Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2016 6:51:16 PM EDT
Hello all! :)

The following is a comparison of an original 1984 dated Soviet entrenching tool, and the Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel. This style of shovel has been used for decades by the Russian military, and takes the form of a short symmetrical shovel with a fixed blade attached to a wooden handle. They are an extremely useful piece of kit, not only usable in the primary role as an entrenching tool, but also capable of being a ferocious hand to hand melee weapon.

Let's look at these two designs sheathed, and discuss the sheaths:

The Cold Steel version comes with a simple nylon sheath that is thick and strong, securing the shovel with two nylon straps that go over the shoulders of the shovel, held by snaps. It hols the shovel very well, and the shovel fits snugly inside. The edges are riveted and heavily built. A belt loop is attached at the bottom of the sheath.

The Russian variant in made from the typical greenish brown canvas that has been used for many years. A small black leather strap with buckle secures the shovel. The strap has three holes, and a metal retaining ring for the slack. The mouth of the sheath is reinforced with extra canvas. The Russian sheath has two belt loops made of heavy cotton webbing.

Of the two sheaths, both are very serviceable. I prefer the closure method of the Cold Steel variant but prefer the placement of the belt loops on the Russian sheath.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Now, let's check out the shovels themselves (front and back):

Cold Steel's shovel (unsheathed) measures in at a total length of 20.5"/52cm. The width at the widest point of the blade is just under 6"/15cm. The blade is sharpened from the factory and has quite a sharp edge, and is painted glossy black. The thickness of the blade is .082"/2mm. The handle is some kind of hardwood, with a straight even grain. It is 16"/40.6cm long and attaches to the blade with two large flat head Phillips wood screws. The handle is finished with what appears to be clear polyurethane, and has a swell near the bottom. Replacement handles are available if needed.

The original 1984 dated Soviet shovel (unsheathed) measures in at a total length of 20.25"/51.4cm, just under the Cold Steel shovel. The width of the blade at it's widest point measures just under 6"/15cm, identical to Cold Steel. The Russian blade is not sharpened and is painted matte black. The thickness of the blade is also right at .082"/2mm, identical to Cold Steel's product. It should be noted than in it's advertising, Cold Steel claims there blade is "twice as thick" as an original Russian variant, which may be true of some production runs but not this 1984 dated one. The handle is 15.275"/39mm long. made of an unknown wood, perhaps teak, and seems to be oil stained. It uses smaller wood screws to attach to the blade. Also, the swell at the bottom of the handle is more pronounced than Cold Steel's.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Compared, both shovels seem to be of the same weight and balance the same in the hand. I prefer the feel of the handle on the Russian variant. It is rougher, and the swell near the bottom of the handle allows for a more positive grip. The slick polyurethane on the Cold Steel shovel doesn't offer as good of a grip but it's not bad. The Cold Steel does have the benefit of a factory-sharpened blade that is quite good, but will chip and dent if abused on something other than wood and dirt (guilty as charged :o). It makes chopping and cutting tasks much easier as you can imagine, and is beneficial for defensive use.

Really, you can't go wrong with either of these great shovels. The Cold Steel shovel can be had for less than $20 USD without the sheath. With the sheath, expect to pay as little as $25 if you shop around. Original Russian issue shovels are more expensive, but still affordable. eBay is a great source and you can get unissued examples in the $50-$60 range or even quite a bit less if you catch a deal. If think it's worth it for the collector's value and "cool factor", but as a used the Cold Steel is every bit as good.

Both of these shovels are extremely well constructed, and are incredibly tough. This design is very practical, both as a tool and a weapon. They are useful for everything from chopping down small trees and clearing light brush, digging yourself a slit trench, to defending yourself from attack. They are ideal to throw in the trunk or in a backpack. If you don't own one of these, I highly recommend getting one.

Thanks all! :D
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I do like my CS shovel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't seem to embed the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGIBJeRfnQ

The guys at Inrange TV discuss the German field shovel being used for hand to hand combat during World War 1, which is similar in concept to the Russian shovel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#6]
A CS shovel rides in both mine, and my wife's Jeep.  Good shovel/ tool to have on hand when needed.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice overview, OP.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry the CS version in my Suzuki Samurai and it has never let me down - and I have used it many times...
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 1:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice overview, OP.
View Quote

Indeed, now I want one of the originals !
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 1:52:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The guys at Inrange TV discuss the German field shovel being used for hand to hand combat during World War 1, which is similar in concept to the Russian shovel.
View Quote

Fuck that video.

Here's one straight from the manufacturer, starring fat choppy guy and Zakk Wylde!

Link
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't see any back-flipping shovel throws in any of those videos.

Fail.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Russian shovel looks to be a copy of the pointed blade Austrian pattern E-tool, which was very similar to the German pattern in construction and purpose, the difference being the German pattern featured a square blade.

The E-tool was a very effective close combat weapon, and I've seen contemporary illustrations showing that it was frequently used in combination with a pistol in the trenches.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
If I'm looking to buy a Cold Steel one, do I run the risk of buying a cheap copy? Where are these made, btw?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread made me realize I needed a Russian army shovel for the jeep.......
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Well i was inspired to order one today for some backyard work. I ordered the titanium one off of amazon.
Ill do a review when i receive and use it.
Gonna clean up some backyard nightmare
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If I'm looking to buy a Cold Steel one, do I run the risk of buying a cheap copy? Where are these made, btw?
View Quote
It's Cold Steel.  So, China somewhere.  There exists cheap chinese copies of Cold Steel stuff?

They are already really cheap.  Like $25 or something.

Get one directly off their website if you are worried about a copy.  The ones on Amazon were legit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well i was inspired to order one today for some backyard work. I ordered the titanium one off of amazon.
View Quote

Looking forward to hearing about it's chopping ability. I saw the titanium one but was concerned about the lack of weight for chopping.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's Cold Steel.  So, China somewhere.  There exists cheap chinese copies of Cold Steel stuff?  

Get one directly off their website if you are worried about a copy.  The ones on Amazon were legit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some sellers on Amazon have been known to sell seconds as full quality. I don't know how often it happens. I always buy from CS, or from their Special Projects site (whichever has a better price).
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Russian shovel looks to be a copy of the pointed blade Austrian pattern E-tool, which was very similar to the German pattern in construction and purpose, the difference being the German pattern featured a square blade.

The E-tool was a very effective close combat weapon, and I've seen contemporary illustrations showing that it was frequently used in combination with a pistol in the trenches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While it's a fiction book, I'm sure the quote from All Quiet On The Western Front is based on real experience and use.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Looking forward to hearing about it's chopping ability. I saw the titanium one but was concerned about the lack of weight for chopping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well its ordered through Amazon. Just waiting on it to arrive.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Fat Choppy Guy is Lynn Thompson owner/founder(?) of Cold Steel and he is straight up a bad ass. Dollar for Dollar maybe the best there is available.

Here's one straight from the manufacturer, starring fat choppy guy and Zakk Wylde!

Link
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Holy Shit!, I didnt know I had a Cold Steel shovel until visiting this thread.  Picked up a new one, without sheath for 10 bucks off a junk table at a funshow.  The mini me Son found it / wanted it.    

Enjoyed the video.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll go with the CS.  Every Russkie and East German shovel I've had busted right at the collar and handle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#24]
WW-2 era Swiss E-tool for the win.

They used to be available as a three-fer from Sportsman's Guide for $29.00.

I bought three and keep one in each vehicle.

Of course they have dried-up and command higher prices now.

Here is one up for bids on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWISS-MADE-WW-II-ERA-ENTRENCHMENT-SHOVEL-TRENCH-TOOL-W-LEATHER-COVER-RG-CIE-41/331838501700?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3De4f2215c6a7944f1843d606c4a54b751%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D9%26sd%3D351578626355

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to keep in each of my cars a trifold shovel then the CS shovel but I finally got one of these real shovel in compact size.  It's about 5" longer but much more user friendly when you really need to shovel something.  The larger size isn't a problem when keeping them in the trunk.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Those plastic handles break, especially in cold climates.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Those plastic handles break, especially in cold climates.
View Quote

I'm in South Florida. Last time I was exposed to freezing temp. was 19 years ago when I lived in Poland.
The plastic handle is holding up fine for me but for those of you up north there are other manufacturers who makes similar small shovel with metal handle.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a German Henkel one and while it is very nice,  I went with shorter versions of full size shovels in my vics after the first time I had to dig out the truck.  They get swapped for cut down snow shovels in the winter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top