Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2015 10:01:08 AM EDT
I have a Big Buddy heater that was at our camp and stopped working; no pilot light. I knew I just needed to clean the tube with a Q-tip, so I brought it home, disassembled it and did that.

Now, one of the ceramic plates gives off a tall, visible flame. The other one works properly, with a mostly invisible flame and the ceramic turning bright orange.

Does anyone know what I specifically need to do to fix the other plate?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you been using an external +20lb tank? If so are you using a filter?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you have a leak.

Maybe it wasn't put back together properly?

Any corrosion on the tubes?

Those things are not worth having a fire or CO poisoning if it's malfunctioning.  Just replace it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
We normally use a big propane tank at camp, where it didn't work at all.

I am using a small 1 lb canister to test it after cleaning here at home. After cleaning, the pilot light/thermocoupler works fine, and lit up... that's when I noticed the issue with the large flame.

There is no corrosion on any of the tubes; everything looks new on the inside. I don't think it's a leak, because the one ceramic plate works fine. The other one is casting a big flame and not glowing.

It's never been "disassembled", just covers, etc removed to allow cleaning. And I think this cleaning is the first one we've done.

We have a good working one at camp; I'd like to use this one in our treestand Monday for the first day of rifle deer season.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Brush off the plates with a chip brush and see if it starts working again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I finally got it working.

I had to blow out the tubes leading to the ceramic plates with compressed air. That cleared things up, and it's working properly again.

Thanks all
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#6]
IME, most free-standing heaters with NG or propane burners are REALLY picky about being kept clean.

Some of those burner holes are almost microscopic in size - and it only takes a speck of dust in one of them to throw the flame pattern far enough off-kilter to make the thermocouple unhappy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I finally got it working.

I had to blow out the tubes leading to the ceramic plates with compressed air. That cleared things up, and it's working properly again.

Thanks all
View Quote

I had the same problem as you. Had a Big Buddy that wouldn't run. Used it off of a 20# tank with filter. Ended up taking all of the line off and blowing them out, had a lot of oily goo in them. Installed a new filter and it works fine now.  I don't know if the filter was bad or they get that way with a lot of use.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're leaving it in a blind, let it cool off and put it into a contractor bag or big rubbermaid container to keep insects and suck out.  Same thing in the garage and when stored.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top