Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2015 8:42:26 AM EDT
I read here frequently and don't see much discussion regarding bivy bags like the Adventure Med SOL bag(s)
I am looking to buy a couple and I  am seeking recommendations for BOB type circumstances
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used the SOL Emergency Bivvy as a sleeping bag in some pretty cool weather (30s overnight). I found that it's surprisingly warm but a lot of condensation collects inside the bag.  It is amazingly light and compact and will work in an emergency. I carry one in my GHB bag as well as one in my outdoors day pack.

SOL makes Escape and Escape Lite models that are supposed to address the condensation problem, but I do not have any experience them. I see that one is even available in OD. I would think that the Escape would make a better solution for a BOB or GHB than the Emergency model.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I disagree the AMK ones  are gimmicky.

They are the third or fourth generation now, and getting better.

For the size, nothing better IMO.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these.

Link
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these.

Link
View Quote

interesting to me  had not seen or heard of Land Shark
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Contractor cleanup bags will do 90% of the job that the Adventure Med SOL bags do for 10% of the price.
They mainly work to keep you warm by reducing heat loss from wind and from evaporation.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I read here frequently and don't see much discussion regarding bivy bags like the Adventure Med SOL bag(s)
I am looking to buy a couple and I  am seeking recommendations for BOB type circumstances
Thanks
View Quote

My GF bought me the higher end SOL bag, can't remember what is is called but they retail for around $50. I have climbed in it and tested it out indoors and think it might be the difference between freezing and not in an emergency. It's made of a tyvek like material and seems pretty sturdy, I watched a YouTube review that a guy had been using his for multiple outings over the course of a season without any failures of the bag. I don't know if the silver reflective side of the lining really works or is a gimmick.

The question is, what will this thing do that a surplus goretex bicycle sack do other than pack down smaller? I can't see a practical use for one of these outside of a really compact, lightweight emergency bag or kit that is a backup or stored in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have used the SOL Emergency Bivvy as a sleeping bag in some pretty cool weather (30s overnight). I found that it's surprisingly warm but a lot of condensation collects inside the bag.  It is amazingly light and compact and will work in an emergency. I carry one in my GHB bag as well as one in my outdoors day pack.

SOL makes Escape and Escape Lite models that are supposed to address the condensation problem, but I do not have any experience them. I see that one is even available in OD. I would think that the Escape would make a better solution for a BOB or GHB than the Emergency model.
View Quote

Yeah, the escape is the one I have. It's a lot more bag than the ones they sell that are made out of Fritos bag material.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#10]
This was my idea. l for in the car. Small pack etc
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My GF bought me the higher end SOL bag, can't remember what is is called but they retail for around $50. I have climbed in it and tested it out indoors and think it might be the difference between freezing and not in an emergency. It's made of a tyvek like material and seems pretty sturdy, I watched a YouTube review that a guy had been using his for multiple outings over the course of a season without any failures of the bag. I don't know if the silver reflective side of the lining really works or is a gimmick.

The question is, what will this thing do that a surplus goretex bicycle sack do other than pack down smaller? I can't see a practical use for one of these outside of a really compact, lightweight emergency bag or kit that is a backup or stored in a vehicle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

The mylar material used in the SOL bags reflects heat back into the bag, which a surplus bag will not do. They're also much lighter than a Goretex bivvy.

I agree with you that they're not well suited outside of emergency or backup use.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The mylar material used in the SOL bags reflects heat back into the bag, which a surplus bag will not do. They're also much lighter than a Goretex bivvy.

I agree with you that they're not well suited outside of emergency or backup use.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

I've always appreciated the heat reflection back in to keep you warm, but the moisture and dampness suck.

Any ideas of if a few holes would allow the water vapor out to help keep dry, or just let all the heat away?

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I know several folks that carry them in their 24 hour packs for emergency.  I carry a 45 degree sleeping bag and a tarp in my pack.  I've had to utilize the bag in less than ideal circumstances.  I was cold but I survived.  That's what I think people need to consider - surviving vs comfort.  You likely will survive the night but you might not be comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know several folks that carry them in their 24 hour packs for emergency.  I carry a 45 degree sleeping bag and a tarp in my pack.  I've had to utilize the bag in less than ideal circumstances.  I was cold but I survived.  That's what I think people need to consider - surviving vs comfort.  You likely will survive the night but you might not be comfortable.
View Quote

well said
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
The only way to go is with a breathable model. We emit too much moisture to really consider a nonbreathable option. SOL has the high end breathable model. Many people use them in ultralight camping. I plan on using mine in utah for a bit. I will let you know how well it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top