Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 12:00:37 AM EDT
I know nothing about this hobby, but I would like to try it to compare it to snowshoeing. I was wondering, do all of these skis require special boots or do they have any that have a cramp-on style that works with your normal boots. I ask because I don't really want to take multiple boots with me in the back country and using ski-specific boots when you are not skiing does not seem ideal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Generally, X-country skis attach only to the toe of the boot. Because of this, the boot requires an extra tab at the toe to lock into the ski fittings. If the skis become your thing, though, you can find boots that work as well off the skis as nearly anything else you could wear when off of them. Back when I learned to cross country ski, it was a big extra flap of sole sticking off of the front of the boot, but modern fittings are more compact. It may sound like a weird thing to do, but cross country boots are not build like downhill boots and because of the small size of the fitting, the rest of the sole can be made for regular hiking and backpacking use.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to go bushwacking in the country and not on groomed trails you will want something else.  At least IMHO I've never had a pair of cross country skis that was suitable for that.  

Poke around here and you can get some ideas:

http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?board=8.0

A friend of mine got some Hok skis and loves them, I'm tempted to try a pair.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a pair of metal edged wide track backcountry xc skis. I go out on them at least weekly here in Alaska. They are a great way to get around, and groomed trails are a rarity. They are also much faster than snowshoes unless you are going up an incline.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top