Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2016 12:43:43 PM EDT
Needing a axe but know almost nothing about them.  Looking for info.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess it all depends on what you're going to want to chop down and what your budget is?

I bought an Estwing 16" Campers Axe for my SHTF kit because it was $50 shipped, it's big enough to do larger jobs more easily than a smaller hatchet and it gets good marks.

I don't 'expect' to use it very much, if ever, but it's a decent tool for not a lot of cash.

Had I the money to burn, it would have been a Gransfors Bruk, because they seem to be the creme de la creme of forest/tree cutting axes/hatchets.

Disclaimer: I'm just a hack, no pun intended.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually fine old axe heads and re-handle them!
That not for everyone!
Like ChrisGarrett said what are you plans/usage for said axe?
I all so agree the ESTWING is a good chose for the money for a first axe!
If you want to look at  Estwing 16" Campers Axe or any Estwing.
Home Depot carry's them!
Keep the hive posted, on what you decide! With pictures of course!

PITA45
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]
All depends on your usage.  I've carried a Gerber axe for a while when backpacking or camping when needed and it's surprisingly been a great little axe.  For larger uses it would be really undersized.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
You really need to try and understand what you might need an axe for before you pick the right one. If you don't have a lot of experience with them then you might need to watch some videos on Youtube to help you decide what you might need one to cut.

For my get home and bug out kits I really want to go as light as possible. That is why I am researching and trying out tomahawks. They work well for the kind of wood cutting I would need to do to build a shelter and fire or building traps. A hawk is not well suited to processing lots and lots of fire wood. That is usually not on the menu when you are moving fast and light. Large fires are not a great idea when you are trying to stay off the radar.

For a pack axe used by a group when a bigger fire is required I would move up to a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe or something in the same size range. I just did a thread in the Outdoors Discussion area on these size axes.

A boys axe is quite a bit bigger but it also would be the right size to be packable but plenty heavy. These are usually in the 2 lb range.

Full sized axes are better left for around the house and farm.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Have any of you guys used any of the Fiskar brand axes?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the Fiskars hatchet with the 15" or so handle. It cuts very well. It feels pretty nice in the hand and it penetrates deep. It does stick a bit more than a convex edge hatchet and it seems to dull just a bit faster than my other older hatchets. My hatchet is a good quality tool.

I have not used the full sized axes or splitting axes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Been very happy with my Estwing Camper axes.  Bought the first one almost 30 years ago.  Bought the 2nd one 20 years ago when I couldn't find the first one (it fell behind some shelving).  Recently bought one of the hatchets at HD.  Hard to go wrong with anything from Estwing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Hultafors and Granfors Bruks on my trap line. I love Swedish axes. They're perfect for 20" axes.
I use bigger axes for felling and splitting, I have a couple of Kelly Perfect axes for that chore. I have a Estwing 26" campers axe that falls into the "medium" size category. It's cheap and easy to sharpen and cuts well, not so good for splitting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one GB and love it. I am not familiar with the Hultafors. How do you think they compare?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Grunsfors Bruk outdoors axe. (Think that's the name)
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#13]
all fine choices above; add in Wetterlings and Condor to the list also.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:54:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Last weekend I took down an 11" tree with a Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe. It came very sharp and took a while to down something that size.  Normally I'd use something bigger for that purpose but it still did the job just fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You really need to try and understand what you might need an axe for before you pick the right one. If you don't have a lot of experience with them then you might need to watch some videos on Youtube to help you decide what you might need one to cut.

For my get home and bug out kits I really want to go as light as possible. That is why I am researching and trying out tomahawks. They work well for the kind of wood cutting I would need to do to build a shelter and fire or building traps. A hawk is not well suited to processing lots and lots of fire wood. That is usually not on the menu when you are moving fast and light. Large fires are not a great idea when you are trying to stay off the radar.

For a pack axe used by a group when a bigger fire is required I would move up to a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe or something in the same size range. I just did a thread in the Outdoors Discussion area on these size axes.

A boys axe is quite a bit bigger but it also would be the right size to be packable but plenty heavy. These are usually in the 2 lb range.

Full sized axes are better left for around the house and farm.
View Quote

+1

also:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_1/605734_Axes_and_Hatchets.html

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:47:57 AM EDT
[#16]
If you spend a LOT of time in the woods, I'd say spend the money on a Gransfors Bruk and be content that you have the best in the business.

If you're a casual camper, check out Hardcore Hammers. I have a Naturalist Curved Hatchet and love it.

I also have a $20 hatchet from Home Depot I use around the yard at home. It does it's job very well.

And watch this video:

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:54:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Grunsfors Bruk outdoors axe. (Think that's the name)
View Quote

I'd love to have an excuse for a Gransfors but for day to day and SHTF it would be very hard to beat anything from the estwing lineup.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Got a Fiskers pole ax, it's a beast.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#19]
If hiking my fiskars. Otherwise my old Swedish or German headed axes I have rehandled
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#20]
What you seek is the husqvarna field axe. It is made by hults bruks in sweden.  Cost is half of other sweden made axes.  Quality is excellent.  Be warned once you get using it you will be hooked on quality axes.  I now search for axes of old to restore.  I have close to 20 restored and put back in service.  Check u tube for many good tutorials on axe use to avoid injury.  Wranglestar has posted many on use and care that are worth viewing.  I have no ties to husqvarna or Wranglestar.  Just trying to promote safe use.

http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-576926201-Curved-Handle-Multipurpose/dp/B004WJGXAQ
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Needing a axe but know almost nothing about them.  Looking for info.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

You really need to define your use outdoors(for yourself).  If I'm backpacking what I carry is going to probably be a small belt ax.  If I am offroading I have a nice midsize Plumb I keep behind the seat.  If I'm splitting wood at home I will probably use a maul.  If I'm felling trees to make a cabin I've got some good older felling axes.

I find I really like using double bit axes,  you can have each side fine tuned for specific tasks,  the sharpening for felling isn't ideal for limbing and chopping around dirt and stones or barbed wire grown into trees.

It's like everything else, there are overlaps but there are some tools that are better for some tasks than others, and you have regional differences and personal preferences too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have one GB and love it. I am not familiar with the Hultafors. How do you think they compare?
Thanks.
View Quote

Almost identical in quality.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#24]
If just throwing it in a pack; either my Estwing camping axe (leather stacked handle) or my fiskars.  They're ok for what they are and price point.

But if I might do some real work, my GB small forest axe.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I modified a Vaughn roofers hatchet.

Was about $22 and a fun project.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Tomahatchet_2.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Tomahatchet_5.jpg
View Quote

Agree - I use a stock riggers hatchet - 28 oz. Head, 18" overall length
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Wetterlings Bushman Axe, but I have several Gransfors Bruks in larger and small sizes than the Bushman.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a Fiskars, and think it is a good starter hatchet.  It's fairly light weight too (+ for hiking, - for heavy use).
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wetterlings Bushman Axe, but I have several Gransfors Bruks in larger and small sizes than the Bushman.
View Quote

This would be an excellent choice, especially if you plan on hammering tent pegs, trap stakes, etc.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I use the smaller one it's g2g
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#30]
For casual use i carry the 12" Gerber/Fiskars.  For specific camping/hunting, i chage out to GB Wildlife 12" or GB 19" hunters axe.  As others have said, i bought an older Collins Hudson Bay head, and re handled with a 26" hickory.  Really like this size.  One of these days i will add a Hultafors to the fold, they seem like the best value for Swedish axes these days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
I use a Fiskars "Chopper" axe. (As opposed to the "splitter" axe.)

It's OK.  I sort of wish the blade and head were a bit more rounded, but it does the job and doesn't feel like it will fall apart.

For what I use it for, it works well.  (Cutting down standing dead wood of 1 to 6 inches in diameter to collect wood for camp fires and out-door cooking.)

I assume the hatchet sized ones work well too.  I have a "brush tool" by Fiskars (with the curved in hook blade) and it has taken a lot of abuse and still works too.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#33]
For general utility around the homestead, or in my Jeep I also like a good estwing 26" camper axe.  Not something I would take to far into the woods but still a very long lasting tool.  Obviously a wood handled tool will work better but they make a good beater.

I also recommend any of the cold steel hawks.  They are all good working tools once you tune them up a bit.  

My most used woods axe is probably my northern tool 24oz camp axe head mated to a 19" handle.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I was using my Estwing campers axe to work on a slash pile. I was cutting through 4 to 5" limbs with just a few swings. That thing bites deep, but the thin blade gets stuck easy.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a wetterlings 19" .  It is a good packable  size while being big enough to do a decent job chopping. Been thinking about adding one of those Swedish made 26" Husqvarnas that are still going for a reasonable rate.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was using my Estwing campers axe to work on a slash pile. I was cutting through 4 to 5" limbs with just a few swings. That thing bites deep, but the thin blade gets stuck easy.

<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/Guns/5C1904CA-AEB1-4B0A-92F1-EF19F5360B31_zpskiyi47ss.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/Guns/5C1904CA-AEB1-4B0A-92F1-EF19F5360B31_zpskiyi47ss.jpg</a>
View Quote

They do get stuck easy, more of a limber then log splitter that's for sure.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a wetterlings 19" .  It is a good packable  size while being big enough to do a decent job chopping. Been thinking about adding one of those Swedish made 26" Husqvarnas that are still going for a reasonable rate.
View Quote

I also have tossed around the idea of getting one of the Husqvarna axes but have a hard time justifying it.  Chances are if its to big to take "camping" or "hiking" in the woods I won't use it.  And if I am home I will just use a chainsaw or powered log splitter.  

For me it really needs to have realistic pack ability.  That said I probably don't need any more axes or hatchets.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I also have tossed around the idea of getting one of the Husqvarna axes but have a hard time justifying it.  Chances are if its to big to take "camping" or "hiking" in the woods I won't use it.  And if I am home I will just use a chainsaw or powered log splitter.  

For me it really needs to have realistic pack ability.  That said I probably don't need any more axes or hatchets.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really don't need a chopping tool to start fires most of the time. It does make things easier though. Mostly a chopping tool would be for labor savings in shelter building and the odd times I need to cut something up for a fire. I keep finding that lighter tools do the job I need to do brilliantly. I'm not building a cabin.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Seen too many dumb asses carry a ax to cut down green trees to try to build a fire. Stupid. If anything, i would take a small folding saw to cut dead limbs off a blow down. No way I would carry a 3-5 lb ax
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I really don't need a chopping tool to start fires most of the time. It does make things easier though. Mostly a chopping tool would be for labor savings in shelter building and the odd times I need to cut something up for a fire. I keep finding that lighter tools do the job I need to do brilliantly. I'm not building a cabin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice thing about the Wetterings is that it retains an edge very well and if you take care of it easy to touch up an edge. Mine is close to razor sharp and is great for making feather sticks, if it is a little damp out its nice to have to split logs with to get to the dry wood. It makes me cringe to watch people baton wood with a knife. To me a knife is for cutting, an axe is for chopping.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nice thing about the Wetterings is that it retains an edge very well and if you take care of it easy to touch up an edge. Mine is close to razor sharp and is great for making feather sticks, if it is a little damp out its nice to have to split logs with to get to the dry wood. It makes me cringe to watch people baton wood with a knife. To me a knife is for cutting, an axe is for chopping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In many situations batoning a knife through reasonable sized wood is a bit safer for the novice. Once they learn to swing the axe and stick together sideways the axe gets a bit less sporty.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#42]
In addition to the Bushman axe (which is lightweight) I also carry a collapsible bow saw for some of the reasons that were posted a couple before.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Last weekend I took down an 11" tree with a Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe. It came very sharp and took a while to down something that size.  Normally I'd use something bigger for that purpose but it still did the job just fine.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/2A993867-F6A4-4C58-8489-1554FA771EC0_zpsjpc7a9lt.jpg
View Quote

Hi have this axe. It's a good "do all" camp axe if you're not felling anything. Nicely made and holds up to hard use so far.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I have an Estwing that I used to use a lot.  But it's no splitter.  I have a Fiskars for splitting now.  I've also found that a good saw, is more efficient for cutting wood than an axe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I use Hultafors and Granfors Bruks on my trap line. I love Swedish axes. They're perfect for 20" axes.
I use bigger axes for felling and splitting, I have a couple of Kelly Perfect axes for that chore. I have a Estwing 26" campers axe that falls into the "medium" size category. It's cheap and easy to sharpen and cuts well, not so good for splitting.
<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/Guns/1316D7B6-3433-4E5B-99EE-D6185A3CFFF9_zpswcjcyvqy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/Guns/1316D7B6-3433-4E5B-99EE-D6185A3CFFF9_zpswcjcyvqy.jpg</a>
View Quote

I went with a Husqvarna Forest Axe for about 1/2 price of Granfors Bruks... at the time and possibly still, they sourced their forged Swedish heads from apparently same top of the line suppliers.  Add over-strike protection to the handle.

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#46]
More and more I find that these are all I need for a chopping tool when I want to go light. These will suffice for most bushcraft chores and short term survival labor savings.

2 Hawks Longhunter and Cold Steel Trailhawk

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I went with a Husqvarna Forest Axe for about 1/2 price of Granfors Bruks... at the time and possibly still, they sourced their forged Swedish heads from apparently same top of the line suppliers.  Add over-strike protection to the handle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/Guns/1316D7B6-3433-4E5B-99EE-D6185A3CFFF9_zpswcjcyvqy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/Guns/1316D7B6-3433-4E5B-99EE-D6185A3CFFF9_zpswcjcyvqy.jpg</a>

I did the same and am quite happy.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post AAR when done.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Just picked this up. New but came with the extra leathers

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just picked this up. New but came with the extra leathers

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/stretch415/media/s-l1600_zpshxgkpfhr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/stretch415/s-l1600_zpshxgkpfhr.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very nice!  Which model is that?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top