Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2016 4:29:22 AM EDT
So talk to me about packs... I am looking for a pack that will serve multiple purposes that will include hiking/camping, hunting, an as a general BOB if that time happens to come. I want something quality that will carry anything I may need. I have been looking at the eberlestock packs (mainly the G4 operator and the phantom). I like the idea of the weapons carry pocket but it isn't a deal breaker if I don't have that. Are these packs good for the money or can I do better. I would like to spend 450 or less. The other pack I looked at is the IBLE generation 2 pack. I admit I am new to the pack idea and using it for extended stays (4 days or less). I camp and hunt regularly but that is a pretty different concept since I can just load whatever into the truck and go. So am I looking for guidance on packs as well as what are must have items to carry since I know it's way different than loading a vehicle for a camping or hunting trip.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Tactical Tailor extended range operator pack.... I'm quite happy with it! Large enough to carry everything and covered in webbing to add more pouches externally!

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/extendedrangeoperatorpack.aspx
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a Tactical Tailor extended range operator pack.... I'm quite happy with it! Large enough to carry everything and covered in webbing to add more pouches externally!

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/extendedrangeoperatorpack.aspx
View Quote

+1 what I have too.
Thier 30% founders day sal is coming up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an Eberlestock pack (G4 Phantom I think) issued to me and I'm not a big fan. Its nicely made but the barrel hangs down low enough my leg hit the bottom when I walk and its a pain to get the rifle in and out of the sleeve. If you must carry a rifle in the bag then its fine but I wouldn't want to use it as a regular pack.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:19:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Good to know regarding the G4 phantom. So any other recommendations other than tactical Taylor?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault Pack
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatever you choose make sure it has some kind of frame whether it be internal or external. A lot of guys like eberlestock packs but to me they add 5 pounds more to the load out than you need. I would opt for something lightweight made by kelty or osprey in the 50-80 liter range
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:37:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is a recent arfcom thread with several internal frame pack suggestions...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/684968_Packs____What_do_you_use_.html

I am a big fan of Kelty packs but there are many good brands, styles, and designs to choose from this day in age...

Otherwise if your looking for a hauler frame pack I did a comparison video:

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#8]
What kind of hiking?  Camping means you're going to drive your car somewhere, set up a tent, and pretend to be homeless for a night or two.  You really don't need a backpack to do that; a duffle bag is easier to access.  If you're talking about backpacking then you might need two packs; a small one for day hikes and a larger for overnighters (although some ultra-light folks can get a few days stuff into a mid size pack).

If you want a tactical pack, join a tactical unit and they'll give you one for free.  If you want to look like all the other posers out there, there is no shortage of 'tactical' packs from which to choose.

If you seriously want a hiking pack, go to REI and have one fitted (even if you don't buy it from  them).  They will let you try on different brands to see which one fits you better.  A properly fitted and adjusted pack will be a LOT more comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Im headed out to work, but in short, forget about Eberlestock. You have a very decent price range to look at.

How many days do you need to live out of the pack?

If you want a military or tactical style the below manufacturers are where its at.

Mystery Ranch
Kifaru
Arcteryx

Or if you want a civvie pack check out reviews below to start and get an idea of what is/may be important to you.

Outdoor Gear Lab Backpack Review

Definitely go to an REI and get fitted so you know your measurements as packs are not one size fits all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
For hiking/backpacking, other than day hikes, I really like Osprey, Mystery Ranch, and some of the Gregory packs.  Totally agree with getting it fit.  I have hiked a big chunk of the AT with an old Dana Design Terraplane, from before the Mystery Ranch days.  For me, "one packs does it all" packs don't work.  I would look at a serious tac-pack for doing tac things, and an internal frame backpack for actual hiking and such.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I like Kelty packs with internal frames.

Kelty Redwing 50 for example.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#12]
A pack for hiking and a pack for camping should be two different pieces of gear.  If you try to buy one to fit both jobs you will end up with a pack too big for hiking needs or too small for camping needs.  The ILBE you mentioned is a good pack for extended backpacking with heavy loads and is relatively inexpensive for what you get.  If you get one that has the assault pack you will now have a mediocre hiking pack that will interface/ attach to the ILBE.  
My advice would be to think seriously about the activity you think you will be doing, assemble the gear you think you will need to do it, WEIGH THE GEAR, assess whether or not the load you think you want to carry is within your physical capabilities, adjust the pile accordingly, and then go shop for a pack big enough to hold all of it with a little extra room. Whatever pack you go with, try it on first and get it fitted.  A "one size fits all" pack works great for truck camping but usually won't work well for hauling a load across varied terrain.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:22:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 3 Eberlestock packs and have owned several more (Gunslinger 2, X3, X4, Warhammer, G4, Phantom, G1, Halftrack)

I like them, but you have to understand them fully before you purchase. The scabbard is awesome, but it also puts the load away from your body and shouldnt be used for long movements without a weapon inside.  You can tighten it down semi-flush, but it still is different than just having the main compartment up against your back.   The main compartments are almost all the same, the packs are built around a common base.  That main compartment is pretty small and fairly narrow, the majority of the differences in packs is the external pockets they have.

If you are carrying a weapon, their scabbard packs are awesome.  If not, go with something else.  

If you have a large load, use a larger more open pack.  the Eberlestocks are more compartmentalized and are hard to carry larger items in, like armor and helmets.  They just dont have that large 3500ci open bay like an ALICE does.

With the said they are extremely well built and thought out and are very comfortable.  You just have to know what you want it for.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had about 9 Kifaru packs of various sizes.  The butt pack/manpurse Tailgunner is the only one I've kept.  For backpacking, as in living out of your pack, weight is key.  My 70L Osprey Aether is about HALF the weight my MMR was, and has a better suspension as well.  And retails for about $300.  

The Kifaru was multicam though.  

Tactical packs, even from the best domestic makers, aren't as comfortable as Osprey or Deuter packs, the only civvie packs I've had weight in.   If you don't want it really bright, hit it with some spray paint.  

Train with your pack.  You'd be amazed how hard it is to carry 60lbs of stuff more than a mile or two when you aren't used to it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an ILBE Gen2. I like it, except it is very heavy and really almost too big for most of my uses. The lid, is huge. I found the suspension to be comfortable enough, and upgraded the belt with a Hill People Prairie belt.

I did trim a lot of unneeded weight off the pack after my first "backpack trip" with it. I think I shed 1-1.5 lbs without even getting too serious. I removed the carry handles and rubber tubing, hypalon on sides and a few other items. I also cut the bar tacks on the load lifters to get a better angle for support.

After a few mods, it is better, but I still think I will get another pack for actual backpacking. I know it will carry more weight than a regular pack will, and I will keep it for that for now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:51:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the advice. I settled on the kelty falcon 66 (also seen it called the falcon 4000). I am liking it so far.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the advice. I settled on the kelty falcon 66 (also seen it called the falcon 4000). I am liking it so far.
View Quote

Good choice.  That's a big internal frame pack!  If your happy with the Kelty so far and your looking at something a bit smaller but still with an internal frame check out the Redwing line.  They are a great overnight size pack, but also make a very functional day pack, or even travel bag.  Plus you can find them for less than $100 if you look around.

I also recommend keeping an eye on ebay for used kelty packs.  Ketly warranty service is great.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What kind of hiking?  Camping means you're going to drive your car somewhere, set up a tent, and pretend to be homeless for a night or two.  You really don't need a backpack to do that; a duffle bag is easier to access.  If you're talking about backpacking then you might need two packs; a small one for day hikes and a larger for overnighters (although some ultra-light folks can get a few days stuff into a mid size pack).

If you want a tactical pack, join a tactical unit and they'll give you one for free.  If you want to look like all the other posers out there, there is no shortage of 'tactical' packs from which to choose.

If you seriously want a hiking pack, go to REI and have one fitted (even if you don't buy it from  them).  They will let you try on different brands to see which one fits you better.  A properly fitted and adjusted pack will be a LOT more comfortable.
View Quote

This or be prepared to be loved tenderly by your pack.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Good choice.  That's a big internal frame pack!  If your happy with the Kelty so far and your looking at something a bit smaller but still with an internal frame check out the Redwing line.  They are a great overnight size pack, but also make a very functional day pack, or even travel bag.  Plus you can find them for less than $100 if you look around.

I also recommend keeping an eye on ebay for used kelty packs.  Ketly warranty service is great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's really not that big. Unless they changed it. They had two rucks out the falcon 4keep and the larger 7k eagle or some shut. That's not as covered in molle. And has side pouches like a british Bergen .

The 4k is what I have and with the top lid/chest pack removed it's med Alice pack in size.

Its plenty big for 2-5 days like that. Be warned it will darken and fade. My top lid doesn't match the bottom pack as I've never really used it. But that doesn't bother me. I'm not on the trail trying to win REIs camp bitch of the year award to be on their calender.

Only thing I wish it had that some civilians packs have is mesh dual entry pockets at the base of the hip belt for bottles or other carp. Luckily the belt has webbing ..so I've attached at medic pouch and water bottle pouch on each side..

Inside for hydro carrier I run a length of 550 from the stay supports because small carbiners to hang the hydro carrier in the center. The 550 also works as a belt more or less that I hang my holster to. Allows the side arm to he easily accessible.

On smaller packs check out slumberjack...im testing out the strider and so far I'm happy with it. It was well under 70$ ...

Eta fuck autocorrect tablets
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Osprey Aether - recreational backpacking

Mystery Ranch SATL Ruck - serious BOP

Exo Mountain Gear Exo 3500/5500 - serious BOP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top