Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2016 9:32:11 PM EDT
Our local dollar tree has a bunch of these for, duh, a dollar per 12 oz. bottle.

The label says "Methanol" followed by some numbers and I believe the letter "C".

Is this the same stuff as Yellow HEET or is this more like (the not recommended) Red ISO-HEET?

https://www.dollartree.com/Seasonal-Holidays/auto-care-maintenance/SMB-Gas-Line-Antifreezer-and-Water-Remover-12-oz-Bottles/1248c551c551p344567/index.pro#details

ETA: NOT RECOMMENDED AS STOVE FUEL DUE TO POOR HEAT GENERATION AND NOXIOUS ODOR WHEN BURNED
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The yellow-bottle HEET contains methanol (or "Wood Alcohol").

The red-bottle HEET contains isopropanol ("rubbing alcohol").

If the Dollar Tree version contains methanol in the same concentration as yellow-bottle HEET, it should burn just as well.

However, genuine HEET can be had for not much more than a buck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Just hooked a bottle at Dollar Tree. The CAS classification number on both products is the same (whatever that means)

I just did a price comparison. a 4-pack at wally world is $5.87 ("Rollback price") Even though the Dollar Tree bottles are 11 oz. the fuel is still 2 cants per oz. less than at Wal-Mart.

Our DT is closer than WM and I can usually get in and out in few minutes. Wal-Mart is another story.

Of course the true test is actually using the fuel in a boil test and whether or not it'll soot up your cup/pot (if that's a big deal).

ETA: Posters on survival list boards give SMB a big thumbs-down due to barely bringing water to a boil and a very bad odor when fuel is burned. What they suggest instead is go to FAMILY DOLLAR and buy AMERICAN XT GASOLINE ANTIFREEZE (12 oz. bottle is $1).
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe not what you are interested in, but Cash & Carry sells the gelled alcohol for heating and cooking in a #10 can for something like $20. They also have liquid paraffin for a good price.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe not what you are interested in, but Cash & Carry sells the gelled alcohol for heating and cooking in a #10 can for something like $20. They also have liquid paraffin for a good price.
View Quote

No such store/chain by that name in our area.

ETA: Nearest Family Dollar did not have the American XT Gasoline Antifreeze nor do they have a shelf SKU# for it. Next nearest store is a 20 mile round trip making it not worth the drive. It's back to Wal-Mart and Heet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
None of the Family Dollar stores in our area have the American XT product. All stores are on a fixed "plan-o-gram" and auto replenishment so there is no chance of getting any.

Off to Wal-Mart
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#6]
If you hit Wally World in the Spring they mark down the HEET (both yellow and red) half price or so. I bought a case of yellow heat for what worked-out to forty-odd cents a bottle.

IMHO I'd prefer the real deal at full price rather than risk some dollar store stuff that's basically the same price as the WW four packs anyway.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#7]
With no real use for it I opened the bottle of SMB product. The 'aroma' was enough to knock you over. I poured it into a disposable roasting pan and lit it.

It smelled like a cross between vomit, a tire fire, and a whorehouse at low tide.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Denatured alcohol also works fine in stoves - burns clean and odorless.

You can buy it by the gallon at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
With no real use for it I opened the bottle of SMB product. The 'aroma' was enough to knock you over. I poured it into a disposable roasting pan and lit it.

It smelled like a cross between vomit, a tire fire, and a whorehouse at low tide.
View Quote

Well, there are two ways to dispose of industrial waste; you can pay big bucks or figure out some way to sell it.  

Where do you think vegemite comes from?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, there are two ways to dispose of industrial waste; you can pay big bucks or figure out some way to sell it.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It comes from the yeasty sludge drained off the bottom of primary fermentation tanks in breweries (huge Vegemite/Marmite fan).
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It comes from the yeasty sludge drained off the bottom of primary fermentation tanks in breweries (huge Vegemite/Marmite fan).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It must be an acquired taste....  
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#12]
This Splash brand methonol worked great. On a SuperCat it boiled water at exactly 7 minutes. No bad smell. Exactly the same as Klean Strip denatured alcohol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This Splash brand methonol worked great. On a SuperCat it boiled water at exactly 7 minutes. No bad smell. Exactly the same as Klean Strip denatured alcohol.
View Quote

This? Where did you purchase it? Price?

A site search for any/all Splash products turns up Fastenal, Big! Lots, and Lowe's. Big Lots here doesn't have it. I was just there this morning and they had no gas line antifreeze.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://www.splashwash.com/files/6814/0673/1603/SPLASH-gasline.png

A site search for any/all Splash products turns up Fastenal, Big! Lots, and Lowe's. Big Lots here doesn't have it. I was just there this morning and they had no gas line antifreeze.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.splashwash.com/files/6814/0673/1603/SPLASH-gasline.png

I think it was the Dollar Store. That was it. I meant to post a picture. I tried it last night side by side with Klean Strip DA.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
If you go with the Kleen-strip green Here which is at least 80%  Ethanol and might be as high as 90% I think you'll find it burns a lot hotter. I boiled 2 cups on my modified super cat ( carbon fiber wick and internal riser) in 4 min 30 sec on 1 oz of this fuel.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you go with the Kleen-strip green Here which is at least 80%  Ethanol and might be as high as 90% I think you'll find it burns a lot hotter. I boiled 2 cups on my modified super cat ( carbon fiber wick and internal riser) in 4 min 30 sec on 1 oz of this fuel.
View Quote

Post pictures of the stove!
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
As soon as Photobucket comes back up I will.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As soon as Photobucket comes back up I will.
View Quote

It's been jacked up bad lately.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Here we have your basic super cat stove with carbon fiber wick and a riser made from a mushroom can. The mushroom can was cut to provide a 1" stand off above the cat food can. My pop can wind screen is curled up inside the riser. Hole pattern from zenstoves.net Here  Carbon fiber plumbers heat shield sourced from E-bay for $7.95

Here's a inside shot of the carbon fiber

And here's the riser on it's own, note the small holes at the top to vent any possible boilover of fuel and the small feed notches at the bottom to let the fuel wick.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I just tried a Dollar Tree brand SMB Super Gas Treatment in my homemade stoves.

It has a yellow/brown tint to it and has some odor but not too strong. It seamed to take a tad longer to prime the stoves compared to yellow bottle HEET. Once burning it had no odor that I could smell and without doing a scientific test I would say burned comparably to yellow bottle HEET.

I pick up a few bottles of HEET in spring when Wallmart has them on clearance so I do not see myself buying to much of this SMB, but it does work and is easy to get. It burned clean and once burning had no odor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top