Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 4:02:54 PM EDT
I had been planning to pick up a pair of Merrell Moab's for light camping/hiking but have noticed some bad reviews since they started making them overseas (glue holding the toe on coming loose, holes for laces tearing etc..).

Is there an American made alternative in the same style as the Moab mid top or are my fears unfounded?
I'm not planning on climbing mountains in Asscrackistan but I'd like a lightweight hiking boot who's lifespan can be measured in years rather than seasons.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Might give Keen a look. They are made in US and have some similar shoes

http://www.keenfootwear.com/

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Keen, yes. I used to buy Merrell's, but they wore out too quickly. Keens are much better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for Keen.  I'm on my second pair.  I wear them at work every day, on my feet almost all day, and they hold up pretty well in a construction environment.  The ones that I have look like boots enough that no one hassles me about not having steel toes on...
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Been using Moabs for years. They seem to last a pretty long time for me like 3 years before I just wear them out for general wear then I use the old ones for chores when I get a new pair.

Will be sticking with Moabs for as long as they make them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my Moabs, haven't had any issues with mine. I wear keens at work.  I think they are similar in quality. Keens have more toe room. Moabs keep my feet cooler.
I wear recraftable Danners in cold weather and for hunting.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I have not noticed a quality issue with Merrell.

I bought a pair of Moab Rover in September, and they've been awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Last two pairs of moabs have me some QC concerns...after 8 months of daily wear for work.

I went to keen as my hiker. I chose the targhee 2 mid with keen dry. Two years no problem. BUT ..that isn't day to day wear. That's hiking...outdoors or off work.

I do wear Keen koven lows non water proof. Daily.
They are most similar to moabs. Tread ware has been great..after 6 months zero issues. They are a lil lower in the ankle/heel cup than the merrels . Tread is bigger lugged and more aggressive imho.

The targhees have a softer sole I think.

Merrels are great shoes for the $$$ but keen is just as good in that price range.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Love my Keens.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Tagged.  6 month old moab rovers split a seam already.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Another big fan of Keen stuff here. I wear the boots or water shoes every day for dog training.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I have worn both keen and merrell. I also have to replace them every 6-7 months. I use them daily on the job walking on tar/concrete and getting them wet with water and other chemicals(soaps, solvents and degreasers) i like them comfortable and keeps my feet dry
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Lots of suggestions for Keen's.  What model of Keen's is everyone wearing?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lots of suggestions for Keen's.  What model of Keen's is everyone wearing?
View Quote

I wear the targhee 2 mids for hiking...

And the non waterproof Koven low for work.

The koven is near tennis shoe light. And not as wide in the the box as the targhee. But the targhee even for a mid is pretty light imho.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wear the targhee 2 mids for hiking...
View Quote

Ditto. On my second pair. I wore the hell out of the last ones. I actually still wear them but I'm breaking in the new ones. I've had the current pair for several years.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#15]
OP-

I know this not answering your question but my wife has purchased two pair of Merrels in the last year - 1 low and 1 mid height in the same style. She wears one or the other every day -  no problems / look well made to me. Based on this, my son bought a pair approx. 6 mo ago for every day wear. In college, lives on a STEEP hill, walks miles every day, mountain bikes, etc. They look near new and are holding up well.

Be careful of negative reviews. The more I read them, the more I think many of authors are Drongos. I damn near didn't buy a computer case a couple weeks back based on the Neg's. I glad I bought it - 90% of the Neg's were full of crap and product was fine. (Stuff like 1 star - metal too thin & screws strip when putting MoBo in, etc. -> Were you using a screw gun set on high???)
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#16]
if this were 5 years ago I would suggest the Salomon XA PRO (as it was the best, lightest shoe out at the time).  alas, Salomon changed the last they used and now the XA PRO seemingly wont fit ANYONE..

maybe they'll fit you though..

never get goretex in a low-top shoe, by the way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Keen, yes. I used to buy Merrell's, but they wore out too quickly. Keens are much better.
View Quote

Even pair of Merrells I've owned last at least twice as long as any pair of Keens I've owned.

I currently have 2 pair of Moabs; the oldest pair, at about 15 months old, are nicely broken in.  I would destroy any pair of Keens in about 6 months.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#18]
On my 3rd pair of Moabs. These are ready for the trash at 1.5 years old.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Even pair of Merrells I've owned last at least twice as long as any pair of Keens I've owned.

I currently have 2 pair of Moabs; the oldest pair, at about 15 months old, are nicely broken in.  I would destroy any pair of Keens in about 6 months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it mostly a Moab issue. That's also the merrel go to base shoe before you get into that 100+$ range.

I've worn moabs forever. But day to day wear on concrete etc. Your good for 6-9months. Now. They can go longer but I replace once the soles wear down..then they get turned into yard work shoes. This extends life to a gear or more. Last one had mid sole separation 1-2 inches back past the toe cap. All have worn down in the heel cup after time on my one foot(most my shoes do ).

I've wore higher end merrels and they tend to last near that 2 year mark.

The Keen Koven is my daily shoe. 8-10 hour wear time a day. On my feet.

Very little tread wear on the soles beside a lol heel strike. The sole is also a harder rubber than the targhee. On the toe cap is the keen yellow triangle! Symbol. That's not on the targhee and that may mean the koven is on their work/no slip offerings. Time will tell.

But you can't go wrong with either for sub 90$ trail shoes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Check out some of Padagonia's offerings. Had friends with complaints about Merrels and Keens. Very happy with my Padegonia Drifters. Not mids, but they are my non-intense hiking shoes and my moutain biking shoes. They are waterproof too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tagged.  6 month old moab rovers split a seam already.
View Quote

I had a seem split on some Merrels almost a year after buying them, contacted them about it, and they let me pick out another pair for free.  It included a "just this once" agreement, but was a nice move on their part.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
if this were 5 years ago I would suggest the Salomon XA PRO (as it was the best, lightest shoe out at the time).  alas, Salomon changed the last they used and now the XA PRO seemingly wont fit ANYONE..

maybe they'll fit you though..

never get goretex in a low-top shoe, by the way.
View Quote

This is why I had to go 10.5 on my salomons I guess.  I'm a 9.5w in merrells.  Still not sure if I'm sold on these, and they weren't cheap.

My Moab mids with Gore tex and ventilator lows were great shoes and between the two pairs being  rotated lasted about three to four years of daily use. Maybe longer, I'm old and CRS.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Salomon Forces Quest or Speed Assault
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I have never tried any Merrell boots or shoes so I can't speak to them specifically.

I have however had really good luck with Danners in general.  Obviously the higher end you go the better they will be.  Just hunting and hiking I have no problem getting 3~5 years our of any of my Danners.

If you want quality and comfort I suggest a look at the German made Meindl boots.

I have the backpacker model which was discontinued not to long ago.  I also just ordered a pair of the  denali.  They are more of a cross between a hiker and mountaineering boot though.  Deffenatly a "backpacking" boot.  

I think the "perfekt hiker" would suite your needs.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-124-meindl-men-s-34perfekt-8482-34-7-34-hikers/748580.uts?Ntk=AllProducts

They just had a sale so many sizes are sold out...  Once the sale ends they will stock back up.

They are not cheap...  Normal pricing is $250+ for most of their boots and hikers.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Add me to the list of the people who like and recommend Keen. I have wide forefeet and narrower heels, and Keens with their nice wide toeboxes fit me better than any other hiking boot I've tried. The only pair I've had that didn't fit was a pair of Revel III, and those only felt a little tight at the end of the day. If I can find them in wide they'll be perfect.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:09:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Oboz
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP-

I know this not answering your question but my wife has purchased two pair of Merrels in the last year - 1 low and 1 mid height in the same style. She wears one or the other every day -  no problems / look well made to me. Based on this, my son bought a pair approx. 6 mo ago for every day wear. In college, lives on a STEEP hill, walks miles every day, mountain bikes, etc. They look near new and are holding up well.

Be careful of negative reviews. The more I read them, the more I think many of authors are Drongos. I damn near didn't buy a computer case a couple weeks back based on the Neg's. I glad I bought it - 90% of the Neg's were full of crap and product was fine. (Stuff like 1 star - metal too thin & screws strip when putting MoBo in, etc. -> Were you using a screw gun set on high???)
View Quote

Which is why you should listen to mid level reviews..3 stars or so.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Been looking on the net, haven't found anything.  Anybody know what the difference between the Moab and the Moab Ventilator is?  I'm guessing just breathability?  I've got an opportunity at a deal on the Moab waterproofs, but they aren't vents.  Just wondering.

And why the hell can't I find any Keens in wide width locally?  
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Been looking on the net, haven't found anything.  Anybody know what the difference between the Moab and the Moab Ventilator is?  I'm guessing just breathability?  I've got an opportunity at a deal on the Moab waterproofs, but they aren't vents.  Just wondering.

View Quote

"Waterproof"  YMMV

They should call it water resistant.  If you actually hike wet conditions you are better off going non-WP.  Goretex et al just hold moisture in after they soak.  Then they take longer to dry on the trail.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#31]
My MOAB's lasted about 3 yrs of everyday use before they died.  My Keen's are just shy of 5 yrs old.....so take that for what it is.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My MOAB's lasted about 3 yrs of everyday use before they died.  My Keen's are just shy of 5 yrs old.....so take that for what it is.
View Quote

Which Keen?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Koven
View Quote

I have a pair of Koven Polars that I love for snowshoeing when my Sorel Conquests would be overkill, and am just trying to decide whether I want to go mid or low with the Kovens I plan on buying soon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Another vote for Keen, bought a pair of Gypsum's for hiking / backpacking but they are so comfortable I wear them all the time now. As a previous member mentioned I also have a wide foot but narrow heels and have a hard time finding foot wear that fits both areas well either getting calluses on my little toes or blisters on my heels from sliding around but these fit perfect.  No durability problems to report after two +  years of use.

YMMV.

Review of Keen Gypsum's
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Bought a pair of moab mid's last year. They lasted about 4 weeks before the glue started coming apart and the sole was separating from the leather. I took them back and the clerk said its pretty common on the Moab's.

I replaced them with another set of moab's and they have been great for over a year of hard wear.

I think its hit or miss on if you get a good pair.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"Waterproof"  YMMV

They should call it water resistant.  If you actually hike wet conditions you are better off going non-WP.  Goretex et al just hold moisture in after they soak.  Then they take longer to dry on the trail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Waterproof"  YMMV

I hike the Smokies.  I hike in semi-muddy areas and do creek crossings, although I won the gold medal in the hillbilly rock-hopping Olympics back in 2012.  

How "water resistant" are the Moab Ventilators?  I just found a good deal on them $87
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I have two pair of Keens and love them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#41]
REI has  asale on Keen's now.

I bought a pair last week to replace one that wore out.

Targhee II. They run a little small.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Love my keens. Need another pair and will be keen.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I just got the Moab Mids today because they come in wide and were on sale.  They feel springy.  I like them so far, although gotta break them in first.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Just found this deal on Asolo Fugitive GTX at Alpenglow Adventure Gear. Free standard shipping (5-10 business days), price is $96 off retail. These are some rugged, comfy (to me), waterproof, BREATHABLE boots, and they may not last long at this price. I bought a pair even though I wasn't looking for boots LOL.

EDIT: sale is over, back to $240/pair.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Been using Moabs for years. They seem to last a pretty long time for me like 3 years before I just wear them out for general wear then I use the old ones for chores when I get a new pair.

Will be sticking with Moabs for as long as they make them.
View Quote

This.  As a matter of fact I just bought another pair With confidence.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Got home from a few weeks on the road and my wife had a new pair of Moabs waiting for me. I'll give them a shot and report back on em after a few weeks/months.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Got home from a few weeks on the road and my wife had a new pair of Moabs waiting for me. I'll give them a shot and report back on em after a few weeks/months.
View Quote

I got myself a pair of wides, but they still seem a little tight on my pinkie toe.   I wonder if it's a breaking-in thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I got myself a pair of wides, but they still seem a little tight on my pinkie toe.   I wonder if it's a breaking-in thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never heard of Moabs needing any sort of "break in".  They're just thin leather and padded nylon.  Put them on and wear as you would any other shoe/sneaker.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Vasque w/ Superfeet insoles
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top