BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Ehhh, neat, but if you're going to go to that trouble, just get one of those metal cone filters, a SS wide mouth container and two mugs.  

Boil 20oz of water in the SS container, remove from fire for 30 seconds (200*,) take 25gm (6 rounded Tbs) of ground coffee and put it in the SS container, stir for 4 minutes, take cone filter and place over 10oz mugs and pour coffee into them.

Clean SS container and tap out filter and rinse.

You'll have a grand tasting cup of Joe with minimal fuss and clean up.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ehhh, neat, but if you're going to go to that trouble, just get one of those metal cone filters, a SS wide mouth container and two mugs.  

Boil 20oz of water in the SS container, remove from fire for 30 seconds (200*,) take 25gm (6 rounded Tbs) of ground coffee and put it in the SS container, stir for 4 minutes, take cone filter and place over 10oz mugs and pour coffee into them.

Chris

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Chris

OP said he was looking for a French press.... personally, I just use the Cafe Bustelo instant espresso......

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OP said he was looking for a French press.... personally, I just use the Cafe Bustelo instant espresso......  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

That's because most people don't realize how easy it is to make a good cup of coffee.

How does a French Press work?  It's a glass vessel with a plunger made up of three pieces that all need to be cleaned and taken apart.

Other than that, the metal cone filter works almost as well as a Bodum's filter if one pours slowly and is easier to clean up while back packing and/or camping and where water might be in short supply.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Was about to buy the Aero Press and yesterday I found a GSI Enamelware Percolator on sale for $10 at REI.  

Problem is, on the inside there's a little chip of enamel that came off.  Does anyone know if this is dangerous or not?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Plenty of interesting ideas in here, but I have simplified even more than a french press. All a press is, is a way to screen out your coffee grinds after it steeps for a few minutes. So,  I just throw my grounds in the pot after it boils, let it steep for a few minutes or however long, let the grounds settle some, then pour it through a mesh filter into my cup. If you really travel light, most grounds settle out and you can just pour the coffee right into a cup anyway with no filter.

When I do this, if I want the coffee to brew a bit longer, I might keep it closer to the flame so it stays warmer and brews stronger for a few minutes, but I don't brew it much longer than 5 minutes anyway.

There are any number of mesh filters, or plastic filter cones that take a paper filter that you can use. Coffee grounds in hot water is the same whether you have a french press or a percolator. You just have to filter it a bit as you pour it out.  If you want to have a few cups of coffee over the next hour, just pour it through your filter into a separate pot unless you like it getting super strong and bitter as it steeps for an hour.

Granted, it's not so fool proof and simple as a keurig, but it is not rocket science either, and if you keep an eye on it, you can still make decent coffee. If you use a cone with paper filters, it will be just as clear as your drip coffee at home. Mesh filter let a little bit of sediment through, but at least you don't have to carry anything extra.

On a different note, even when you pre-filter water in the field, you must know that in an hour or so even muddy water will have most particles settle out in an hour, and you can pour off the much cleaner water easily. Of course you should still filter and treat accordingly, but let gravity do it's thing when you can. I'm  not advocating drinking from muddy water, just that particles naturally settle out, making the next steps in filtering easier.

ETA: I know the OP asked for a French Press, but we're putting simpler suggestions out there. Chris' example below is spot on and works.

Quoted:

Chris
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You guys are funny,

but Starbucks VIA is still a viable choice, even for car camping, quick, easy and virtually no clean-up.

but if you really want a press,
the Aero Press is a good choice,
no glass to break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any of you guys found any good instant coffee?

I carry the single serve Starbucks packs. Ain't nobody got time for coffee presses while backpacking..

But in the OP it specifically states we aren't talking about backpacking.

Ain't nobody got time for reading...

You guys are funny,

but Starbucks VIA is still a viable choice, even for car camping, quick, easy and virtually no clean-up.

but if you really want a press,
the Aero Press is a good choice,
no glass to break.

The difference between via and aero quality tho....  aero is worth the weight.  Don't have to bring all the accessories/stirrer/scooper etc
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My cup is about 20oz.  I have to fill the Aero then let it drip nearly empty, the fill it back up and press.  If you try to press more than once you have about a 50/50 likelinesss of blowing out the filter and getting lots of grounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those that have the Aero Press, how many ounces or cups can it make per press/use?

My cup is about 20oz.  I have to fill the Aero then let it drip nearly empty, the fill it back up and press.  If you try to press more than once you have about a 50/50 likelinesss of blowing out the filter and getting lots of grounds.

That would not be the method I would use.... I regularly make 16+oz cups with it..  just brew some jet fuel and add water.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ive got an aeropress and rarely use it. It makes a good cup, but is a little bit of a pain to use.  If you like a "ritual" to make coffee you will like the aeropress. The last thing I want to do is have to set up an aeropress in the morning just out of bed. I use 18 grams of coffee and it just can't quite make it strong enough for my 16 ounce cup. close though.

I have the stanley thermos french press. It works pretty good.  

Starbucks Via is pretty good and very convenient. I use one packet with about 12 ounces of water.  Tasters choice 100% columbian packets aren't terrible, much better than the other robusta instant coffees.  

A portable drip filter works fine too.
View Quote

Use more?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's because most people don't realize how easy it is to make a good cup of coffee.

How does a French Press work?  It's a glass vessel with a plunger made up of three pieces that all need to be cleaned and taken apart.

Other than that, the metal cone filter works almost as well as a Bodum's filter if one pours slowly and is easier to clean up while back packing and/or camping and where water might be in short supply.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Chris

Aeropress > drip cone > french press

I have all 3 lined up on my counter.  Only use french if making a bunch if coffee at once, and I secretly go "mehhhh" to myself.  

And yeah I have an adjustable grinder.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Was about to buy the Aero Press and yesterday I found a GSI Enamelware Percolator on sale for $10 at REI.  

Problem is, on the inside there's a little chip of enamel that came off.  Does anyone know if this is dangerous or not?
View Quote

Percolater is kind of a pain in the ass, not rec'd compared to aero or just cone drip
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top