Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 9:45:53 AM EDT
aluminum, stainless steel and titanium... soo many to choose from.  i would say that SS is the best way to go.. but there are several different options depending on the adventure.. so, whats the best option for your pack.. "camping/bushing it" using open flame and grill grate and such?  i'm looking for a good set to pack in my kit for a good price.. i don't mind paying a little extra for good quality and something that will last.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Alum is light, but sucks to cook with and is weak. Stainless cooks great, strong...but is heavy as hell. Titanium is light, strong, and decent to cook with..sans a skillet(easy to burn). I'm a ti guy. Been using the same ti pot for 20yrs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alum is light, but sucks to cook with and is weak. Stainless cooks great, strong...but is heavy as hell. Titanium is light, strong, and decent to cook with..sans a skillet(easy to burn). I'm a ti guy. Been using the same ti pot for 20yrs.
View Quote

by ti.. i assume titanium.. just want to make sure.. so i've read that it is easily warpped.. obviously you haven't had that problem if you've been using the same pot for 20yrs.. do you cook in open flame or on grate or hang it..etc..etc.  i've used aluminum before..been a long time ago.. when i was a young buck.. but i'm packing out a set up to take my oldest boy into the woods.. he's 10 and it's time.. we get out into the woods a lot.. but its time to get out and get nasty...lol.. so.. i'm looking for the best options and solutions for gear.  i do but don't necessarily have a budget..but i want to be smart about what i buy and get the best bang for my buck!  god i can't believe i'm just not getting around to this with him!  not sure who is excited more.. LOL
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Cast Iron for the win.

The only other is a stainless steel pot for spaghetti.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

by ti.. i assume titanium.. just want to make sure.. so i've read that it is easily warpped.. obviously you haven't had that problem if you've been using the same pot for 20yrs.. do you cook in open flame or on grate or hang it..etc..etc.  i've used aluminum before..been a long time ago.. when i was a young buck.. but i'm packing out a set up to take my oldest boy into the woods.. he's 10 and it's time.. we get out into the woods a lot.. but its time to get out and get nasty...lol.. so.. i'm looking for the best options and solutions for gear.  i do but don't necessarily have a budget..but i want to be smart about what i buy and get the best bang for my buck!  god i can't believe i'm just not getting around to this with him!  not sure who is excited more.. LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No open fires. Always a backpacking stove. Lots of snow melting. Theres a learning curve regarding that. First time, I let the melting snow recede off the bottom, and it turned blue there and warped a little. That was about 18yrs ago, and about 500 trips since(I kept a log), a lot of which was winter/snow camping. Still going strong otherwise. Its a 1.3ltr Snowpeak. Great do-all size.

Recently. I've taken to using this 3 piece ti Snowpeak set(wouldn't have, but I inherited it new and unused, from my late brother 2yrs ago). Nests together, with the fuel canister and stove wind guard included, all going inside of it. Like this in its mesh stuff sack, in the bottom of this pic...

Here it is opened up(2 pots, 1 skillet), with the stove wind guard installed(note stove w/o it in top pic). The skillet acts as pot lid when not in use.

I've also had this ti MSR spoon for about 18-19yrs. I don't use sporks. Its still going strong too. The white heavy duty plastic backpacking spoons WILL break after a yr or two of heavy use. Been there done that a couple times.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cast Iron for the win.

View Quote

do you pack that in your gear and haul it or do "truck camp" as i call it.. you know. pile all you gear in the truck..pull up to a camp site and just drag out what you need when you need it.. that type of thing?  cast iron is heavy man.. even the small skillets i have.. i'm not sure that i would pack them.  but truck camping.. cast iron for the win..
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No open fires. Always a backpacking stove. Lots of snow melting. Theres a learning curve regarding that. First time, I let the melting snow recede off the bottom, and it turned blue there and warped a little. That was about 18yrs ago, and about 500 trips since(I kept a log), a lot of which was winter/snow camping. Still going strong otherwise. Its a 1.3ltr Snowpeak. Great do-all size.

Recently. I've taken to using this 3 piece ti Snowpeak set(wouldn't have, but I inherited it new and unused, from my late brother 2yrs ago). Nests together, with the fuel canister and stove wind guard included, all going inside of it. Like this in its mesh stuff sack, in the bottom of this pic...
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/hipower90hipower020/Shining%20Rock%20solo%205%208%20014%20017_zpsktcwu1bb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/hipower90hipower020/Shining%20Rock%20solo%205%208%20014%20017_zpsktcwu1bb.jpg</a>

Here it is opened up, with the stove wind guard installed(note stove w/o it in top pic). The skillet acts as pot lid when not in use.
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/hipower90hipower020/Shining%20Rock%20solo%205%208%20014%20050_zpsmcaqfxjm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/hipower90hipower020/Shining%20Rock%20solo%205%208%20014%20050_zpsmcaqfxjm.jpg</a>
I've also had this ti MSR spoon for about 18-19yrs. I don't use sporks. Its still going strong too. The white heavy duty plastic backpacking spoons WILL break after a yr or two of heavy use. Been there done that a couple times.
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/hipower90hipower017/Middleprong%20Wilderness%2011%2013%20135_zpsxy9mj7cv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/hipower90hipower017/Middleprong%20Wilderness%2011%2013%20135_zpsxy9mj7cv.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/hipower90hipower020/Shining%20Rock%20solo%205%208%20014%20017_zpsktcwu1bb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/hipower90hipower020/Shining%20Rock%20solo%205%208%20014%20017_zpsktcwu1bb.jpg</a>

Here it is opened up, with the stove wind guard installed(note stove w/o it in top pic). The skillet acts as pot lid when not in use.
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/hipower90hipower020/Shining%20Rock%20solo%205%208%20014%20050_zpsmcaqfxjm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/hipower90hipower020/Shining%20Rock%20solo%205%208%20014%20050_zpsmcaqfxjm.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/hipower90hipower017/Middleprong%20Wilderness%2011%2013%20135_zpsxy9mj7cv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/hipower90hipower017/Middleprong%20Wilderness%2011%2013%20135_zpsxy9mj7cv.jpg</a>

gotcha!  no snow here.. if it did.. the world would end!! LOL.. but.. in the current config i'm building i do have a small "smoker grate" that will fit perfectly in my pack, so that would make using titanium no issue.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like stainless steel.  I'm not a big fan of aluminum.  The titanium is neat but I don't own any so can't speak from experience.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

do you pack that in your gear and haul it or do "truck camp" as i call it.. you know. pile all you gear in the truck..pull up to a camp site and just drag out what you need when you need it.. that type of thing?  cast iron is heavy man.. even the small skillets i have.. i'm not sure that i would pack them.  but truck camping.. cast iron for the win..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cast Iron for the win.

I'm guilty, I pack what I think I want for the week Into a wood crate and take off. but my crate doubles as a table. Yes I'm a truck camper.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Cookware is most often heavy.
Boilwaterware can be very light.

I prefer SS if I am really going to cook, but Al or Ti if I am carrying it all very far.

Cast iron for hunting camp.

All about trade offs.  Heavier, thicker pots and pans as a rule cook better and more even than thinner ones.  Likewise, copper, copper clad stainless and cast iron as the metals distribute heat more evenly and cook better than say Al or even Ti in my experience.

Everyone's idea and style of 'cooking' in the back county is different.  You just gotta find what works for your style.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm guilty, I pack what I think I want for the week Into a wood crate and take off. but my crate doubles as a table. Yes I'm a truck camper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cast Iron for the win.

hey..no worries brother... truck camped for years.. and will continue to do so.. not really planning on a long trek or hike style camping adventure anytime soon.. this is just me and the boy.. but i do want something packable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cookware is most often heavy.Boilwaterware can be very light.

I prefer SS if I am really going to cook, but Al or Ti if I am carrying it all very far.
Cast iron for hunting camp.

All about trade offs.  Heavier, thicker pots and pans as a rule cook better and more even than thinner ones.  Likewise, copper, copper clad stainless and cast iron as the metals distribute heat more evenly and cook better than say Al or even Ti in my experience.

Everyone's idea and style of 'cooking' in the back county is different.  You just gotta find what works for your style.

this!!  very very true.. but i still like to hear what others think, like, use.. many options are always good or bad.. i just like them...LOL!!

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

hey..no worries brother... truck camped for years.. and will continue to do so.. not really planning on a long trek or hike style camping adventure anytime soon.. this is just me and the boy.. but i do want something packable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cast Iron for the win.

It's all good, I've taken my daughter for years camping. She has her own cast iron pan she likes cooking in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Heres the kit in the above pics. $50.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Snow-Peak-3-Piece-TI/productDetail/Mess-Kits/prod9999012244/cat101732

As I've posted here recently, the hard foam mil spec green sleeping pad material, is the best for what we call a Duck pad. One of my "must go" items. Endless uses... Cooking platform for the stove(especially in an tent)..set a hot pot on, on ones lap(like in the above pic in my previous post)), tent floor, etc....for a seat along the trail or camp...also a great seat when pumping water along a creek with otherwise wet soft moss on its banks...fan a fire with it...place it at the door of ones tent so ones knees can go on it(when going in/out), sparing the tent floor regarding long term abrasion...cutting board...stand on while changing pants/boots/socks/whatever along the wet trail...goes under ones feet when in the camp chair while not wearing ones boots....etc etc. I carry on ein my day pack as well. And it weighs less about 1oz.

Being used when sitting in snow, or even this wet bridge(all 4 of us are sitting on one at this moment), etc. Lean against the pack while sitting on it. Presto. Works awesome.

Or setting along this creek while filtering ones water. Show me a dry place to sit otherwise... At least if ones not wearing shell pants.

Or a stove platform in this kind of environment. Beats starting a grass fire lol. Note 16oz sleeping bag. Western Mtneering Highlite. Stuffs to the size of a grapefruit. Good to the mid to low 20s(conservatively rated to 35*). About $350.

This whole load with food(3 days) is about 15-16lbs total(less water. usually carry about 1-1.5 liter at any given time. water is no problem in this region). Tons of room...decadent chair(used with the sleeping pad)....4 season shelter...filter..stove...etc. I'm not going without.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Snow-Peak-3-Piece-TI/productDetail/Mess-Kits/prod9999012244/cat101732

As I've posted here recently, the hard foam mil spec green sleeping pad material, is the best for what we call a Duck pad. One of my "must go" items. Endless uses... Cooking platform for the stove(especially in an tent)..set a hot pot on, on ones lap(like in the above pic in my previous post)), tent floor, etc....for a seat along the trail or camp...also a great seat when pumping water along a creek with otherwise wet soft moss on its banks...fan a fire with it...place it at the door of ones tent so ones knees can go on it(when going in/out), sparing the tent floor regarding long term abrasion...cutting board...stand on while changing pants/boots/socks/whatever along the wet trail...goes under ones feet when in the camp chair while not wearing ones boots....etc etc. I carry on ein my day pack as well. And it weighs less about 1oz.
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/hipower90hipower018/Middleprong%20Wilderness%2011%2013%20082_zpsrdzydwlq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/hipower90hipower018/Middleprong%20Wilderness%2011%2013%20082_zpsrdzydwlq.jpg</a>

Being used when sitting in snow, or even this wet bridge(all 4 of us are sitting on one at this moment), etc. Lean against the pack while sitting on it. Presto. Works awesome.
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/InianPeaks128.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/InianPeaks128.jpg</a>

Or setting along this creek while filtering ones water. Show me a dry place to sit otherwise... At least if ones not wearing shell pants.
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/InianPeaks003.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/InianPeaks003.jpg</a>

Or a stove platform in this kind of environment. Beats starting a grass fire lol. Note 16oz sleeping bag. Western Mtneering Highlite. Stuffs to the size of a grapefruit. Good to the mid to low 20s(conservatively rated to 35*). About $350.
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/WayneMorrisWorlds0913202_zpsf3e0384a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/WayneMorrisWorlds0913202_zpsf3e0384a.jpg</a>
This whole load with food(3 days) is about 15-16lbs total(less water. usually carry about 1-1.5 liter at any given time. water is no problem in this region). Tons of room...decadent chair(used with the sleeping pad)....4 season shelter...filter..stove...etc. I'm not going without.
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hipower90hipower/media/WayneMorrisWorlds0913232_zps88bbdaa4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/WayneMorrisWorlds0913232_zps88bbdaa4.jpg</a>
View Quote

nice man!!  all kinds of terrain.. what boot are you running?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/hipower90hipower018/Middleprong%20Wilderness%2011%2013%20082_zpsrdzydwlq.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/InianPeaks128.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/InianPeaks003.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/WayneMorrisWorlds0913202_zpsf3e0384a.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/hipower90hipower/WayneMorrisWorlds0913232_zps88bbdaa4.jpg
View Quote
+1 on the piece of closed cell foam. I have a rectangle from a gi pad that goes with me on every trip.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Which pot material?

Thermal conductivity of materials (W/(m K)):
Higher is better...

Aluminum --------205
Iron, cast ---------55
Titanium ----------22
Stainless Steel---16

The thickness of the pot needs to be considered. Ti has the advantage of being thinner so the poor conductivity get evened out a little.

Conductive Heat Transfer:

Mat---Thickness-----Q

Al-----1.5mm--109000
Ti-----1mm-----35200
SS-----1.5mm---8500

I have used quality Al, Ti and SS back packing pots. Currently I have SS and Al pot sets. The SS is a 4L pot for melting snow and the Al is for general backing. I saw a comment above that states Al sucks to cook with.... I mostly 'cook' dinner (not just boil water), I have never had a problem with Al. If anything it spreads the heat better, making cook easier.

Clearly from a math stand point the Al wins. I prefer it for several reasons. One of which is the noise it makes. Both SS and Ti are 'clanky' to me, with Ti the worst. Al has a softer sound.

This year I traded in my MSR Blacklite set for a Hard Ano set. The Hard Ano is thinner and lighter. Two 7 day trips later, I'm convinced the Hard Ano uses less fuel, cooks a little faster and maybe more evenly. IIRC it is 7075 instead of 6061.

Another +1 for a carrying a piece of closed cell foam. Approx. 12" x 12" is standard issue for my crew. Hot pad, SEAT (butt pad), pot cozzy, put is stuff bag for pillow, etc.

Cool Lake

There was an "aggressive bear" warning for the x-country basin we were in. This was in THE campsite we found. Didn't sleep great but never saw Mr. Bear

Boiling breakfast water

Car Camp right below the trail head - gotta love the East Side...

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Can't argue with that.  If it was light enough for me to carry, I'd be right there.  Stuff you can haul in a truck, I'm pretty fond of old school enamel ware too.  Absolutely nothing better than a pot of fresh coffee, beans crushed that morning, cooked in an old school enamel percolator.  UMMM, umm, good. Not even to mention plates that can actually hold something, you can cut a piece of meat, and not have to worry about it all dumping on the ground.  

You know I love the simplicity of my pack stuff but man are we missing out on some damn fine eating.  

Tj
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cast Iron for the win.

Can't argue with that.  If it was light enough for me to carry, I'd be right there.  Stuff you can haul in a truck, I'm pretty fond of old school enamel ware too.  Absolutely nothing better than a pot of fresh coffee, beans crushed that morning, cooked in an old school enamel percolator.  UMMM, umm, good. Not even to mention plates that can actually hold something, you can cut a piece of meat, and not have to worry about it all dumping on the ground.  

You know I love the simplicity of my pack stuff but man are we missing out on some damn fine eating.  

Tj

Right on all points. Ummm Morning dew coffee, nothing better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#22]
http://fourdog.com/trek-900-titanium/

Get the wire handle and a lid.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#24]
nice hiker gear write up

another Ti cookpot option
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#25]
TJ -

I got confused about the weight too... If you scroll down 6.2 oz (not 1#).

My Hard Ano set is just under 1#:
3L pot and Lid
2L pot and Lid
MSR Pot Grabber
Nylon Carry Bag

My normal group is 3, plenty of room for soup and main course -> 5.3 oz each. Ditch the 2L pot and it is lighter yet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Snow peak 700
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#27]
picked one of these lil guys up yesterday

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-b99c/k2-_19200b17-63d7-4ffc-b9ca-b3193ef4ca55.v1.jpg
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
picked one of these lil guys up yesterday

View Quote

---

On another note I tend to lean towards stainless if for nothing more then I like it.

I use an OliCamp nesting cup, Snow peak kettle #1 and a cheap pie tin from wallyworld.

A regular dollar spoon with some paracord attached rounds out the utensils.  I did get a titanium spork for Xmas but haven't really used it yet.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I like TJ's enamel ware.  We burned something into the bottom of it at the last big camp it and it went to his house to be cleaned cause we forgot to let it soak overnight to clean it up.  

I tend to dent and chip up enamel ware, I am a clutz at times, so I skip enamel ware.

I never got into ti because if I need to lose weight from what is going hiking I just need to lose it from my biere gut.

I love stainless steel.  I do have cast iron in the house kitchen but lots of stainless steel in the kitchen as well.  

I grew up with aluminum mess kits in the boy scouts and don't like aluminum for cooking.  I love aluminum for other stuff, but not cook wear.

Between stainless steel coffee cups and stainless steel mixing bowls and measuring cups I can put together a small kit that does not match but I can get by with stuff not matching.  I like small stoves like esbit or canteen stoves that are easy for what I want to do.  I tend to use a mixing bowl rather than a pie plate like someone put in a pic above, the mixing bowl will have a flat bottom but depending on what you want to do the pie plate might do better.

I do have some of the home made alcohol or wood stick burning stoves as well.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Solo Stove makes some killer stainless cookware that isn't super heavy.  Only AL stuff I have is a Coleman set that fits my svea123 perfectly.

And I'm that guy with the ti spork, even when car camping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top