Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/1/2016 1:59:44 PM EDT
Looking at plus sized knives, for general camping/survival/prepping use. My most-likely-scenario is storm/wind damage from a hurricane, along with basic camp chores (prepping wood for fires and such).

I'm looking at the Becker BK9, RTAK II, and ESEE Laser Strike or Junglas. Any others that I should look at, or thoughts about these four knives? I'm a rather large guy (6'8", XXL glove size), so a large handle is a plus, not a minus.

I already have smaller knives for food prep and other tasks that require more delicacy (Benchmade 710, Kershaw Blur, and a Boker Urban Trapper), so this knife won't be used for anything like that. Right now, I'm leaning towards the BK9 as the best value in terms of cost vs. function, but I'm more than willing to be convinced otherwise.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]

You can pretty much figure out which one I'm going with, for my next big knife.

I like the Beckers with the green scales and they look pretty awesome for not a lot of cash.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
So what, in your opinions, makes the ESEE $90-ish better than the Becker? Better steel/heat treatment, better coating, better ergos, better warranty...?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So what, in your opinions, makes the ESEE $90-ish better than the Becker? Better steel/heat treatment, better coating, better ergos, better warranty...?
View Quote
ESEE sheaths are way better and the handles are much more comfortable. I second the ESEE Junglas

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang, that Junglas is big.

I have an ESEE 5 but even it is pretty big to carry on a PC; running a 3 and a H.E.S.T.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Esee is actually a deal and 1095, that's been properly heat treated, can be a great steel that's easy to sharpen in the field.  There are other knives and steels that are great, but you're not getting them for $150-$190.

As far as the Becker goes, I looked at the SMKW catalog and they're featured.  I did a little research and they get good marks, but for maybe the clear-coat that might wear off quickly.  Their sheaths look nice.

I would get the Junglas VG for obvious reasons, but I'm just a hack.  If you're going to be cutting logs with your mini-machete, than INFI steel from Busse and one of their battle axes would be good, or something with CPM 3V, but not for <$200.

Randall, like Dillon Precision, has a non-BS warranty, so that's good and I don't know how Becker handles it?

Anyhow, things are worth different amounts to different people.  If I only had $105ish to spend on a big knife in that class, I'd look to Ebay and the Becker Combat Bowie.  There are a few good prices on there right now.  Do some research and find some videos if you'll be using it hard.

Obviously, for bushcraft type stuff, there are better sizes, but with the bigger knives, some are chopping logs and some are only doing the smaller stuff, so steels/blade profiles will matter more with the former.

Chris

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a BK9, the stock handle sucked so I changed it out. Other than that, it has been awesome, I've baton'd the Hell out of it cutting wood while camping and it's still going strong. I have no experience with the ESEE, they look awesome but for the price I don't think you can go wrong with the Becker.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget the ESEE-6; big enough to wear on your belt but not too big.  

They also have a good discount if you're LEO or Military.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you considered any of the offerings from Schrade .... might not fit the bill but from the options I've seen it would be a lot cheaper
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#13]
One thing I'd hugely recommend is to not buy sight-unseen. Regardless of how well a knife is made, some simply fit a given person and some don't.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One thing I'd hugely recommend is to not buy sight-unseen. Regardless of how well a knife is made, some simply fit a given person and some don't.
View Quote

Believe me, if there was anywhere I could go to finger fuck these knives, I would!

For now, I'm leaning towards a Junglas. Thanks, all!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Believe me, if there was anywhere I could go to finger fuck these knives, I would!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also wish there was such a store in my AO.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#16]
You won't go wrong, the Junglas is awesome. Sheath is the best in the industry imo and their warranty can't be beat.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#17]
The Condor Mini Duku Parang will destroy all your sharpened pry bars in chopping and do less damage to the user in the process. It can feather stick and carve if need be. Much better choice for a large knife. It out chops a small hatchet with better versatility. $60

It took me 5 minutes to clear an 8 ft x 8 ft road obstruction with the Mini Duku. It was a huge matted mess of vines and branches. It was a blast!

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:42:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the Lochnessmuk from Condor.
http://www.woodsmonkey.com/condor-lochnessmuk-review

In case my wife is reading along, I do not have somewhere north of 100 assorted size knives including some expensive big choppers.

I'm of the opinion that there are times when a good hatchet, Mora and a folding saw are the best big knife.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn NO Becker love in here. I love my BK2,10,16,9

IF you want a Becker TomarsKabars is cheapest price online.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Look at Knife Works for best prices IMO
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my Busse TGLB but it is a big knife, I have an original Becker BK10 with the 4 inch blade and it's a great knife that feels and performs like a big knife. Also all my esee have been good. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the suggestions already mentioned.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a BK9 that works well but it's not as tip heavy as I'd like for a chopper.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got a cold steel kuhkari that I'm very fond of.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've got a cold steel kuhkari that I'm very fond of.
View Quote

Me too. If you need a chopping tool, buy a chopping tool.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Plus sized..

Ontario SP-10

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have a BK9 that works well but it's not as tip heavy as I'd like for a chopper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want tip heavy? BK4 Machax
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#27]

This is my primary woods knife; a Marbles Ideal limited-run 8" by .25" with vacuum-epoxy-impregnated maple burl handle. Sheath is home-made, since I'm left-handed with a knife. This pic is 10-12 years old old, taken when the knife was still new & shiny and I had just made the sheath. The knife has much more 'character' now:

One of my favorite demonstrations with the knife is to chop a 2x4 in half with it in less than ten seconds, and then shave paper with it. Impresses people almost universally when they see it the first time. Wish I'd bought some spares of the knife when it was being made, but didn't; so after watching online for literally 3-4 years, I found another 8" as well as a 7" version for spares. The 7" is still a very good knife (basically the same size as a Kabar), just not as perfect as the 8" version is for me personally.

Had SavageMade Sheaths make me up a new sheath for it (and for several other knives) two or three years ago that include a sleeve on the back for an EZE-Lap, and am as happy as I could possibly be with it. Never took pics of the 8" Marbles with the SavageMade, but this is a SuperSOG and the 7" Marbles in sheaths he did for me at the same time:

Having the EZE-Lap right on the sheath for touching up in the field is extremely handy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been using a Gerber Bowie as my big knife for a long time - 20 plus years.  I've used it as a machete, as a kindling splitter and for debarking wood going into the smoker.  Great knife.  I've bought a lot of bigger knives since, but I keep going back to this one when I actually want to do some real work.

They may not make it anymore, but I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:38:58 AM EDT
[#29]
All I can suggest is the Gerber BMF.  Out of production though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:00:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Multiple Becker owner here. Bk9 all the way.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Since we are posting pictures, the "biggest" actual knife I own is a Glock field knife.  I have no use for anything larger then this:

*note this picture contains a Glock, 1911, and Mora!  

For me a Bacho Laplander folding saw would accomplish much more in the woods.  If I was to ever going to a jungle or the south I might want a machete, but my AO is more "boreal forest."

-That said I was able to get my hands on an ESEE Junglas, at one of last years local BCUSA meets and its a fun chopper.

ETA/  I think if I were to ever get an ESEE I would probably go for the 4...
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#32]
BK9 for me.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#33]
So, I ended up buying...

A gen 2 Glock 17. Got a deal I couldn't say no too. Next purchase will be an ESEE Junglas, though! Thanks all.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a Junglas.  If I had to do it over again, I'd go Bark River Knives.  I like my Junglas, just have more use for a knife in the 4 to 6 inch range with a clean blade.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I like the cold steel SRK. Carried one for years in the mil.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Ontario Chimera.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Well this thread inspired me to order a Junglas. This place is hard on my wallet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Well this thread inspired me to order a Junglas. This place is hard on my wallet.
View Quote
you will love it.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#40]
TOPS Tahoma
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#41]
You guys are really missing out on the Condor Mini Duku.  It does what you have to force your big knife to do well. You might not get it until you finally try it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Becker BK7, CS SRK, ESEE Laser Strike, Condor Bushlore - all good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You guys are really missing out on the Condor Mini Duku.  It does what you have to force your big knife to do well. You might not get it until you finally try it.
View Quote

Sometimes the moment calls for a certain look and the Mini Duku  presents an Aboriginal look that's not always appropriate for the circumstance.

Something like the venom green Junglas will make a statement that needs to be made and do it with aplomb.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sometimes the moment calls for a certain look and the Mini Duku  presents an Aboriginal look that's not always appropriate for the circumstance.

Something like the venom green Junglas will make a statement that needs to be made and do it with aplomb.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Form over function? Really?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The Condor Mini Duku Parang will destroy all your sharpened pry bars in chopping and do less damage to the user in the process. It can feather stick and carve if need be. Much better choice for a large knife. It out chops a small hatchet with better versatility. $60

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20160103_152027_zpstrgs7hni.jpg

It took me 5 minutes to clear an 8 ft x 8 ft road obstruction with the Mini Duku. It was a huge matted mess of vines and branches. It was a blast!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/20151229_155249_zpspxgsxdqy.jpg
View Quote
I think I need to buy one of those.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Of course.

Sometimes it better to look good and suffer a bit.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Of course.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Of course.

Chris

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

What other knives have you personally directly compared against this one. Which ones did you use/carry prior to settling on the Condor Mini Duku?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Condor Matt Graham. Gets super sharp fast. Point is perfect for drilling holes.
Not really a problem, but tree sap stains it fast.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What other knives have you personally directly compared against this one. Which ones did you use/carry prior to settling on the Condor Mini Duku?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gave away my cold steel ltc kukri after trying the Duku and it is famous as a chopping knife. I have a large Western bowie knife. I tried my buddies huge Gerber and bunch of others I don't recall off the top of my head.

There isn't enough difference between sharpened crow bars to make one that much better than another. Add weight or take it away. Tip heavy or balanced. It's not until you change the basic geometry and weight distribution do you feel the biggest effect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top