Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 2:27:40 AM EDT
Is there anyone that makes a refillable carbon filter I can use inline with my sawyer filter to remove chemicals? Platypus makes a filter but it's not refillable. Bulk carbon is far cheaper than the 13 dollar platypus filters. They aren't something I want to buy a ton of.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:32:55 AM EDT
[#1]
You might have to make your own...not a bad idea as the Platypus is the only current one I've found (I have an older Sweetwater/MSR inline one); and their disposable, not reusable.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I found one made by Katadyn. It's a bit larger diameter than I'd like but it should work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If you run some searches we got into making them in a reverse osmosis thread I think.  Don't recall if they had their own thread.

PVC pipe and buy the carbon in bulk from fish supply places, I think that was best place to buy it but as usual I forget.

Anyway, you can make it how you want it and even paint it pretty colors.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Sawyer Gravity carbon filter to put in line with the Sawyer Mini.
my mistake, I think it is a Platypus Gravity filter.
I was a little disappointed in how small it was (and expensive for what it was; but good for my immediate use and pack size).
I was thinking along the same ideas; considering if a fuel filter would be threaded to disassemble and filling it with coconut husk activated charcoal.
The next size up looks like a water filter self-contained cartridge @ 6" long and 1.5" in diameter.

Found this, maybe it'll work:     Mr. Gasket 9706 Universal Clearview Fuel Filter   < $6
     Spectre Performance 2369 Universal Clear View Fuel Filter   < $10
     Earl's 230103ERL Fuel Filter < $36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top