Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2015 11:53:10 AM EDT
I'm looking for a narrow one or two compartment backpack. Waterproof corduroy would be great. This is being used to carry gear on a daily basis to the woods and tree stand and back. So narrow width is a must.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to recommend the Blackhawk I use but it's $150-175. I'm almost positive I only paid $30-40.

It's a Blackhawk Cyane.

Heres a gray on Amazon for 120

There's also a Ranger green/coyote for 114.

There's no way I'd have spent that much on an impulse buy. Someone must have had a clearance sale as I already have a few packs laying around.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If your budget is high enough, First Spear packs tend to be less than body width. I have their Comm pack.

How much gear do you carry with you to the stand? I have a $12 Fieldline waist pack I use to carry essentials.  I've been using for about 5 years now that's held up great. Only time I opt for a pack is if I'm on a backpack hunt in the mountains or something.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
To the stand and back? Find a cheap pack on Amazon, less then $20shipped.

They even have copies of the Maxpedition small packs.  They're(Max) all made in China anyways, why pay $100....
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]
5.11 tactical has their bag on sale for 75ish. Not a bad pack at all! Look at their clearance section on their site.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Hill People Gear makes narrow packs, their suspension is great as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the width on the bags description the ????
1st-2nd-or3rd number??
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If width is the primary concern, look into packs made for skiers and snowboarders.  Packs made by Black Diamond and The North Face (to just name two), specially for snow sports are taller and narrower to maintain free range of motion.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Great small pack

This is a great pack that is on sale for a little while longer..... Made in USA, with an awesome lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't know your price range.
But have you looked at: CamelBak Mil TAC M.U.L.E. Hydration Pack

I have the older one, only one pocket on top. Got it used/not at all.
For $30.00 10 years ago. So if you hit gun shows or Army & Navy stores.
You may fine a deal. If not they are about $100.00 plus new!
Not a lot of room, But if you don't need the water reservoir?
Then that opens up some more room.
Also look at the H.A.W.G quit a bit bigger.
Let the hive know what worked for you. As will as cost!

PITA45
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Surplus ILBE assault pack is what I've been using.
Pretty narrow, two compartment, hydration ready, built like a tank and very inexpensive. Mine was around $35

I added a couple aluminum stays sewn into the plastic frame sheet and it will comfortably carry quite a heavy load for its size if needed, especially if you upgrade the waist belt to something better.
I went with a prairie belt from "hill people gear".
Not really needed though unless you're carrying over 25-30 pounds or so.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hill People Gear makes narrow packs, their suspension is great as well.
View Quote

I agree. I have a Tarahumara and it is a great little pack.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't know your price range.

But have you looked at: CamelBak Mil TAC M.U.L.E. Hydration Pack

I have the older one, only one pocket on top. Got it used/not at all.

For $30.00 10 years ago. So if you hit gun shows or Army & Navy stores.

You may fine a deal. If not they are about $100.00 plus new!

Not a lot of room, But if you don't need the water reservoir?

Then that opens up some more room.

Also look at the H.A.W.G quit a bit bigger.

Let the hive know what worked for you. As will as cost!

PITA45

View Quote

Yup older mule here. Added two molle medic zip pouches on it to hold ifak and water filter.

Ill say this you can stuff a bunch in it.

My tree stand and back is an older voodo condor china pack similar to the mule but with a large expanding main compartment. Its done pretty good for a 20$ pos from ctd ...but that was 2004ish.....lol
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for the Camelbak Mule. Very handy, expandable cargo with the Molle webbing, tough.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a Kelty pack that worked great for my ultra light gear. Narrow and light.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a really nice Vaude pack that I use when narrow is important.  http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Backpacks/

They are generally water resistant, lightweight, and tough.  You can also get a rain cover if you need even more protection.  Look for the models with the ventilated back panel; it'll go a long way to preventing your back from getting soaked with sweat.  It doesn't look tactical at all, so you won't look like a poser (unless you actually ARE in a unit, then use what your unit gives you).

http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Backpacks/Ultra-Hiker-20-black-pebbles.html

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I would recommend you look at some of the climbing oriented backpacks by Alpine Lowe, Mammut, Osprey, Black Diamond, Artyrex (fk, I never can remember how to spell them).

Mammut in particular is very very narrow.

You can get something good in the $200 range I'd say.
RW
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#17]
If you are willing to go used you can find nice older packs cheap.  I was looking at some Lowe Alpine and Lafuma stuff on eBay the other day and it is surprising how cheap some are.  Somehow I seem to collect packs and it was hard to resist some of the deals I stumbled on.  

How much do you really need to carry and how far are you going though? Maybe I missed where you mentioned it.  Most hunters I know just use a book bag size frameless packs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top