Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 3:20:06 PM EDT
My wife is pretty much tied to electricity because she has to have a CPAP machine.

I am currently considering options.  One thing I am thinking about is some type of "jump starter"

What are the options there?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Goal Zero 23000 Yeti 400 Solar Generator - Made for CPAP machines

. Power lights, CPAP machines and TVs anywhere with built-in AC inverters
. Chainable with other Goal Zero Yeti 400 for longer runtimes
. Safe for indoor use; refuel from wall, car or sun car charger and solar panel sold separately
. 1.5 ampere USB outlet, 12 volts outlet and 300 watts pure sine AC inverter included

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know about other makes/models, but my Respironics unit has a factory option of a power adapter designed to power the machine off a vehicular battery.

A good, fully charged marine 12 volt will power mine for two nights of camping, and it has been a life-saver since I became ASM of my son's Boy Scout Troop.

View Quote

I'm interested, I'm running a respironics.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Goal Zero 23000 Yeti 400 Solar Generator - Made for CPAP machines

. Power lights, CPAP machines and TVs anywhere with built-in AC inverters
. Chainable with other Goal Zero Yeti 400 for longer runtimes
. Safe for indoor use; refuel from wall, car or sun car charger and solar panel sold separately
. 1.5 ampere USB outlet, 12 volts outlet and 300 watts pure sine AC inverter included

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/917hVNUa21L._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

I've seen similar, but would really like to cut the cost, significantly

I could easily set ip up with a 12 volt deep cycle, but the converter says 24 volt.  So I would have to get two, or get one then go from inverter back to converter (I can't help put think I'm needlessly losing some efficiency there.)
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have not run searches on cpap powered by batteries, do so.  Many folks who car camp or have campers or rv's or similar stuff have cpap machines and it is a question many have asked.

I forget who had the lovely little do it yourself assembly of a portable battery setup, but searching arfcom for something along those lines in the archives of this section should turn it up.

If yours needs 24 volts and you want to only power it, I don't see an issue of making it 24 volts.  Depending on run time you want, and this can play into how often you want to recharge it during a week long power outage or something, you can get to 24 volts in a few ways and they will weigh a different amount.

If you want to be able to do other stuff with this power setup, then yeah 12 volts and an invertor might be the best choice but you will be losing some power to the invertor.  I have several sizes of invertors and try to size the invertor for the job so it does not waste extra power.  Somewhere we had a discussion on invertor efficiency and while a monster 3k watt invertor can run anything under that number it was not real efficient for running say 400 watt stuff.  So having a smaller invertor was the recomendation.  This was also with some of the cheaper invertors, not sure how the expensive stuff plays into it.

My recomendation would be a couple 12 volt batteries, either wired for 24 volts or 12 volts, a properly sized 2 wheel dolly to make moving them around really easy and if needed you can use them for other stuff as time goes on.

To some extent I would probably also see what a 12 volt cpap machine would cost.  I know they need to be adjusted to the person for the air pressure and all that, but could you just get a 12 volt machine and set it and the wife would be ok using it?  Cause then you have a backup cpap machine.

This discussion does come up some for the rv folks and what not and I know a search should turn up some stuff we might miss here.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Consider ditching the CPAP altogether and replacing it with an oral "appliance".

Since my sleep apnea was very poorly controlled with a CPAP, my sleep doctor recommended I try an oral appliance.  It can eliminate sleep apnea by pulling the lower jaw slightly forward when sleeping.  

Advantages:

1. - You can talk and drink liquids when "wearing" the appliance.
2. - Much more comfortable than a CPAP mask'
3. - You're no longer attached by a tube to a machine with any electric power requirements !!
4. - No concerns or hassle when camping traveling by plane

Disadvantages:

1. - Cost  ... mine cost $1800, but my Highmark health insurance paid for everything.
2. - Slightly uncomfortable for about 1 minute after both installation in the evening and after removal in the morning.
3. - The dentist said to expect a 3-5 year life from the device.  I'm considering buying a spare out of my own pocket to avoid ever being without it.

I've been using the Respire Pink for four months now, and I couldn't be more pleased.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFd9lDKLgJo[/youtube]

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
See if the CPAP manufacture makes a 12v adapter. Then buy a deep cycle battery and use the 2. I was able to get 5 days out of my Yellow Top Optima. It might have gone longer, but my hunting trip ended after 5 days.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]
https://www.cpapbatterystore.com/resbett-c-100-cpap-battery-complete-kit-b21/

I am considering the same thing for my CPAP use.  These are pricey but look streamlined n functional.  No experience with them tho.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Consider ditching the CPAP altogether and replacing it with an oral "appliance".

Since my sleep apnea was very poorly controlled with a CPAP, my sleep doctor recommended I try an oral appliance.  It can eliminate sleep apnea by pulling the lower jaw slightly forward when sleeping.  

Advantages:

1. - You can talk and drink liquids when "wearing" the appliance.

2. - Much more comfortable than a CPAP mask'

3. - You're no longer attached by a tube to a machine with any electric power requirements !!

4. - No concerns or hassle when camping traveling by plane

Disadvantages:

1. - Cost  ... mine cost $1800, but my Highmark health insurance paid for everything.

2. - Slightly uncomfortable for about 1 minute after both installation in the evening and after removal in the morning.

3. - The dentist said to expect a 3-5 year life from the device.  I'm considering buying a spare out of my own pocket to avoid ever being without it.

I've been using the Respire Pink for four months now, and I couldn't be more pleased.

http://dental.sleepreviewmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/WholeYouRespirePinkMicro.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFd9lDKLgJo

View Quote
my wife has similar- she would not consistently use the machine, but the mouthguard makes a definite difference in her sleep and snoring.

DO NOT LEAVE IT ON THE BED WHERE YOUR DOG CAN FIND IT! $
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol.   I guess a lot have found that out the hard way!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Ever try mouth to mouth?  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Was camping at least one night a month for a few years as a scout master.

I found 35Ah SLA Battery that worked and hooked it up directly to the machine.

I found a great deal on a Valence U1-12RT 40Ah 12V Rechargeable Lithium-Iron Battery on ebay.  Although they seem to be more $$ still less than a goal zero or other batteries.  These are lighter and more durable than SLA or marine batteries.

That and an inverter and I'm good for a few days.

Forget using your humidifier.

Add a solar charging kit for the longer campouts.

Good to have a backup for when the power goes out at the house as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top