mah battery.

The solar panel charges the anker battery and even my phone but does not seem to charge the goal zero aa battery pack (the little light doesnt blink that its being charged)

On top of that my anker battery doesnt recognize or charge the goal zero aa battery pack either (the anker battery lights up when its charging something)

Any ideas on whats wrong?
View Quote

This is the Guide 10 or Guide 10 Plus?  Does it charge from the USB port on your computer?  I've had decent luck with Goal Zero customer service.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Its the plus. It does charge from the computer, but not from the solar panels or my portable charger.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Ive burnt up  guide10 chargers. I think they suck and theres better usb chargers
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]
What did you find? Ive been looking but havent found anything good. It definitely seems outdated
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I actually found a two AA usb charger from rayovac that worked well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got a link for it ???
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Got a link for it ???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a link for it ???

If your solar panels can do 5V with 2.1A output, this is a great universal charger:  XTAR VC2 Plus Charger

My Suntactics 8W solar panel only does 1.7A, but the larger 14W panel does a whopping 2.8A.  

As an update, my wife and her sister spent a this past week down in the FL Keys.  They camped in a camp ground with no electric power but my wife took my 8W charger and her Goal Zero charger.  As they went into town, they positioned the chargers in the window of the car or they laid them out while on the beach.  They just charged their large capacity USB batteries and then charged everything off of those.  My 8W panel was better than the Goal Zero (7W) panel...it's simply a higher output from the Suntactics panel.  She said they worked like a charm, but it's important you have a long enough USB cord to keep your device out of the direct sun as heat negatively affects the efficiency of the devices.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks rock. I saw the pix of your wifes trip in another post. Good for her!

What makes that charger good? Is it durable? I guess i can rig up some way to protect it. Maybe put it in a small waterproof box.

Also, im not too good with this stuff but iant that amperage variable with solar? Depending on the sun exposure?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks rock. I saw the pix of your wifes trip in another post. Good for her!

What makes that charger good? Is it durable? I guess i can rig up some way to protect it. Maybe put it in a small waterproof box.

Also, im not too good with this stuff but iant that amperage variable with solar? Depending on the sun exposure?
View Quote

I'm biased, but I like that Suntactics makes their portable panels in the US; you pay more, but I've just had the best performance.  They're not fancy, pretty simple.  They are hard-covered and when folded the panels are protected, so you really don't need another protective container.  They can be dunked in water, and when the USB port is dried out they'll work.  I think it what makes it so good is that they've built some very efficient internal wiring to really maximize their amp-output and it's been very consistent from my use.  Yes, sun exposure does impact the output, so most claims are typically representative of ideal conditions...still, the higher the rated output (amps...and within reason as too much can really wear your devices down over time), are your best options to maximize the exposure you do get.  

Higher amperage will just help charge faster as most conditions are not perfectly sunny for a consistent time.  Since most USB's are rated up to 5V, that's kind of the standard for portal solar charges focused on charging USB devices.  

We have some much smarter guys here on the board, hopefully they'll stop by and explain the technical side of it much better.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Well i had the goal zero charger replaced and this one actually recharges. So thats good. But now im wondering if i should get a solar panel that can also run 12v. It would open up options. I really like the panels you posted rock but its too much money for me right now.  Its impressive how tough they are though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top