Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2015 10:16:06 PM EDT
Just agreed to trade my mossberg sa20 tactical with pistol grip stock and 150 cash for a matte m6 scout 22lr/410. I always thought these were neat, kinda always wanted one.  Did i do good and do they shoot well?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a pretty good deal.  For me, I really wouldn't need a 20 gauge semi-auto and even though the M6 Scout is a niche gun, it retains its value quite well.

If it doesn't have the scope-rail attachment, I would look for one to add.  Zero it for the .22LR and figure out which loads in .410 pattern well.  I have a Trijicon Reflex (12.5 MOA triangle) sight on mine and the tip of the triangle is dialed with with the .22LR, and the large triangle works well with bird shot up to buck shot as a pointing reference.  The only inconsistency I've had is with slugs when it comes to accuracy.  Still, I like the patterns of the buckshot rounds out to 25 yards and I'm pretty much minute-of-squirrel out to almost 50 yards with the .22.

The .410 does have its limitations, but all that implies is to understand them and apply the .410 within those limitations.  I can shoot squirrels out of a tree with the shot rounds, and I wouldn't attempt shooting any medium sized game with the buckshot rounds outside of 20-25 yards.  

I'm happy with my M6 Scout, but would love it if there was a 20 gauge option.  I just find the 20 gauge more versatile for "survival" over the .410 which I see as really limited to smaller game and birds.  There is the new Chiappa M6-22 which combines a .22LR with 20 gauge and that is something I may spring for just to see if my wishes would work.  It's only about a pound heavier than the M6 Scout, but if slugs would pattern better that would be great (still doubtful), but a least 20 gauge buckshot is a proven deer killer...but I digress...

Enjoy the M6 Scout. I think you got a great deal and you could most likely recoup your investment if it just doesn't work for you.  It's a fun gun, especially when out hunting small game.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about 410 slug for a "stronger" round, yet in doing research ibfound several post indicating that the manual says no slugs due to full choke.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was thinking about 410 slug for a "stronger" round, yet in doing research ibfound several post indicating that the manual says no slugs due to full choke.
View Quote

I've read mixed reports.  No issues with using them in mine, but they just weren't accurate at all.  I'm much happier with the 3-4 pellet 2.5" shells or even the 5-pellet 3" shells and how they pattern out to 25 yards or so.  For medium game defense or hunting, they would be more than effective in that range.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:48:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my 22 Hornet version. Never had any issues with it.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Man I have wanted one of these for years but I never knew they were full choke.  That realy turns me off If I can't shoot slugs out of it.  3 inch brenneke slugs really make the 410 a decent gun for bigger game.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#6]
"Pretty good deal"?????  Really?????

A semi auto 20 ga PLUS 150 CASH for a single shot 410 and single shot .22 ?????//  

Sorry, I don't call that a good deal.  I will take the 20 ga every time.

Doc

Edit to add, was an owner back when they first came out.  Trigger (if you call it that) was what totally turned me off.  If they were 150 bucks TOTAL and had the pistol grip (that was nixed by the company), I might bite.
Just my .02
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess it depends on the value of your trade.  You can't touch an M6 scout for less then 600~700 unless your extremely lucky and happen across one in a pawn/ gun shop who doesn't know its value.

I have always wanted one.  $600 is to much for my blood for what it is....  Though if I was at my LGS and spotted one for less then $500 I would probably be walking out with one.  $400 and it wouldent even be thought.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Its in excellent condition and they are getting very rare, so thats why i poped on it. A rossi combo is definitely cheaper but not near as collectable. Im looking for a s ope mount now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Not my cup of tea due to the ergonomics or lack there of but certainly a popular rifle with an almost cult following.  A following that's grown since they stopped making it.

I like the no frills concept but hate the trigger design.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I found a new in wrapper mount for 60 shipped. Its been ordered.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sweet!  OEM was $7.50.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found a new in wrapper mount for 60 shipped. Its been ordered.

Sweet!  OEM was $7.50.

Shut it! (kidding)

Also had a new m6 soft case for 75, thinking Bout getting that too. Any other better options people have been using?
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Galati makes one.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish i could find some sort of fiber optic dot system for the rail so batteries wouldnt be a issue. If i had the cash i think a dual lumen rmr would be tits!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Never had a M6...grew up with a Savage 24.
I can tell you that 410 is very underrated. Fire a 20ga without hearing protection and you'll do some damage. The 410 isn't bad at all. I keep a couple single shots and a bolt action around the homestead for critter control. Shot a fox at 40 or 50 yards with 3" buck - dropped him in his tracks. took a few impala with a .410 and slugs as well back in the day. Understand it's limitations and you'll be fine.
As for the M6 - from everything I've read, I'd say you did well!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Im looking at bags for it,  anyone tell me what they are using? The actual m6 bags are rare and expensive. The 10/22 takedown bag looks like it would work, but seem to be alot of people who say its a cheaply made bag.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#18]
While on this topic...  Any one try or handle a new Chiappa M6-22?  Specifically I am looking at the 20 gauge.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I do like the 20ga idea,  but any chiappa I've handled before ( 22 pistols) seemed cheaply made. I know the rhino has a cult following, and maybe the m6 is good but its also very pricey for a new production arm from a foreign maker.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Picked up the m6 yesterday. I called springfield this morning and they are sending me a manual free of charge. Not really sure if its a printed version or cd, but i dont care. Im a nerd in the way that id like to read the actual recommendations for the rifle as part of my knowledge base.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Picked up the m6 yesterday. I called springfield this morning and they are sending me a manual free of charge. Not really sure if its a printed version or cd, but i dont care. Im a nerd in the way that id like to read the actual recommendations for the rifle as part of my knowledge base.
View Quote

My God! You rtfm'ed!? I have to exhaust all other options before I touch a manual
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I always eyed those. But got a rossi 22/410 matched pair youthrifle with a simmons 22 mag scope for sub 100$..ive got few slugs but mostly buck andbird.
The thing is heavy but its small...even more so broke down...
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Full choke is fine for slugs, they may just not pattern well.

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#25]
All said and done.... i may just list it. Lol. Yeah, its a rare thing these days but im just a tactical practical type shooter. Sorta wish i kept the shotgun. Oh well...
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All said and done.... i may just list it. Lol. Yeah, its a rare thing these days but im just a tactical practical type shooter. Sorta wish i kept the shotgun. Oh well...
View Quote

Go full survival on it, make it awesome, then list it for a hefty fee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top