Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2016 8:09:09 AM EDT
I know next to nothing about solar cookers.
I've contemplated getting one for cooking the beans in my food storage since fuel to cook for multiple hours a day would be insane to stockpile.

is there a learning curve to them? are they easy?
big and heavy?
can I get a decent one without spending a shitload?
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I really want a Sun Oven.... They seem really well built and are Made in the USA!  Little pricy but are supposed to be really good.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really want a Sun Oven.... They seem really well built and are Made in the USA!  Little pricy but are supposed to be really good.

http://sunoven.com

View Quote

I sold about 300, including Arfcom group buy  best built on the market
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgBrHzGs7i4&list=PL487C4240DC5D2612&index=1
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I make my own. I was pretty simple. Gets to about 320 oF. I cook my chicken and beans for the week every weekend (except when rain).

I got picks somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I make my own. I was pretty simple. Gets to about 320 oF. I cook my chicken and beans for the week every weekend (except when rain).
I got picks somewhere.
View Quote

Sun Oven gets about 220 when cloudy.  Enough to reheat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I've decided I really like the sos sport oven and I might get the sunflair mini as well for portability
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the sun oven.

It boils water sitting in the snow in about 20 minutes, if I remember correctly. Only had it set up once.

My wife bought it. It can be easily made for much less money I think.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you try out the sunflair?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:00:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I ended up getting the sun oven. I knew the sos would be good in the summer but couldn't find enough info about people using it in the winter and Iowa can get very cold!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered the sunflair mini. Will be testing it out at home before I head to the mountains and report my results.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
since fuel to cook for multiple hours a day would be insane to stockpile.
View Quote

Thermos cooking pretty much eliminates that problem.

Heat the food up to boiling, pour it in a Thermos bottle, and let it finish cooking over the next 2-8 hours.

Basically, it's like using a crock pot that doesn't require any electricity.

They even make Thermal Cookers specifically for that purpose.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Heat the food up to boiling, pour it in a Thermos bottle, and let it finish cooking over the next 2-8 hours.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

since fuel to cook for multiple hours a day would be insane to stockpile.

And a hay cooker.  I made one to complement my solar cooker.  Basically a big box (I got a big assed container at Home Depot) that you can insulate to put your pot in after it gets up to temp.  I just used shredded paper as insulation. I then made a smaller box out of insulated board to go in the middle of the shredded paper, covered my pot with aluminum foil, and used spray foam to make a custom pocket for the pot to go in the middle of the smaller box.  

Now, I can heat a pot of beans to boiling, take off heat, place it in the box, and it cooks over the next several hours (sometimes I leave it over night in there).

Great a saving energy (read that as money) and it is simple, cheap to build and about as low tech as you can get.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Silver mylar car sunshade.  Take 2 bottom corners pull toward middle, duck tape together to make a U shape collector.

Small pot, beans, rice, water, wrap in clear oven bag, place on stand in center.   Will get VERY hot.

I've also made one using a pattern on cardboard, and glued foil on it, works about the same, but took 4x as long to put together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top