Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2016 12:17:11 PM EDT
Looking for a French-press type coffee maker.  Not concerned with using it for backpacking, but more car camping.  Any suggestions?  Looking for something easy to use and clean and isn't going to take a lot of time in the morning when you're cranky.  Use for only one person.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Aero press hands down.  Easy to clean and no glass.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on Aero Press
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's my in camp and daily use coffee maker.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Any thoughts on a solution for 50-100 people?

I tried running a coffee pot off my generator last year, and it worked...but not well.  I was thinking this year just have a couple of French presses and keep a big pot of water boiling.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Stanley makes a small single serve thermos that has a drinking lid and is also a french press.  I like it a lot.

The coffee does not cool off at all.  You need to add several ounces of cold water after you press, or you won't be able to drink it.

Amazon sells it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a french press travel mug off of Amazon last week. The only complaint I have with it is that there is about an ounce or 2 of coffee left in it below the press.  For $20 though it's not bad and it's keeping the coffee in it hot for at least 2 hours.  The first time I used it took me that long to drink it cause it was so hot.

Asobu French Press Travel Mug.

This is this first time I've used a french press and now my only problem is what am I going to use for camping for about 5 days that will be good for only 10 cups worth of grounds.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Any of you guys found any good instant coffee?
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Ikea French press for $9.

I don't wash until I get home.
Just rinse the used grounds out and your ready for the next pot
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry the single serve Starbucks packs. Ain't nobody got time for coffee presses while backpacking..
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I carry the single serve Starbucks packs. Ain't nobody got time for coffee presses while backpacking..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Starbucks Via FTW!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Impress coffee press it has lasted me 3 deployments so i am pretty sure it will last quite a few camping trips.  It's completely made of stainless steel and it doubles as an insulated cup.

$29.95
http://shop.designbox.us/in-house-brands/presse-coffee-brewer/

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any thoughts on a solution for 50-100 people?

I tried running a coffee pot off my generator last year, and it worked...but not well.  I was thinking this year just have a couple of French presses and keep a big pot of water boiling.
View Quote

Big ass pot...get water hot.
Grab ole cheesecloth or as I've done knee high pantyhose.
Put coffee in the cloth /hose and tie
Big ass tea bag.
Stir with big spoon etc.
Pour into 2-5 gallon.igloo drink.cooler. refresh as needed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel so low-brow... I've never used a coffee press; for both camping and power-outage use at home, we still use an old steel percolator.

What's the advantage of a french-press over a percolator? Is it faster, less coffee required, etc..?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I feel so low-brow... I've never used a coffee press; for both camping and power-outage use at home, we still use an old steel percolator.

What's the advantage of a french-press over a percolator? Is it faster, less coffee required, etc..?
View Quote

My wife's a coffee drinker.  And she's pretty particular about her coffee.  I'm not, so I don't know. All I do know is that we're planning a big camping trip this summer and the last thing I need is her in a bad mood with no or bad coffee.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

A percolator must be watched and have the heat source carefully adjusted to get the right perk.

A press coffee maker is much easier.
Boil water in a separate kettle.
Add medium to coarse grid coffee to press.
Fill with hot water.
Wait a few minutes.
Put the top on the press and push the plunger down.
Drink coffee.

When camping I get a BIG kettle boiling and make three pots of coffee in about 10 minutes.
Follow the above instructions,
Then pour coffee into a thermos.
Remove top/plunger.
Rinse out with water.
Repeat.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet. Of course if my wife hates it for a week straight I'm blaming you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll second the Starbucks Via packets. Next best thing to fresh brewed and they weigh nothing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But in the OP it specifically states we aren't talking about backpacking.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Folgers tea bags of coffee....I'm not a bean snob lol

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Aeropress
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

We've got a JFG plant in our downtown, and if you hit it between about 8am - 10am the whole damn place smells like burnt folgers.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One more woman to blame me for shit won't hurt too much I guess......
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't nobody got time for reading...
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess you could get a press that fits inside a jetboil. It would work for your purposes and keep things fairly simple.  That said, I got rid of mine.

I never could tell the difference between coffee pushed through the press I had for my jetboil and coffee I made by simply pouring hot water over grounds in a filter and basket I brought from my home coffee maker. I ended up giving away the press because it was messier than the normal way to make coffee on my home-plug-into-wall Bunn coffee maker.

I do the following, and it tastes the same as if it was made at home:
1. put coffee filter in basket
2. put coffee in filter
3. balance basket on open mouth of thermos or coffee cup
4. pour adequate amount of boiling water over coffee.  Don't let the pool of water drain entirely out while you are pouring, or filter will clog.  methodically pour a stream over any areas that aren't as saturated.
5. wipe coffee bean grease out of basket with paper towel and don't have to worry about cleaning anything else.
6. enjoy coffee.
7. pour more from thermos when empty.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#25]
SO and I use a GSI Outdoors french press car camping and 1-2 night backpack trips. It's the perfect size for what we use it for. Good for one serving each.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not a coffee snob so I use instant coffee. I do have an rei press that i use sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  Smoothest coffee there is. I hardly use anything else anymore.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm not a coffee snob so I use instant coffee. I do have an rei press that i use sometimes.
View Quote

I was just at home in L.A. visiting my dad and siblings and he had the bottle of instant coffee out making a mug before my sister got up and hit the CharBucks for his daily Moca-Wabbie.

I used his Keurig K-Cup maker for the 20 days I was there and it wasn't bad, at least some of the Peets blends--their new 'Big Bang' is actually a very decent cup.

I just ordered 6# of African, Indonesian and Central America green beans to roast, so while I'm not a coffee snob, I do appreciate the better coffees.

Getting back to the OP's query, I don't know which of my three preferred methods I'd bring on a car camping type trip.

My Moka pot would work on a Pocket Rocket type stove, but it would be hard to clean out and use a lot of water.  Plus, it's commonly found in single serve sizes.

My Bodum FP would work, but it's glass and more fragile.  Still, it's easier to clean out and makes at least 3 standard cups of coffee at a time, so that's a bonus.

My Cory vacuum pots wouldn't be suitable at all.

Something like the Chemex pot with paper filters would probably be the best if you could keep the carafe from breaking.  Easy to clean, filter goes in the trash and you can get them up to 8 cups in size, so enough for a couple/few people at a time and the coffee supposedly tastes pretty good.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Ain't nobody got time for reading...
View Quote

You guys are funny,

but Starbucks VIA is still a viable choice, even for car camping, quick, easy and virtually no clean-up.

but if you really want a press,
the Aero Press is a good choice,
no glass to break.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I carry a jetboil flash and have used their press, it worked OK but switched to VIA after my first try.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I use the instant packets when backpacking.  I'm not a coffee snob, but after somebody brought an aero press into work, I've since bought 20-30 pounds of coffee.  Along with the coffee others have bought, we've accumulated 2 more aero presses and a small grinder.  Sadly, it's part of my morning ritual.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Maxim Mocha Gold Korean Instant Coffee Camping with your pinky in the air
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I use the instant packets when backpacking.  I'm not a coffee snob, but after somebody brought an aero press into work, I've since bought 20-30 pounds of coffee. Along with the coffee others have bought, we've accumulated 2 more aero presses and a small grinder.  Sadly, it's part of my morning ritual.
View Quote

You might be in denial.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Those that have the Aero Press, how many ounces or cups can it make per press/use?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I really do appreciate all these suggestions guys.  I'm still going over all your suggestions and aren't blowing anyone off.  It's going to be a "present" for the wife to make her feel a bit better about camping and not bite my head off in the mornings, so needless to say it's an important decision.  

The Aeropress is winning out so far, but it's a bit expensive considering what else we're having to buy for the trip.  But it sounds also like it can be used regularly at home too, so that's a plus.  

One more question:  Can you brew tea in the Aeropress too?  (I know nothing about coffee/tea making so be patient)
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I really do appreciate all these suggestions guys.  I'm still going over all your suggestions and aren't blowing anyone off.  It's going to be a "present" for the wife to make her feel a bit better about camping and not bite my head off in the mornings, so needless to say it's an important decision.  

The Aeropress is winning out so far, but it's a bit expensive considering what else we're having to buy for the trip.  But it sounds also like it can be used regularly at home too, so that's a plus.  

One more question:  Can you brew tea in the Aeropress too?  (I know nothing about coffee/tea making so be patient)
View Quote

I drink a lot of loose leaf teas and teas are pretty easy to brew, especially if you have them in tea bags.  You can even buy quality 'empty' tea bags from places like Teavana at the mall (owned by Starbucks) and stuff your own based on how much you'll be brewing (pitcher vs. two cups' worth.)

After I posted here, I started reading up on the AeroPress and I'm tracking one on Ebay at about $34 shipped.  There's one coffee place on the net that has them for $32 shipped, but I already have my bases covered, although it seems to be pretty portable.

I don't see why you couldn't brew tea in an AeroPress, sans the micro filter, but just about any vessel that can withstand boiling water, will work, so if you're just doing tea, don't bother with the AP.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Those that have the Aero Press, how many ounces or cups can it make per press/use?
View Quote

My cup is about 20oz.  I have to fill the Aero then let it drip nearly empty, the fill it back up and press.  If you try to press more than once you have about a 50/50 likelinesss of blowing out the filter and getting lots of grounds.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My cup is about 20oz.  I have to fill the Aero then let it drip nearly empty, the fill it back up and press.  If you try to press more than once you have about a 50/50 likelinesss of blowing out the filter and getting lots of grounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bummer, my favorite travel mug is 20oz.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#39]
It only takes a minute to drip the first fill, then refill and press the second fill.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It only takes a minute to drip the first fill, then refill and press the second fill.
View Quote

Yeah. It'd just be nice to be able to do it in one shot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Strange, until I read this thread I didn't realize I need an AeroPress
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Ive got an aeropress and rarely use it. It makes a good cup, but is a little bit of a pain to use.  If you like a "ritual" to make coffee you will like the aeropress. The last thing I want to do is have to set up an aeropress in the morning just out of bed. I use 18 grams of coffee and it just can't quite make it strong enough for my 16 ounce cup. close though.

I have the stanley thermos french press. It works pretty good.  

Starbucks Via is pretty good and very convenient. I use one packet with about 12 ounces of water.  Tasters choice 100% columbian packets aren't terrible, much better than the other robusta instant coffees.  

A portable drip filter works fine too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#43]
For car camping, I always used my french press. That is until I broke it.

Another option is Jiva Cubes. Probably the best cup of instant coffee I've had and they have options that include sugar.

Starbucks Via, Folgers Instant, and Nescafe Taster's Choice all have a rotation in my backpacking coffee choices.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I just use a coffee filter and rubber bands over a cup,
and pour boiling water over it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protus do you just open them up and swap the tea for coffee and then staple them back up? That's a great idea!
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Protus do you just open them up and swap the tea for coffee and then staple them back up? That's a great idea!
View Quote

Teavana, found in the malls and owned by Starbucks, sells both small single serve sizes and pitcher sizes of nice virgin tea bag bags, which should work.

You can go online and find them.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#47]
A friend of mine had this Planetary Design one, mug with the press built in, and storage for more coffee in the bottom. Pretty perfect for one person.

https://www.liquidplanet.com/product/double-shot-travel-french-press-mug/
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#48]
A year or two ago I bought a neat little coffee press thermos mug at walmart in with the camping stuff IIRC. It holds like 12 oz of liquid, you put in the coffee grounds, put in the press part and press it down after steeping.  A silicone lid fits over and seals everything.  My only complaint is that it isn't very big but it works great.  The nice thing is you don't need a separate pot.  As for tea you just need a travel mug.  Pour in hot water, drop in a tea bag and put on the lid and done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top