Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2016 10:49:49 PM EDT
Last year someone posted a link to a sale on these where you could buy individual components at a very inexpensive price.  I only ended up getting some of the patrol bags (green bag) and 1 bivy.  Now I'm kicking myself because I didn't buy at least 1 of the colder weather bags  (black) and a mat.  Does anyone know of a good place online to pick up these other 2 items?  I'm going to use a pack to store it in so I don't need the stuff sack, but I'd like to have a whole system for when I go up to the mountains during the winter just in case.  I've looked on ebay bit I was hoping to find a  ether source.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
For the price, the entire system works, and is a decent deal, BUT.. if you have the chance to pick and choose your cold weather bag, you can do a lot better.

The bivy and the patrol bag are the most useful. I've found that these two plus a a fleece insert is about the limit that I'm willing to want to sleep outside.

Look for a thermarest inflatable backpacking pad if you "need" one. They pack smaller and are more comfortable.

Everyone has their favorite extreme weather bag. The big black usgi one is huge.

The overall system packs down smaller if you keep your patrol/bivy/liner in one stuff sack, and the large bag in another. You can use smaller stuff sacks that you can really wrench down on to help save space.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:14:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the price, the entire system works, and is a decent deal, BUT.. if you have the chance to pick and choose your cold weather bag, you can do a lot better.

The bivy and the patrol bag are the most useful. I've found that these two plus a a fleece insert is about the limit that I'm willing to want to sleep outside.

Look for a thermarest inflatable backpacking pad if you "need" one. They pack smaller and are more comfortable.

Everyone has their favorite extreme weather bag. The big black usgi one is huge.

The overall system packs down smaller if you keep your patrol/bivy/liner in one stuff sack, and the large bag in another. You can use smaller stuff sacks that you can really wrench down on to help save space.
View Quote

Other than being cheap. I have never understood the allure of the military sleep system.  The bags are heavy.  The whole system weighs in at over 8lbs., not including a pad.  They are big and clunky.  If I'm going to carry 8lbs of sleeping gear, please shoot me.  I realize you don't have to carry the whole system everywhere you go, but even just using the parts alone, and not the whole system, they are heavy compared to today's standards for weight/warmth.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Fortunately I only paid $7 a piece for the patrol bags and $15 for the bivy ( I actually bought 3 patrol bags but they sent 4 so I made out even better).  They are all in great shape too.  I used to volunteer for high mountain snow rescues when I was in my early 20's and part of our training was to sleep in the snow.  I froze my ass of in a zero degree bag from REI and just figured the MSS might be a good option.  I appreciate the input from you guys.  Looks like I should stay away from the larger bag and be happy with what I got.  I think I'll check out the sleeping pad though...  if it's in my trunk or on my snowmobile I'm not worried about the weight.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I got mine from www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com

They have individual pieces and complete systems, also they have new and used. If you get on their email list, they have sales.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If you aren't going to carry it on your back the old green extreme weather bag was warmer albeit heavy as an anvil.  

I have both types.  When I do my February in the Adirondacks camping trip I have tried both.  The old style was better although the new style worked with some discomfort at about negative 20.   Personally I'm getting to old for that shit in the dead of winter.  

ETA- I think Midway had them within the last week under a $100.  It may have been like $79.   The sleep system not the old ECW bag.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
The USGI pad that I have sucks and is useless.  It's thinner than my thumb.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the only attraction of the MSS is that with one sleep system you have all 4 seasons somewhat covered. As mentioned it IS heavy, no way would I hike with the complete system. With the patrol bag and a woobie I'm good to around the mid-20s when sleeping in my boxers. The draft tube & collar on the intermediate bag are useless, and until you use one of these things in subzero temps you would not believe how much cold is conducted through the metal snaps. The bags are a little on the flimsy side, too. The temp ratings are survival ratings, not comfort ratings.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:08:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought from these guys prep and more. They are good to go
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Good link.
I picked up one of the light weight sleeping bags and it is in good shape. A USMC ILBE pack in very dirty but serviceable shape. Fleece overalls that were still in the packaging and some recently expired H bandages. Really good prices on everything.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I use modified patrol bag as an over quilt.  Bivvy sack is useful for quick overnights when I don't want to drag along tent or hammock gear
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The bivy is the only part worth a damn, but it is a really handy piece of gear in an emergency downpour.

If you want heavy and inexpensive (not cheap) get wiggys.  They are not small, but are really warm.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Other than being cheap. I have never understood the allure of the military sleep system.  The bags are heavy.  The whole system weighs in at over 8lbs., not including a pad.  They are big and clunky.  If I'm going to carry 8lbs of sleeping gear, please shoot me.  I realize you don't have to carry the whole system everywhere you go, but even just using the parts alone, and not the whole system, they are heavy compared to today's standards for weight/warmth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant stand them, once any of it goes in my bag theres no room for anything else.  I have been using a couple snugpaks for the past few years and am loving it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top