Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2015 9:31:41 PM EDT
I just purchased a couple Snugpak special forces 1 bags. I'm looking for a decent Bivy for them. Is their a better option out now than the old military bivys?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
For the price? No.

Just make sure you inspect before you buy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much what I assumed
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:15:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just purchased a couple Snugpak special forces 1 bags. I'm looking for a decent Bivy for them. Is their a better option out now than the old military bivys?
View Quote

Have you looked at the SnugPak Stratosphere?  I have one and I love it...I have three different bivvy's and this is my favorite.

Found one on Red's Gear - $122...that's a pretty good price....

Link to a SnugPak Straty
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 1:33:13 AM EDT
[#4]
That snugpack does seem pretty cool.

I used an outdoor research helium bivy for almost 2 weeks and had great luck with it. Just make sure whatever you get has something to keep the fabric off your head and mesh for ventilation and bug protection. Nothing like sleeping in the ol bear burrito!
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#5]
This is what I have, and where I got them https://www.botach.com/sierra-designs-sfc-assault-bivy/ .  This merchant used to have terrible CS, but I have not had any problems lately.

I also have several old GI gortex bivies, which can be found much cheaper, but are not as nice.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I try and operate under the multi-use philosophy. That's to say I try and minimize the single use items I carry. A bivy, imho, is a generally a single use item and has little utility other than a mediocre place to put your bag and sleep.

If you're going for a bivy to support a tactical use then I'd suggest one of the older issue Ecotats. These make a solid bivy/tent, jacket, poncho and a good poncho hooch if conditions allow.  It's heavy but so are all the other "tactical" bivys out there....here's one on eBay

I do occasionally carry a bivy for my fat ass civilian hiking if I think I'll be using shelters. The one I'm using currently is an Equinox. It weighs 6.5 oz. To be candid I don't carry this all that often either because if I'm anticipating using a shelter I'll always carry a tarp in case the shelter is full so the bivy is redundant as I can use the tarp to keep my bag clean.

Here's a cottage industry bivy from Borah gear. He makes great gear and this bivy is about 13oz. He also makes a cuben bivy at about 4.5oz!

Also consider a BA copper spur 1...not as tacticool but weighs the same as a tactical bivy and is a real tent. Think getting dressed in the pouring rain....or cooking...or....

Edit: here's another from Outdoor Research (OR).  They also make great gear.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]
USMC's new bivy is fantastic. I'm pretty sure I could sleep in standing water and stay dry.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are decent sleeping bags, so you definitely want to protect them.  I would seriously pick up a couple of the surplus (in excellent or new condition) bivy bags...they're a good backup, but more importantly, if you've never used a bivy as your primary shelter, it takes a little practice and experimentation to see how it work, or even if will work for you.

When I pack a bivy, it's a Ti Goat Ptarmigan bivy (7.5 ounces with bug net).  Even with a bivy, I like a small tarp.  It's nice having the area directly over your head covered so you can crawl in and out and not get soaked; plus it allows you to do a little cooking or dig through your pack (which needs to be covered anyways).  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:53:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I have four snugpaks and have their SF Bivy.  It fits all of them just fine.  You spent the money on the sleep system you should probably close the deal right and do the same on the bivy.  Doesnt make much sense to get an expensive compact lightweight bag and then drape it in a huge heavy surplus bivy.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]
SJK Bivy

I just got this and I love it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Those are decent sleeping bags, so you definitely want to protect them.  I would seriously pick up a couple of the surplus (in excellent or new condition) bivy bags...they're a good backup, but more importantly, if you've never used a bivy as your primary shelter, it takes a little practice and experimentation to see how it work, or even if will work for you.

When I pack a bivy, it's a Ti Goat Ptarmigan bivy (7.5 ounces with bug net).  Even with a bivy, I like a small tarp.  It's nice having the area directly over your head covered so you can crawl in and out and not get soaked; plus it allows you to do a little cooking or dig through your pack (which needs to be covered anyways).  

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

Totally agree with this..after my last trip, I ordered some silnylon to make an ultralight tarp for over the bivy.  It also keeps critters away from the bivy opening.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Totally agree with this..after my last trip, I ordered some silnylon to make an ultralight tarp for over the bivy.  It also keeps critters away from the bivy opening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROCK6

My bivy is one of the old jungle style that has the bendable frame around the face and removable netting. Think sg made it. I use it only in super shitty weather or to block wind . Thats it.

Its sil tarp..ground sheet and sleepbag ...
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

USMC's new bivy is fantastic. I'm pretty sure I could sleep in standing water and stay dry.
View Quote
I don't know how much they have changed, but I've done that in the woodland three piece bivvy a LOT.  

Also...PTA in Hawaii is miserable in the winter.

But that's what kind of sold me on the surplus bivvy, sleeping in puddles on lava rock.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Here's a cottage industry bivy from Borah gear. He makes great gear and this bivy is about 13oz. He also makes a cuben bivy at about 4.5oz!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have the borah gear ul side zip it comes in right around 7oz overall it's a nice piece of gear.

Quoted:

ROCK6

+1 small tarp is worth it's weight in convenience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top