Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2015 10:50:04 PM EDT
I'd like to keep about 10 gallons of gas available at all times in case we need to vacate the area asap.

I was looking at the new plastic jerry cans but would like suggestions.

I'd get non-alcohol and use stabil.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#1]
This is what you want.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#2]
PRI fuel treatment is better than Stabil...
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'd like to keep about 10 gallons of gas available at all times in case we need to vacate the area asap.

I was looking at the new plastic jerry cans but would like suggestions.

I'd get non-alcohol and use stabil.

Thanks.
View Quote

OP,

This thread will most probably soon dissolve into a bunch of pro and con arguments regarding ethanol and fuel additives.  

But like ColtRifle said, the one thing that most of the more experienced people on here agree on is that metal cans are better for long term storage.

I return you to the upcoming cluster...

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Costco used to sell the heavy gauge plastic 5 gallon cans from Scepter (commercial version, not .mil).  They were $17 each.  Might be a seasonal thing, as I haven't seen the there in awhile.  There was a thread here about them over the summer.

Read the "Fuel Can Oracle" thread in the Survival Discussion forum.  Lots of good info an links to jerry can vendors.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a trip up to Canada and bring back some MFCs
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is what you want.
View Quote

×2.

However Google their name, and jerrycans, and purchase from their ebay store to get free shipping ETA: LINK  It appears that there is now a slight price difference (there used not to be) so you'll have to play with shipping to see which is the best price for you

As well Lexington container company also sells valpro cans at a few dollars more, but they sell them in different colors  (red,blue,yellow,black,green) and they have free shipping on orders over 50 bucks.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is what you want.
View Quote

This is exactly what I have. 2 cans with one bottle of sta bil split between them. There are so many fakes out there not worth saving a couple of bucks. These are the best period.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh by the way, these are for non-potable water use only.  Wouldn't want to run afoul of the federal government.

They are JUST like the fuel cans though.......................
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is a possibility for me.  Does US customs care about the CARB nonsense?  Will they confiscaate them at the border?

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is a possibility for me.  Does US customs care about the CARB nonsense?  Will they confiscaate them at the border?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odds are they will waive you through with a smile. Even if they did stop you for inspection, I doubt they would look twice at those cans......too much apathy on their behalf.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought 4x green cans from a Manufacturer that have been making them for years..I can't remember off the top of my head what company it is but they have been holding up for 8 months now and still going strong

Also quick question, I remember awhile back that there was a product that would turn bad gas right again, anyone remember what it was?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought 4x green cans from a Manufacturer that have been making them for years..I can't remember off the top of my head what company it is but they have been holding up for 8 months now and still going strong

Also quick question, I remember awhile back that there was a product that would turn bad gas right again, anyone remember what it was?
View Quote

You're thinking of PRI G.  I personally use PRI G but if I had bad gas, I would just dispose of it.  I believe that PRI G has some good fuel preservative benefits but I don't believe that it would restore bad gas.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

×2.

However Google their name, and jerrycans, and purchase from their ebay store to get free shipping ETA: LINK  It appears that there is now a slight price difference (there used not to be) so you'll have to play with shipping to see which is the best price for you

As well Lexington container company also sells valpro cans at a few dollars more, but they sell them in different colors  (red,blue,yellow,black,green) and they have free shipping on orders over 50 bucks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what you want.

×2.

best price around $29 on new production European NATO cans

Best Price Around
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Those VP racing jugs are the best bang for the buck if you must not be CARB compliant.  However, since these are for storage instead of regular use, frankly I see no problem with the regular CARB cans.  One thing they do rather well is stay sealed, which is exactly what you want for storage.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Best Price Around
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what you want.

×2.

Best Price Around

Are they shipping to CARB states now? If so that's awesome.  Atlantic British always did so I was puzzled why P&M would not.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are they shipping to CARB states now? If so that's awesome.  Atlantic British always did so I was puzzled why P&M would not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best Price Around

P&M sells two versions, one of which ships anywhere, and the original mil spec, which they will not ship to CARB states.  On their website, the mil spec looks slightly darker, but I cannot see any other visual differences between the two besides their SKU numbers.  Call them!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#20]
After going through a bunch of them, I find I like Nato's best, Blitz's second, then MFC's. I don't want fuel in anything else, unless it's just a small container to run a saw or lawnmower.

A lot of good places above, but if you're going to buy, I suggest you do so from our very own Old Grouch...

http://store.oldgrouch.biz/rednajecan5g.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

P&M sells two versions, one of which ships anywhere, and the original mil spec, which they will not ship to CARB states.  On their website, the mil spec looks slightly darker, but I cannot see any other visual differences between the two besides their SKU numbers.  Call them!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best Price Around

I'm not sure about where they will ship but I just ordered two and they showed up yesterday and the are stamped with GELG on the side and made in Poland.  I ordered the Military Classic one but this version doesn't mention anything about shipping restrictions like the military classic does.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Any ever run these plastic nato cans? Interesting.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Those look similar to the "Carb compliant" scepter cans, but someone will be along shortly to refute (verify?) this.

One thing I don't like, the single handle. Traditionally single handles are for water, triple handles for fuel. I have a bunch of scepter water cans and 4 scepter jerry cans, and don't want to screw that up. Then again, the water cans are "UN" blue (direct from their website ... they ship their water cans to the US. Just saying...)
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those look similar to the "Carb compliant" scepter cans, but someone will be along shortly to refute (verify?) this.

One thing I don't like, the single handle. Traditionally single handles are for water, triple handles for fuel. I have a bunch of scepter water cans and 4 scepter jerry cans, and don't want to screw that up. Then again, the water cans are "UN" blue (direct from their website ... they ship their water cans to the US. Just saying...)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Those just 'look' thin and cheap by the flashing. I'd want to see one.

My Scepter water cans are Tan, BTW, and I bought them new via Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is exactly what I have. 2 cans with one bottle of sta bil split between them. There are so many fakes out there not worth saving a couple of bucks. These are the best period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what you want.

Well sealed jerry cans shouldn't need stabil.  I have 2 cans of gas sealed for over a year.  I turn them over once a year or so and the gas is just as good as when it went in. That's the nice thing about good metal jerry cans.  They seal really well and nothing evaporates.

OP, the metal jerry cans are well worth the money.  .  Don't forget to buy a spout.

ETA I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.  I've wanted a 10 liter can for a while and didn't know atlanticbritish had free shipping on ebay.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm not sure about where they will ship but I just ordered two and they showed up yesterday and the are stamped with GELG on the side and made in Poland.  I ordered the Military Classic one but this version doesn't mention anything about shipping restrictions like the military classic does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best Price Around

I just got 3 of the lighter colored cans (not the "Military Classic") from Prep and More, and I am happy with them.  The cam locks do take some strength to open, which they mention on the website but the cans seem very nice.  They are stamped "NOT FOR FUEL USE" on one side in the center section, but it is rather discreet and easily covered if you had a mind to do so.  I am slightly annoyed that it is neither pictured nor mentioned on the website, but the cans are otherwise quite nice.  I would buy again.

The box mine shipped in could hold 5 cans quite nicely (I only ordered 3), so I imagine that is the magic number if you are looking to minimize shipping costs per can.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder when they started stamping the side of their cans. The ones that I bought last year had a simple "Not for fuel use" sticker attached to the side that peeled off easily. I am planning on buying some more from them within the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wonder when they started stamping the side of their cans. The ones that I bought last year had a simple "Not for fuel use" sticker attached to the side that peeled off easily. I am planning on buying some more from them within the next few weeks.
View Quote

Did you buy the "Military Classic" (slightly darker green) or the regular NATO style (lighter green)? I live in a CARB state, and Minnesota is not a CARB state, so you might have bought the other offering.  It wouldn't surprise me if the military classic is just a sticker while the other one is stamped.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Gotcha. I bought their standard cans. I don't believe that the military classic cans were offered at the time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Can't go wrong with mil issue jerrys and a donkey dick. As far as fuel going bad, every month I empty them out by filling up my truck, jeep, bike, lawn mower, whatever until they are empty then load them up in my truck and head to the gas station and refill. This way the gas stays fresh and it gets used.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I have stored gas in nato cans for 5 years with no problems.

I use super unleaded with stabil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top