Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2016 1:36:42 AM EDT
In looking to purchase another sleeping bag, I thought of just continuing to use blankets instead. Yes, the bag would be "self-wrapping" and might be a better use of materials and air-space, but I've slept under a few fleece blankets that were very warm. Anyone using fleece blankets as a primary insulation or bedding material?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:39:28 AM EDT
[#1]
They invariably come off of you or get gaps and drafts.  To match a sleeping bag you end up having to have more weight and bulk in terms of blankets.  Blankets can do the job, they did for thousands of years now but the overall advantages of a sleeping bag are hard to deny.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure I agree with the above, particularly when I think about the similarities between quilts and blankets. (Blanket -> quilt -> bag)

What about a quilt with a footbox? Like a blanket, but less likely to come off in the middle of the night, designed for the purpose of camping, lighter weight and more efficient. There aren't as many options as sleeping bags and they can get pricey, but check out enlightened equipment.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In looking to purchase another sleeping bag, I thought of just continuing to use blankets instead. Yes, the bag would be "self-wrapping" and might be a better use of materials and air-space, but I've slept under a few fleece blankets that were very warm. Anyone using fleece blankets as a primary insulation or bedding material?
View Quote

Why don't you try it out in the back yard, so you can come in at 1am and get warm as you order a bag online?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thermarest is pushing a new system where you use a blanket that snaps onto a sheet that goes around your sleep pad. I have one of the thermarest blankets and it's pretty nice. It has a drawstring at one end to make a foot box. The point of it is that the insulation in your sleeping bag underneath you is crushed and useless so why carry it?

Thermarest calls it their fast and light system or something.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried a poncho liner instead of a bag on a night in the Allegany mountains and ended up very cold. I had to build a fire in the middle of the night to get warm. You get a lot colder when you are tired. I guess it depends on your location and weather.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Load all your blankets up in a shopping cart and push that cart till you find a nice dry spot to rough it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thermarest is pushing a new system where you use a blanket that snaps onto a sheet that goes around your sleep pad. I have one of the thermarest blankets and it's pretty nice. It has a drawstring at one end to make a foot box. The point of it is that the insulation in your sleeping bag underneath you is crushed and useless so why carry it?

Thermarest calls it their fast and light system or something.
View Quote

Big Agnes has been doing this for years, their bags have no insulation on the bottom, just a sleeve into which you slide one of their sleeping pads. Benefit - you don't roll or slide off the pad at night.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If your camping out or going to bug out then a sleeping bag is the way to go.
However if you Bug in then a bunch of blankets are fine and wear some socks and thick pajamas and you would be fine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#9]
They aren't as thermally efficient as sleeping bag.

Blankets weigh more.

Blankets take up more space.

Modern synthetic sleeping bag fill materials are more thermally efficient when wet compared with wool blankets.

Loft, loft and more loft. Loft is what keeps you insulated.

Down bags rock in dry cold weather. Synthetic bags rule in wet weather. Either choice is better than wool or fleece blankets.

I use a light weight fleece throw inside my sleeping bag to add to it's warmth but unless it were really mild out I'd never replace a sleeping bag with a fleece unless I didn't have any other choice.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Load all your blankets up in a shopping cart and push that cart till you find a nice dry spot to rough it.
View Quote

And hope Papa can keep the cannibals away with his last two remaining bullets...
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Per ounce, bag>>>blanket as far as warmth is concerned.

A well made, quality wool blanket is a wonderful thing in its own right, but it is not the best answer if you have to carry warmth on your back for any distance or if you want to sleep warm without a fire.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want a great way to carry a wool blanket, buy a great kilt!  Works as a blanket, jacket, and clothing!
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#13]
When you wear it as a jacket, what covers your junk?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Think Toga. The great kilt is called that because of it's greater size. It covers most of your body.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And hope Papa can keep the cannibals away with his last two remaining bullets...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO!!

And by God don't teach the kid how to survive on his own, just continue to act like he's 3 years old....
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#16]
mummy bags are the bees knees.

clown
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends on a lot of things...Expected temps, humidity, precipitation, other parts of your shelter system...  For me, I'm good with a poncho liner or fleece blanket to the low 50's.  Lower than that, I switch to a Thermarest Regulus blanket with sleeping pad (with or without Helinox cot)  Into freezing or below territory I go with a sleeping bag.  Lower than 15-20 I add Reflectix insulation below me and poncho liner/fleece over everything.  

The fleece blanket and poncho liner are similar in compressed volume, about a Nalgene bottle.  The Thermarest blanket slightly bigger and my sleeping bag is about 2x the size.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I can see the advantage of a blanket in terns of ease or cleaning and expeditious evacuation, but they are not warm enough for me out in the field.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds heavy.  I love wool but a wool blanket that can do what a quality down-filled sleeping bag can do sounds very heavy and bulky.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

" />
" />
I've been trying to work on a modern equivalent of this. My difficulty is how to properly wear a pack with all the material.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k597/skinnerfam3/WrapAGreatKilt_zpschlrnoh9.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k597/skinnerfam3/plaidviews_zpsatokcb24.jpg</a>" />
I've been trying to work on a modern equivalent of this. My difficulty is how to properly wear a pack with all the material.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k597/skinnerfam3/WrapAGreatKilt_zpschlrnoh9.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k597/skinnerfam3/plaidviews_zpsatokcb24.jpg</a>" />

Make the material hold stuff; add pockets or shoulder straps that help support the load.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Blankets weigh more.

Modern synthetic sleeping bag fill materials are more thermally efficient when wet compared with wool blankets.

Down bags rock in dry cold weather. Synthetic bags rule in wet weather. Either choice is better than wool or fleece blankets.

I use a light weight fleece throw inside my sleeping bag to add to it's warmth but unless it were really mild out I'd never replace a sleeping bag with a fleece unless I didn't have any other choice.
View Quote

Thanks. I missed the obvious. I used a down quilt for years and loved it. I need to be able to move my joints periodically when I sleep. My knees and such have always hurt and sometimes I just need to flex or move them. I thought blankets would just be easier to clean than a bag. I picked up an MSS bag assembly, and while it is nice, it's short length is annoying. I might look for a rectangular bag. I know, I know......

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks. I missed the obvious. I used a down quilt for years and loved it. I need to be able to move my joints periodically when I sleep. My knees and such have always hurt and sometimes I just need to flex or move them. I thought blankets would just be easier to clean than a bag. I picked up an MSS bag assembly, and while it is nice, it's short length is annoying. I might look for a rectangular bag. I know, I know......

Thanks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blankets weigh more.

Thanks

Look at the Western Mountaineering Badger sleeping bags. they are cut a little fuller.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I slept in my hammock the other night with a pancho liner and sleeping pad. It was 38f for the low and fkin raining.
Was livable with my jacket on and wool socks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blankets weigh more.

Thanks

I'm the same way. I get cramped if I don't move a little while I sleep. I have Three NorthFace bags but prefer the the fuller cut of my ThermaNest.

I use a light weight fleece to take up the extra space to make it a little warmer.

If I were you I'd find a tapered cut bag but not a full mummy bag.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blankets weigh more.

Thanks

Have you tried any of the backpacking quilts available on the market?  I'm the same way at night (except my hips and lower back hurt).  Whenever we car camp I use a big down comforter.  Whenever I use my sleeping bag I sleep like shit.  The last time we were out I just opened my bag and used it like a blanket.  It was ok, the shape isn't that great for a blanket.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not fleece, but I have used a couple of woobies / pancho liners instead of sleeping bags for the last few camping trips. Temps were in the upper 30s and lower 40s.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I tried it once and FROZE my ass off.
Get a bag.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I have done zero roughing it for over ten years now, so I know nothing about modern sleep systems, except that the army ones really go for a premium.

But as a kid growing up in the late 70's, I was a hard little bastard.

I also got hot really easily, so I never found a bag I liked.

What I did was got a sheet to fit a military wool blanket, and then wrapped a poncho liner around that. I tucked it in to keep the bugs and scorpions out, and as I recall, it seemed to work really well. And, it packed up pretty small, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top