Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2015 5:46:07 PM EDT
I am kind of a bigger guy and I am looking for a mummy bag that is good down to 10 degrees F. I would appreciate any suggestions
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
USGI   4 bag
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Budget? This will have a huge impact on what you can get.

From a hardcore backpackers take.. A high end down bag is THE best (sans getting it wet. thats easy tho. Just don't get it wet) option for less weight and bulk for a any given temp range. Period. And arguably THE best avail is Western Mtneering. I have 2 of their bags currently. But..they are expensive. But..they'll last a life time.

The Badger is 15* rating(their bags are always under rated regarding temp range), and has a wide 66" width at the shoulders(most all std compact mummys are 59" there. most wide bags are 64" there). Like all their bags, it comes in 3 lengths from 5'6" to 6'6" 2lb 8oz for the 6'.  $590.

http://www.wildernessx.com/badger-mf-15f-bag.html

The Xtremelite series Versalite uses their super light weight shell material, is rated at 10*(with 10" fat inches of loft). but its 62" at the shoulders. 2lbs including its stuff sack. $578. Read the reviews for these.. they are what all other bags are measured against.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Western-Mountaineering-10-Degree-Versalite-Sleeping-Bag_10046497_10208_10000001_-1_

Concerning ratings, I've used the 16oz Highlite 40* down to the high teens and was GTG. Used the 1lb 8oz Ultralite 25* to the high single digits, and was still GTG. Yes I was wearing a good base layer, head cover, and wool socks. As I should be.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Budget? This will have a huge impact on what you can get.

From a hardcore backpackers take.. A high end down bag is THE best (sans getting it wet. thats easy tho. Just don't get it wet) option for less weight and bulk for a any given temp range. Period. And arguably THE best avail is Western Mtneering. I have 2 of their bags currently. But..they are expensive. But..they'll last a life time.

The Badger is 15* rating(their bags are always under rated regarding temp range), and has a wide 66" width at the shoulders(most all std compact mummys are 59" there. most wide bags are 64" there). Like all their bags, it comes in 3 lengths from 5'6" to 6'6" 2lb 8oz for the 6'.  $590.

http://www.wildernessx.com/badger-mf-15f-bag.html

The Xtremelite series Versalite uses their super light weight shell material, is rated at 10*(with 10" fat inches of loft). but its 62" at the shoulders. 2lbs including its stuff sack. $578. Read the reviews for these.. they are what all other bags are measured against.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Western-Mountaineering-10-Degree-Versalite-Sleeping-Bag_10046497_10208_10000001_-1_

Concerning ratings, I've used the 16oz Highlite 40* down to the high teens and was GTG. Used the 1lb 8oz Ultralite 25* to the high single digits, and was still GTG. Yes I was wearing a good base layer, head cover, and wool socks. As I should be.
View Quote

I have the WM Badger. lot of money, but I don't get cold. Also you need to go with a good pad. I use Exped.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely, concerning the pad. Been using the old school Thermarest Ultralite 72 and 48" pads for yrs. They all eventually will de-laminate tho, and then bubble outward. I've had several warrentied over the yrs. I'm now on a relatively luxurious 72" Sea to Summit Ultralite (insulated version) at 15oz. Plus the pads double up with the ultralite chair kit. Priceless after a long days hike.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a quilt with a footbox from golite. I love how I can wrap up in it however I feel. Tight like a mummy or loose like a blanket. It's rated down to 20 and it works well in those temps. Golite is out of business now but thermarest and a few others make quilts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you looked at Wiggys?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use a quilt with a footbox from golite. I love how I can wrap up in it however I feel. Tight like a mummy or loose like a blanket. It's rated down to 20 and it works well in those temps. Golite is out of business now but thermarest and a few others make quilts.
View Quote

+1 on quilts. I use a down quilt as they're even lighter and more efficient than comparably rated down sleeping bags. I use mine and attach it to my sleeping pad.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I am kind of a bigger guy and I am looking for a mummy bag that is good down to 10 degrees F. I would appreciate any suggestions
View Quote

how big?

budget?

truck/car/koa camp or hiking?

with out that info..your 10f walmart bag thats 18lbs will work or the 400$ xyz thats 3 lbs....

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

how big?
budget?

with out that info..your 10f walmart bag thats 18lbs will work or the 400$ xyz thats 3 lbs....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how big?
budget?

+1

I use a combination of cheap and expensive bags depending on what I am doing.

Small Kelty down bag.
Recon 3.
Everest mummy beater bag.

All have their advantages and disadvantages.  The down bag is good when its warm, its small and light, the recon 3 is great in less than ideal conditions as its kind of half bivi, half sleeping bag...  Everest bag is a good cheap spring or fall bag if the conditions could be wet or damp vs using down.  Big price difference in those three.  $30~$130...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a brand new GI Sleep System for winter use.  I used it camping last January in the Boundary Waters.  I had a wood stove in the tent but we didn't leave a fire burning overnight for safety, so basically it was warm in the tent for about 15 minutes and then quickly became whatever the ambient temperature was.  I noted -5 F to +5 F in the tent on waking up to start a fire.

The GI system kept me warm all night in those conditions.  Additionally, I was on a cot with a sleeping pad(not a commercial one, but simply a 6' long roll of Reflectix insulation, it's like space blanket bubble wrap, very light), and wore my merino long underwear in the bag.

The best part of the GI bag was the outermost bag has a reverse hood, that you can put over your face, without it being ON your face.  This helped keep my face warm without feeling suffocated, although I generally woke up to icicles from my breath.

I'm positive there are lighter bags, or more compressible bags, but the modularity of the GI bag for the price makes it a great value to me.  And although weight/size is less of a concern when trecking overland and ice with a toboggan, some of the big cheaper bags are simply too big and heavy for me personally.  The GI weighs about 10lbs and compresses quite well.

The last reason I chose that bag was that if I were forced to hole up overnight without pitching our tent, I felt that the design was better suited for that use than a simple nylon/down bag (even though it might have greater R value).

ETA:  I am 6'1" and 280 lbs with broad shoulders.  I am the absolute limit on the size that can fit in the GI bag, as zipping it up around my shoulders is a bit of a challenge.  Height was fine.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone found a source for the tall MSS's?  I would like to get one but at 6'5" the ones I see for sale are all too short. I know there are tall ones made but I haven't ever seen them for sale.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I have seen them on amazon but they come and go.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Has anyone found a source for the tall MSS's?  I would like to get one but at 6'5" the ones I see for sale are all too short. I know there are tall ones made but I haven't ever seen them for sale.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat at 6'5" 260lbs and have been on the lookout for a couple months for a long version of the MSS.  The best advice I've read is to be vigilant on eBay and buy each piece as it becomes available until a complete set can be put together. On a lucky night last week I was able to get a long ACU patrolman bag and a black long intermediate bag. The goretex bivy is long enough in regular,  so I'll buy one if I want one at a later time. Last I checked there was still a  patrolman long bag listed.

Good luck.  If you find a complete set,  I'd appreciate a heads up too.

Edit: posting got me thinking about checking eBay again.  Intermediate bag is on sale now eBay item number 221865170337.  Looks like 10 available.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a taller guy with broad shoulders and I can't fit comfortably in a mummy bag.  The key measurement, if you have broad shoulders, is the shoulder circumference.  Most bags are between 60-63 inches and mummy bags are mostly within those size ranges.  I have spent hours and money trying to find a good bag with a larger shoulder measurement and it is a struggle.  I bought a Western mountaineering bag (ponderosa) due to its shoulder measurements.  It is still tight on the shoulders but the most comfortable bag i found.  To make matters worse, I'm a side sleeper so I need as much room as possible.  I should have saved more for there biggest bag much is 70 inches if I remember correctly and almost $300 more.  Budget and big usually are on opposite sides of the spectrum.  Especially, if you want a lightweight bag.

I looked at custom down blankets for camping and would consider this a option for any big guy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Wiggys aren't light or small when packed but they also aren't expensive and are warm as hell.  And over built as well.

A good ground pad is more important for staying warm.  I use an exped synmat7, in temps below zero, to good effect.

Edit:  wiggys work well for big guys.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wiggys aren't light or small when packed but they also aren't expensive and are warm as hell.  And over built as well.

A good ground pad is more important for staying warm.  I use an exped synmat7, in temps below zero, to good effect.

Edit:  wiggys work well for big guys.
View Quote

I looked at the wiggy's modular system,  in fact I have it in my cart on his site.  With the current promotion of getting free pack boots and selling the extras,  I thought I might get the 2 bad system down to $225 if I bought 2 system and sold 3 of the 5 free pairs of boots. Ultimately,  I went the cheaper route and it will probably be just fine.... I hope.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat at 6'5" 260lbs and have been on the lookout for a couple months for a long version of the MSS.  The best advice I've read is to be vigilant on eBay and buy each piece as it becomes available until a complete set can be put together. On a lucky night last week I was able to get a long ACU patrolman bag and a black long intermediate bag. The goretex bivy is long enough in regular,  so I'll buy one if I want one at a later time. Last I checked there was still a  patrolman long bag listed.

Edit: posting got me thinking about checking eBay again.  Intermediate bag is on sale now eBay item number 221865170337.  Looks like 10 available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. Got one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thank you. Got one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. Got one.

ACU patrolman bag is on sale now on eBay. Same vendor I bought from.  EBay number 261851991074.

Glad you snagged the intermediate  bag.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#21]
How do the Wiggys compare to the USGI?  Wiggys shop isn't far from me and my buddy swears by them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Tactical Distributors has the Kelty Mistral on sale for $69.99. Bag is rated down to -20F and weighs 6lb. 3oz. for the regular size.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Mountain Hardwear has a couple of bags that work for bigger guys (84" long, 71" shoulder girth).
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How do the Wiggys compare to the USGI?  Wiggys shop isn't far from me and my buddy swears by them.
View Quote

They don't compare, wiggys is much warmer.  I've picked up a few in Grand Junction from the man himself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Wiggys gets a lot of crap thrown at them for a lot of things.. but I have one that I took backpacking (not a small backpacking sleeping bag.. even compressed it took up a quarter of my Kelty Redcloud 110)... BUT

But it rained the entire time.  My Marmot Limelite 3 tent was saturated.  The bottom of my sleeping bag was soaked, but I stayed dry and warm the entire time.  

There is an Equip 2 Endure video on Youtube where (Adam, I think?)  goes to bed wet in one and wakes up dry.  

Magic.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They don't compare, wiggys is much warmer.  I've picked up a few in Grand Junction from the man himself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was issued a variety of bags and could draw special equipment as required. Of all the bags I had available I used the Wiggy bag more often than any other in the artic.  Also those Joe Reddington Mukluks....those things are the shizzle.

For those of you that are ,mil (or LE I believe..) he offers a super discount.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was issued a variety of bags and could draw special equipment as required. Of all the bags I had available I used the Wiggy bag more often than any other in the artic.  Also those Joe Reddington Mukluks....those things are the shizzle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drew and PDM thanks for the responses.  Cold weather gear is a major concern of mine.  My friend that recommended Wiggys is a personal friend of the owner and said he could get me a good deal.  Not sure how good.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wiggys gets a lot of crap thrown at them for a lot of things.. but I have one that I took backpacking (not a small backpacking sleeping bag.. even compressed it took up a quarter of my Kelty Redcloud 110)... BUT

But it rained the entire time.  My Marmot Limelite 3 tent was saturated.  The bottom of my sleeping bag was soaked, but I stayed dry and warm the entire time.  

There is an Equip 2 Endure video on Youtube where (Adam, I think?)  goes to bed wet in one and wakes up dry.  

Magic.

View Quote

I'll have to take a look at that video, thanks. Besides food and the sleeping bag did you have room for anything else in your backpack?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I was so wrong.. It wasn't Equip to Endure... it was here.

Yes, I had a lot of room.

I carried a tarp, first aid, cooking stuff, 2 pillows (haha.. the Wiggys came with one and I have an inflatable Cacoon one... I use 2 pillows.. being a side sleeper I put one between my knees), Helinox chair, knife, saw, flashlight, tent, rain gear, some cold weather clothes, thermarest trail pro pad.. etc.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top