Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2015 11:53:41 AM EDT
Any reason not to go with a fixed blade.

I *think* opening/closing a folder lends itself to accidents more than a fixed.

I have a couple mora and mora knockoffs that have rubber grips.

Overthinking it? Any reason not to go fixed?

If you can remember, what was your first blade?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

in the same dilemma my friend?  how old is the boy?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7. Routinely in the field with me. Sensible kid, but still capable of idiocy. Knife use will be supervised.

A light switch went off this summer. He's recently shown great enthusiasm for shooting, firemaking, hunting, camping, etc.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

7. Routinely in the field with me. Sensible kid, but still capable of idiocy. Knife use will be supervised.

A light switch went off this summer. He's recently shown great enthusiasm for shooting, firemaking, hunting, camping, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

in the exact some boat with my oldest.. he's 10.. already shooting and hunting with me.. and i think it's time for a blade as well.  and the same rules would apply.  my first was a folder.. an old timer.. i still have it somewhere and am thinking that would be suffice.. but.. don't think it would do him much good in the woods and camping.. so i'm with you.. torn between the two.. hell.. i might get him both.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
My son is 12 now. I got him his first knife when he was about 7, swiss army. I honestly don't think, if safety is practiced, it matters much if it's fixed blade or not, less moving around with it to where he may fall on it, but that's not being safe with it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#5]
A small Old Timer, they are good knives.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Swiss Army Farmer would be a nice choice and a bit more modern. I would imagine most kids would look at an old timer and cringe.

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Outdoor-Repairs/Hunting/Farmer/53964
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Look into the SAK SwissChamp.  After carrying a Leatherman SuperTool v.1 for 12 years, I switched over to my SwissChamp and it's a pretty flexible knife that can be carried without a lot of oohs and ahhs from the unwashed masses.

I have a couple of fixed blade knives, but don't carry them.  

I bought an Esee 4 and for that type of thing, it's a quality piece for not a lot of money.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Mora

They're cheap if he loses it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I  had a Cub Scout knife in the Cub Scouts and Boy Scout knife in Boy Scouts, both folders.    

Other parents are not too comfortable having their kids around fixed blade knives.  Boys will be boys and kids get cut fooling around.  Its not like Boy Scouts you go out and dress out a deer.

Tj
View Quote
me too

I think a slip joint folder is the best knife for a first knife.

I got all my kids SAKs at about 6 or 7.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I know its a novel concept for Arfcom, but I am going to put him on BOTH!

We'll see how he does. I think I'll issue him a Daddy Toten' Chip Card too.

I have a number of folders that fit the bill. It won't be an assisted/bump opener though. Playing with that may be irresistible.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
In my youth we were big fixed blade fans (cause bigger is always better).  However at scout camp we heard rumblings and grumblings about fixed blades, and rumors of "bans " on fixed blades.
I would think a good locking blade, with a handle that is sized for the kid that he can use safely would be a good starting place.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#13]
For a fixed blade I would get one of the Swedish scout Moras, the one with the metal guard. They are nice and work well for whittling, carving, etc.  

American Scouting doesn't like fixed blades anymore but in the distant past they had some nice ones.  When I was in scouting in the late 80's though they were on a jag about fixed blade knives bein a sign of a greenhorn.  I think that is dumb but from an institutional standpoint they have to consider the lowest common denominator so I guess I get it.  My kids are under my supervision though and both have fixed blades and either Swiss Army knives or camper type Jack knives.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Mora Pro Carbon steel.  It will give him a lifetime of service and a finger guard to help him learn. The carbon so he learns to care for it proper like. Get him started on sharpening right away too.

I would get him a good multi tool too. That will get him well rounded quickly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I found my first Cub Scout knife a few years ago, sadly it had been neglected for nearly 60 years... today I'd look at a  Vic Farmer

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#16]
For my 6 year old I got the Mora with the fire starter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

These make great skinners.  I have the small and large version. I also have a smaller bladed Ka-Bar that I borrowed from my Dad for many hunting trips with I was growing up.  He eventually gave it to me.  The scabbard had lots of character.  

Depending on your kids age, it may be better to not give a pocket knife.  They are too easy to forget in your pocket and could cause issues in a school environment these days.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

These make great skinners.  I have the small and large version. I also have a smaller bladed Ka-Bar that I borrowed from my Dad for many hunting trips with I was growing up.  He eventually gave it to me.  The scabbard had lots of character.  

Depending on your kids age, it may be better to not give a pocket knife. They are too easy to forget in your pocket and could cause issues in a school environment these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on your kids age, it may be better to not give a pocket knife. They are too easy to forget in your pocket and could cause issues in a school environment these days.

True, but I do not intend to let him carry one unless he is with me doing guy "stuff". Sad how times have changed though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I think a Leatherman Wave would be a great first knife/tool for a boy.  Another good knife only would be a Spyderco Delica.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

True, but I do not intend to let him carry one unless he is with me doing guy "stuff". Sad how times have changed though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say this because I got caught once.......or maybe 5 times with a pocket knife and all sorts of contraband in school.  At least it wasn't a felony back then, but I was one of those people that the teacher watched the closest.  Kinda like the movie:  Christmas Story.  That teacher's drawer of contraband would have been from me alone.

I have not so fond memories of that scout's knife, in the post above.  The awl cut the hell out of my hand.  

If you do go with a folder, get a locker.  Gerber has some good stuff, like the E-Z Out, that really holds an edge and is very durable.  Even if it does get lost, it is cheap to replace.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I say this because I got caught once.......or maybe 5 times with a pocket knife and all sorts of contraband in school.  At least it wasn't a felony back then, but I was one of those people that the teacher watched the closest.  Kinda like the movie:  Christmas Story.  That teacher's drawer of contraband would have been from me alone.

I have not so fond memories of that scout's knife, in the post above.  The awl cut the hell out of my hand.  

If you do go with a folder, get a locker.  Gerber has some good stuff, like the E-Z Out, that really holds an edge and is very durable.  Even if it does get lost, it is cheap to replace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's sad is that my friends and I could go on a morning hunt and drive straight to high school. Often times, shotguns were resting in visible window racks. Nary a word said.

Now a poptart shaped like a gun is worthy of national news.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think a Leatherman Wave would be a great first knife/tool for a boy.  Another good knife only would be a Spyderco Delica.

View Quote

A Wave is a little busy for a kid. And the bit would be gone by day 2.

The Kick fits the bill though.

I'm not going to put real money into his gear quite yet, except for a Tactical Taylor bag that was recommended in another thread.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

my first blade was a buck folder from my grandfather....but i also live in a slave state
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#24]
One up side to a folder is that if you don't want to use the scabbard, you can fold it and put it in your pocket.

This was my first real knife.

I think I had a couple cheapo pocket knives before this one.

I was about 10 when I got it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Fixed blade or a locking folder.
I love my SAK Pioneer, but a lock can prevent some cuts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#26]
here in CA you cant conceal a fixed blade. IE in your pocket is illegal. But ANY size folder is legal. No idea knife laws elsewhere. I know any real fixed blade is illegal in TX
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A small Buck locking knife would be good or if you want inexpensive but secure locking an Opinel. I really like Opinels they lock open and closed and come in a full range of sizes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A small Buck locking knife would be good or if you want inexpensive but secure locking an Opinel. I really like Opinels they lock open and closed and come in a full range of sizes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good suggestion!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Victorinox Scout knife - locking folder
OR
Buck 112
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#30]
A Mora would be a great knife, but a consider getting the boy a USMC Kabar copy. It looks cool and works hard.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#31]
If you qualify, you could order an ESEE-3 direct and they'll scribe his initials or even name (if it's short enough) on the scales.  I think it was a $5 extra when you order- I got my ham call sign put on mine.

The knife will outlast him, teach him the proper care for things made of steel, and will be an heirloom he can pass on.  It's big enough to impress him, yet practical too.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#32]
If he doesn't get a folder, how will he ever cut himself playing with it and learn the fundamental lessons of folding blades?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I vote fixed blade Randall. . If that is out of the question, a nice ESEE 3 or GSO 4 would fit the bill
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#34]
You mentioned you have moras, so why not get a couple more? Like one of their crafting versions with the handguard hook on the handle and the other with the rubber grip. Easy enough to hold onto and will help prevent him from sliding his hand over the blade. Plus they are cheap, sharp as hell, and they have a very simple edge to them.

Mora Companion
Mora craftline
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I am just going to work with him with a variety of knives this fall and see what knives fit him best.

As nice as ESEE's, Randall, etc., are, he will working with moras and kershaws.

Most of you guys want my little buddy to have nicer things than me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am just going to work with him with a variety of knives this fall and see what knives fit him best.

View Quote

My son (now 16 years old) has more choices with my inventory than I would ever have dreamed at his age.  However, his first fixed blade was an inexpensive Mora Clipper with a carbon steel blade.  I bought about a half dozen of the knives (they were like $8) and had a nice Kydex sheath made with fire steel attachment.  The sheath was as expensive as three knives, but my reasoning was that the sheath would be attached to his pack or belt at all times and if he lost the blade, it wasn't difficult to replace.

This worked out to be a great decision.  First, it's a sharp knife which helps mitigate cutting accidents.  The carbon steel is perfect to teach knife maintenance, especially with an inexpensive knife.  If he didn't clean the blade or put it away wet, it would show the next morning...great teaching moments.  This was also a good blade to teach sharpening.  It's pretty straight-forward for traditional bench stone work and even if he screws it up, it's not too hard to fix...again, mistakes are easy to swallow on an inexpensive blade.  

What I thought were the only detractors of the Mora Clipper were the drab color (especially when I forced a patina on a very rusted blade I cleaned up) and no lanyard attachment for a bright colored lanyard.  I was right in thinking those but it worked to a teachable advantage; if the knife was left on a log, rock or ground it was hard to see.  This really helped to reinforce why you always secure your knife after use or even between cutting tasks. Not only is the knife a hazard when left unattended and unsheathed, but losing your primary cutting tool is a major incident.  After an incident of almost losing his knife, he quickly learned to either have his knife in hand or in the sheath.  He never did lose his Clipper and I have a couple spares still...

If I was going to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing, but maybe consider the Mora 511 (finger guard) or the 510 (no finger guard) depending on the maturity of my kid.  I would probably have a sheath made using the Blade-Tech clip as it's easier to move from belt to pack if needed, but the experiment worked out well for my son.  Having a lanyard attachment is still a good idea and that's a consideration I would have for a more expensive blade, but for a Mora, it's only a slight issue. Of course, he now has a custom bushcraft knife, ESEE knife along with a few others, but he plans to keep that Mora Clipper and eventually give it to his kids...

ROCK6

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#37]
As always, great comments Rock. Thanks.

Quoted:

My son (now 16 years old) has more choices with my inventory than I would ever have dreamed at his age.  However, his first fixed blade was an inexpensive Mora Clipper with a carbon steel blade.  I bought about a half dozen of the knives (they were like $8) and had a nice Kydex sheath made with fire steel attachment.  The sheath was as expensive as three knives, but my reasoning was that the sheath would be attached to his pack or belt at all times and if he lost the blade, it wasn't difficult to replace.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/PSK%20Gear/KidsFB2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/KidsFB2.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/PSK%20Gear/KidsFB1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/KidsFB1.jpg</a>

This worked out to be a great decision.  First, it's a sharp knife which helps mitigate cutting accidents.  The carbon steel is perfect to teach knife maintenance, especially with an inexpensive knife.  If he didn't clean the blade or put it away wet, it would show the next morning...great teaching moments.  This was also a good blade to teach sharpening.  It's pretty straight-forward for traditional bench stone work and even if he screws it up, it's not too hard to fix...again, mistakes are easy to swallow on an inexpensive blade.  

What I thought were the only detractors of the Mora Clipper were the drab color (especially when I forced a patina on a very rusted blade I cleaned up) and no lanyard attachment for a bright colored lanyard.  I was right in thinking those but it worked to a teachable advantage; if the knife was left on a log, rock or ground it was hard to see.  This really helped to reinforce why you always secure your knife after use or even between cutting tasks. Not only is the knife a hazard when left unattended and unsheathed, but losing your primary cutting tool is a major incident.  After an incident of almost losing his knife, he quickly learned to either have his knife in hand or in the sheath.  He never did lose his Clipper and I have a couple spares still...

If I was going to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing, but maybe consider the Mora 511 (finger guard) or the 510 (no finger guard) depending on the maturity of my kid.  I would probably have a sheath made using the Blade-Tech clip as it's easier to move from belt to pack if needed, but the experiment worked out well for my son.  Having a lanyard attachment is still a good idea and that's a consideration I would have for a more expensive blade, but for a Mora, it's only a slight issue. Of course, he now has a custom bushcraft knife, ESEE knife along with a few others, but he plans to keep that Mora Clipper and eventually give it to his kids...

ROCK6

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/PSK%20Gear/KidsFB2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/KidsFB2.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/PSK%20Gear/KidsFB1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/KidsFB1.jpg</a>

ROCK6

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Becker BK11 or Remora?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#39]
My first was a Buck 110, Now I would probably get a Mora.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I  had a Cub Scout knife in the Cub Scouts and Boy Scout knife in Boy Scouts, both folders.    

Other parents are not too comfortable having their kids around fixed blade knives.  Boys will be boys and kids get cut fooling around.  Its not like Boy Scouts you go out and dress out a deer.

Tj
View Quote

I did too!  Then a Buck knife lock blade.  At 41, I carry a SAK daily.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Another vote for a Swiss Army. Practical but not cool enough to do stupid stuff with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top