Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2015 7:25:17 AM EDT
I have a portable generator 6kVA (9kVA peak) with a Briggs & Stratton little engine that is quite reliable and sometimes runs for 24 hours without a hitch.  However, it's very noisy.

I like to keep a low profile and even being able to power virtually all house (just turn off baseboard heaters, washer and drier machines and electric oven), I just turn on the essential lights to make minimum "advertisement" that I have one.

The noise, however, is high and I'd like to reduce it to a minimum, preferably to the level of those Honda Eco levels.

Any ideas?  

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not use inverters and use your cars as generators to power your house?

Less additional maintenance, quiet, can lock doors with running to prevent theft, larger fuel tank, etc.

Lots of the genny noise is from the engine in addition to the exhaust. I don't think it can be insulated without causing an overheat.
View Quote

I would not want my cars running a 24 hours cycle inside the garage.  Danger of fumes and even damage to the engines running without proper ventilation.  The genny, if push comes to shove, is disposable and cheaper to replace than the cars.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I pull my cars out of the garage and only run them a couple hours at a time.

They still power the house after they are turned off.

A would assume any generator running after dark will be stolen. Even quiet Honda ones are easy to hear at night.

Why run a generator at night anyway?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Less additional maintenance, quiet, can lock doors with running to prevent theft, larger fuel tank, etc.

Lots of the genny noise is from the engine in addition to the exhaust. I don't think it can be insulated without causing an overheat.

I would not want my cars running a 24 hours cycle inside the garage.  Danger of fumes and even damage to the engines running without proper ventilation.  The genny, if push comes to shove, is disposable and cheaper to replace than the cars.

I pull my cars out of the garage and only run them a couple hours at a time.

They still power the house after they are turned off.

A would assume any generator running after dark will be stolen. Even quiet Honda ones are easy to hear at night.

Why run a generator at night anyway?

Refrigerator, microwave, furnace (it's oil and only needs power for the blower), lights...  And Internet.  I have fiber and that stuff keeps working through power outages if I can power my router and computers.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm in Michigan BTW.
The power goes out here in the winter. Usually when its 25 degrees below zero.

God, I love my gas range.
View Quote

Utility here wants me to hook up at least three appliances in my house for them to connect it to the pipe that passes right in front, there's a minimum consumption charge either.  Nope, thanks.   Plus several turn on fees.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#9]
A quick google or YouTube search on portable generator enclosure(s) turns up hours of reading.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=portable+generator+enclosure+
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
1) replace the muffler with something MUCH bigger
2) extend the exhaust pipe several feet
3) enclose entire genny in box with sound insulation.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This will be the most effective. But I highly recommend venting the top of the container and adding a fan to draw air through the container.

Many scooter mufflers will work wonders however as mentioned you'll have to extend the pipe a bit to add to the effect.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Running a car for power is an incredible waste of fuel.  It'll work in a pinch but it's pointless for that to be THE plan.  Car batteries are also not made to be deep discharged....do that a number of times and you're going to be buying a new car battery....regardless of how old it is.  

I would rather run my cheap, low fuel consumption generator than my expensive cars to power my house.  

An extra muffler will probably help but you'll find that the actual generator itself is what is generating a large amount of the noise.  If you want to get to Honda inverter levels of noise, you're going to have to install a sound enclosure.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have looked into this a lot over the past several months.

The single most effective way to reduce noise is to put the generator in a box. The crazy thing is that it doesn't even have to be a special sound dampening box, a simple wooden box will do wonders.

Add a better muffler, extend the exhaust out a bit, add acoustic tiles/foam etc to improve.

"Silencer box" is what you want to search on YouTube.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#16]
There's a bit more to running an inverter from a vehicle...short version, it's not worth it and will smoke things out in short order.

If you have a "purpose built" rig, like the mil add-on inverters used in their 24 volt applications, you can get the job done, but everything is already beefy. The alternator can take the duty cycle, the batteries are diesel rated (greater capacity) and 24 volts (lower current), the lead to the inverter are the size of your fingers and with all that, they run an 1800/2000 watt 120v output. No provisions for 220v (furnace, well pump, etc). You will burn around 1/2 gal an hour at idle and the "car" alternator will not put out anywhere near the rated amperage at idle speeds.

Can you do it? Yes

Can you put together a cheap turd system, with a cheap switching type inverter and some jumper cables? Yes...Not being a snob, it's junk and will smoke more than it helps.

Will it cost 3 or 4 times the cost of a gas genny to build a reliable system, yes.

The shortest distance between two point is to get a gas generator and learn to repair the basics (needle, float, etc)

As far as "low profile", you don't need 5000 watts if you're in conservation mode. Get a suitcase inverter genny for quite time and a cheap 5500-6500W for the big loads. Forget KVA for home descriptions. You are "usually" limited by the nema 30 amp connector on your average home genny...that unit of measure has no bearing on the mission.

Build up an extension pipe and route it out of the genny hut to get the heat out of there. It depends on how committed you are to this project. As stated, silence the mechanical noise with walls/insulation and the exhaust with an auto muffler contained and vented into a larger container (barrel w vent).
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kind of like this guy?
http://www.invertersrus.com/prius-power-inverter.html

We had a pretty extensive thread about quieting generators.  The pros and cons and experiments with multiple mufflers, bigger mufflers etc.  Also housings to attenuate sound.  Might need to search the archives.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

1. car running and doors locked, eh?  there is no chance then that someone will break the side window and steal your entire car?

2. larger fuel tank, true.  and you'll need it since you are making something on the order of 30HP at idle to power a few things in the house.

was this a serious answer?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have looked into this a lot over the past several months.

The single most effective way to reduce noise is to put the generator in a box. The crazy thing is that it doesn't even have to be a special sound dampening box, a simple wooden box will do wonders.

Add a better muffler, extend the exhaust out a bit, add acoustic tiles/foam etc to improve.

"Silencer box" is what you want to search on YouTube.
View Quote

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

if you live in a condo/townhouse, yes.

if you live where there is actual space between houses, no.

ar-jedi  <-- has EU2000i.  ran it for 12 days straight once.  not stolen.  still have it.   (clicky linky)

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks!  I was imagining this topic was already covered but forgot to browse the archives.  Did not find anything in the "live" threads.

The ideas are nice.  My generator does not seem to have a big muzzler on the exhaust port, hence I was thinking about working that part first.  

The Honda genies really impress me on how quiet they are.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The trick for this is to obtain a spare muffler from the mfr, a common muffler from an auto supply store/hot rod shop, and some flexible tubing that fits both the inlet and outlet sides of the muffler; preferably the same diameter for simplicity's sake.  This is all explained in the alpharubicon link above.

Have a local weldor attach a short section of tubing that will fit within the flexible tubing onto the new muffler, and paint the whole assembly with hi-temp exhaust header paint, so it won't rust prematurely.  Then slide the flex tube over the new attachment to the muffler, run a length to the new muffler, and then an additional length away from the muffler.  Clamp all joints, but you probably don't need a super tight clamp which might distort the tubing and so forth.  This whole rig won't cost a lot, and will go far towards helping quiet your Genny.  As noted, the things make a fair amount of mechanical noise in addition to exhaust noise, but this rig will significantly reduce exhaust sound noise.  An enclosure will help with the mechanical noise, but care must be taken to provide adequate cooling air flow; Some folks have made enclosures with intake and exhaust fans powered by the generator itself, and such fans need not draw much current.  Besides sound-deadening, a properly-built enclosure will protect the genny against rain, snow, etc.  Some folks attach wheels to the bottom of their enclosure, and leave the genny inside it more-or-less permanently.  Of course, the enclosure can store all sorts of cables and power strips, can be locked, and should have a couple of extremely stout anchoring points for security cables or chains--also stored inside.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!  I was imagining this topic was already covered but forgot to browse the archives.  Did not find anything in the "live" threads.

The ideas are nice.  My generator does not seem to have a big muzzler on the exhaust port, hence I was thinking about working that part first.  

The Honda genies really impress me on how quiet they are.

The trick for this is to obtain a spare muffler from the mfr, a common muffler from an auto supply store/hot rod shop, and some flexible tubing that fits both the inlet and outlet sides of the muffler; preferably the same diameter for simplicity's sake.  This is all explained in the alpharubicon link above.

Have a local weldor attach a short section of tubing that will fit within the flexible tubing onto the new muffler, and paint the whole assembly with hi-temp exhaust header paint, so it won't rust prematurely.  Then slide the flex tube over the new attachment to the muffler, run a length to the new muffler, and then an additional length away from the muffler.  Clamp all joints, but you probably don't need a super tight clamp which might distort the tubing and so forth.  This whole rig won't cost a lot, and will go far towards helping quiet your Genny.  As noted, the things make a fair amount of mechanical noise in addition to exhaust noise, but this rig will significantly reduce exhaust sound noise.  An enclosure will help with the mechanical noise, but care must be taken to provide adequate cooling air flow; Some folks have made enclosures with intake and exhaust fans powered by the generator itself, and such fans need not draw much current.  Besides sound-deadening, a properly-built enclosure will protect the genny against rain, snow, etc.  Some folks attach wheels to the bottom of their enclosure, and leave the genny inside it more-or-less permanently.  Of course, the enclosure can store all sorts of cables and power strips, can be locked, and should have a couple of extremely stout anchoring points for security cables or chains--also stored inside.

I did this trick 5 years ago. I used a muffler and tail pipe off my junk truck before it went to the junkyard. welded a 2 1/4 pipe on the genny muffler and all i needed to buy was a 3 foot piece of flex and a couple clamps. It's very quite.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a portable generator 6kVA (9kVA peak) with a Briggs & Stratton little engine that is quite reliable and sometimes runs for 24 hours without a hitch.  However, it's very noisy.

I like to keep a low profile and even being able to power virtually all house (just turn off baseboard heaters, washer and drier machines and electric oven), I just turn on the essential lights to make minimum "advertisement" that I have one.

The noise, however, is high and I'd like to reduce it to a minimum, preferably to the level of those Honda Eco levels.

Any ideas?  

View Quote

You're asking your 6k watt generator with an engine roughly 342cc in size, to be as quiet as a 2000k watt 98cc honda engine?
Yes, the Honda's are quiet, but only when a small load is applied to them.
Your Briggs and Stratton genny has a much bigger engine and has to run at a static higher rpm to maintain output (usually 3600 rpm) regardless of load.

You can build a box or doghouse around your generator, but in the long run if you want to reduce your noise and run just the basics you listed off in your first post, maybe a smaller generator is in order?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#25]
The expensive solution is to get a few solar generators. Completely silent and doesn't need fuel.

But very expensive.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Dig a 2 foot hole and run garden hose from exhaust into the hole. Works very well. The hose will harden after awhile but all you need to do is cut off the few hardened inches and reinsert. I used this method with noisy 1.5KW and 4.2KW generators in the Army.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:50:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The expensive solution is to get a few solar generators. Completely silent and doesn't need fuel.
But very expensive.
View Quote

what a ripoff......

a box with a 50ah battery and a 1500w inverter for a mere $2k    O hell no....
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:19:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks!  I'll get exhaust extension.  Most of the noise appears to come from the exhaust, which seems to be almost non-existent.

I can build a wooden box and put it under the deck where it will be well sheltered from the elements and "temptations".

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

what a ripoff......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But very expensive.

what a ripoff......

A bit pricey but clean package. I am building a portable (towable) solar gen right now with 1680ah and a 4k trace inverter. Has 1k worth of panels and 1,5k on a wind turbine. Not counting my labor (probably 200hrs to build) I have almost $10k in the project. Solar/wind is not cheap upfront but will pay you back quickly and batts are about the only cost later, maintenance will improve the life.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I think sand bags would be the most effective. build a wall around it and direct the exhaust up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 5:18:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

1. car running and doors locked, eh?  there is no chance then that someone will break the side window and steal your entire car?

2. larger fuel tank, true.  and you'll need it since you are making something on the order of 30HP at idle to power a few things in the house.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

How could they steal it........? I mean, it has an extension cord plugged into it that tethers it securely to the house.........

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 5:26:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I would do.  Find a very large automotive muffler with the minimum inner diameter inlet pipe, and angle the exhaust out of the muffler up at 90*.  Install the genny in an insulated enclosure and that will dampen all of the engine noise.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 6:01:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Bigger muffler would be the easiest thing, after that I would say build a enclosure with hush mat or something padding the inside. Problem there's going to be heat, could probably rig up some ducted fans with baffling to vent the enclosure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top