Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2016 8:34:37 PM EDT
I'm trying to conceptualize what an EDC would look like after the 90% died off (3-12 months?) after a large scale event.

If we look to cowboys in movies all you need is a horse, saddle, peacemaker, cartridge belt, knife and hat. I highly doubt that as being historically accurate. Even if there was an accurate list it would need to be updated to modern tools and materials.

Maybe it's something like Mad Max or some kitted up warrior?

I really don't see most people running around with plate carriers after things shake out. Interested in your thoughts.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Badguys will be people not brain dead Zeds.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
GD is found under the "General" tab.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm trying to conceptualize what an EDC would look like after the 90% died off (3-12 months?) after a large scale event.

If we look to cowboys in movies all you need is a horse, saddle, peacemaker, cartridge belt, knife and hat. I highly doubt that as being historically accurate. Even if there was an accurate list it would need to be updated to modern tools and materials.

View Quote

Other than the fact that the actual era of the cowboy was historically short, they were not cut off from general society supply-wise. Just like the average mountain man, whose actual historical era was relatively small....
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#5]
My EDC will be unchanged almost entirely. I might have a rifle handy more often. My pockets will be filled with the same stuff.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#6]
so that means the 10% who remain will be the craftiest and smartest (or luckiest).....and they will likely have possession of and choices of 100% of the firearms.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#7]
If your premise is correct, after a 90% population reduction, I would guess that things would settle down rather nicely.

It would be the toilet paper pirates that kill the rest I suppose.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Given your scenario, I'd think that once basic personal protection is accounted for, the most important EDC tools would be those that directly contribute to efficiently scavaging the 90% of excess resource left behind.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]
SgtAr15 is that you?
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:56:39 AM EDT
[#10]

good grief.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I kind of get a kick out of Rick being the leader and carrying all sorts of guns.  After all, he is British and likely needed to be shown which side of a Python to hold onto.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I kind of get a kick out of Rick being the leader and carrying all sorts of guns.  After all, he is British and likely needed to be shown which side of a Python to hold onto.
View Quote

I would imagine that most actors, regardless of birthplace, would have to be shown the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#13]
not my problem
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I imagine most would look homeless, hardcore guys something like this.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Bah...pussys the bunch of then especially that lol fairy in the beard on the left...stub a tie  and he'll crawl up and die........

But yes...it'll be a mix of gear ..were practical meets personal needs.

But the common item Will be a weapon of sorts.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I have no idea, but did no one else notice that what the op posted is a doll\action Figure?.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 5:45:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have no idea, but did no one else notice that what the op posted is a doll\action Figure?.
View Quote
Hence the sgtr15 reply.....

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Most won't know til that day arrives.

I watched the beginning of a movie the other day and it had someone packing a pack for serious backpacking or whatever.  Just ordered stuff, got stuff, packed bag.  Then tried to pick up pack to put it on.  Could not pick up pack.  Could barely move pack around.

Was a heck of a learning curve to see person finally be able to stand with pack on back.  Still looked like a stiff wind could blow em over.

Somehow I do figure a few folks have their gimp suit in the closet and are just waiting for the day it can come out of the closet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:16:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I watched the beginning of a movie the other day and it had someone packing a pack for serious backpacking or whatever.  Just ordered stuff, got stuff, packed bag.  Then tried to pick up pack to put it on.  Could not pick up pack.  Could barely move pack around.

Was a heck of a learning curve to see person finally be able to stand with pack on back.  Still looked like a stiff wind could blow em over.

Somehow I do figure a few folks have their gimp suit in the closet and are just waiting for the day it can come out of the closet.
View Quote

Guessing that was Reese Witherspoon in Wild?
Yeah she had a steep learning curve in that film.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#21]
My guess is EDC would be a pocket knife, a hoe and a water bucket.

Funny how folks think Mad Max is a documentary.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This..
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

No kidding...I'll stick to my current EDC and throw all the boars in the with sows. Have a few dozen bacon seeds running around for barter
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think you are right in many ways. Prepackaged food will be long gone. Wild game will also likely be long gone within the year.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually read the book because it was on my kindle, while it's pretty much a horrible book about drugs and being lost, the preparation for the trail or lack thereof and the first several weeks of lessons are probably very applicable to the topic.  

I think the more prepared will head out in their BOV or bug in with all their stuff  but attrition will be steep at first and unless you're part of a group already you'll probably end up as a hermit.  I don't think wandering will be advantageous to most so EDC is probably going to be a weapon and some other basics and a sever case of nervous twitching
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#26]
People will look homeless. Read Cormic Mcarthy's The Road.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

The movie did really well following that book...
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If it followed it better it'd shock most...they tamed it down a tad.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If it followed it better it'd shock most...they tamed it down a tad.
View Quote

And I was still horrified!
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Maybe it's something like Mad Max or some kitted up warrior?
https://burrellosubmarinemovies.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/mad-max.jpg

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/djskeld/IMG_1076.jpg

I really don't see most people running around with plate carriers after things shake out. Interested in your thoughts.

View Quote

Can't resist..I am set for this scenario......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top