Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2015 10:57:45 PM EDT
Seems like almost every tent made has some sort of "look at my tent!"
color scheme. I just want something simple, subdued, and low key.
Ideally a coyote tan tent would be great. The only one that I can seem
to find for two people is the Eureka Down Range 2.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GUFRP2A/

However
I'm not really keen on the weight nor the tent style. I'm leaning
towards purchasing this one by Nemo, the Galaxi 2P in Earth Brown, which
looks great, but it's possibly smaller than I would prefer. Being able
to comfortably put two people in it with a bit of gear would be ideal,
but it looks like that might be a tall order with it. It's a very common
tent style that seems great though. I love the color and it packs small/light. I just don't know about the size with two adults though.
http://www.amazon.com/Nemo-Galaxi-Birch-Green-Footprint/dp/B00IOZV728/

REI,
Kelty, MSR, and Marmot all make similar style tents (they are all
practically clones) that also seem great (and slightly roomier), but I
am not quite as big a fan as the colors though they aren't terrible. Are
there any other options out there for a tent without "loud" fluorescent
colors?
MSR Elixir 3

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Elixir-Backpacking-Tent-Red/dp/B00GP12HPE/

Marmot Limelight 3p (replaced by the much brighter green Tungsten). Another great tent with a nice subdued color but I dunno how hot it might get in AZ. I'm sure it'd heat up fast on a summer morning, but would otherwise be my second pick.

http://www.amazon.com/Marmot-Limelight-Persons-Tent-Green/dp/B0058U6NOY/

Marmot Tungsten 3P (slightly updated Limelight 3)

http://www.rei.com/product/880108/marmot-tungsten-3p-tent

Kelty Trail Ridge 3

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Trail-Ridge-3-Tent/dp/B005F5L9E6/

REI Half Dome Plus 2

http://www.rei.com/product/878520/rei-half-dome-2-plus-tent

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#1]
How about starting with the tent you want and get a tan rain fly made? Either one cut to replace the factory one, or a looser one that just drapes?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How about starting with the tent you want and get a tan rain fly made? Either one cut to replace the factory one, or a looser one that just drapes?
View Quote
I thought about that, I just don't know how involved it would be or if I would be happy with the finished product seeing as though I have zero sewing skills and don't know a seamstress.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Kifaru Sawtooth.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Snug pak makes a few........and they are all tuff as hell  
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#5]
http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/snugpak_92890_the_bunker_tent_olive_1435770340000_1154443.jpg
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:34:05 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
I actually have been looking hard at that one too. Even asked them if they had plans to offer it in coyote tan since they offer a couple of other tents in coyote tan now. Alas they said no. I'm just worried it might be too hot in AZ. If it weren't for the heat concern in desert environments I'd seriously consider it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm...how handy are you? I was thinking you could design a tent to how you want it and then use silnylon or something in your choice of color. For a while, I had considered getting a GoLite Shangri-La 3 tent. Unfortunately, GoLite had to close up and GoHome, so that idea is out. I have seen instructions for building tipi/teepee style tents. The poles used could be simple trekking poles. The silnylon could have grommets sewn into it for the tent stakes and then a round piece with grommets sewn into it to be tied to the cover to make a floor to keep the bugs out. A three-four person tent could cost less than the one's pictured and be lighter in weight. Just another idea for you to think about
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#8]
What season are you planning on using this tent and budget? How big are you? I would get either a Kifaru Megatarp + annex for a versatile 4 season shelter (with a Ti stove), or Sawtooth for a dedicated season. Very light weight and minimal but pricey.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#9]
How about something like Seek Outside's Lil Bug Out Shelter?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What season are you planning on using this tent and budget? How big are you? I would get either a Kifaru Megatarp + annex for a versatile 4 season shelter (with a Ti stove), or Sawtooth for a dedicated season. Very light weight and minimal but pricey.
View Quote
I'm only 5'11" but I've got pretty wide shoulders. I think anything Kifaru is out of my price range ($300 max). I'm not so sure about the tipi style tents though. I know lots of people love them for their light weight, but I want a more traditional tent.
I was mostly hoping to find any tents that were similar to the ones I posted in this thread that had a rainfly that I would be ok with. Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Nemo tent though out of everything I've seen/found. I know it's a little heavier than the super ultra light weight tents since it's over 5.5 pounds but it's reasonably lightweight still and appears to pack decently small and comes with a footprint. The REI Half Dome Plus 2 in lucite/grey is a close second though. Not an my ideal color but it's still more subdued and is light for a full blown tent and is roomier than the Nemo.
After ronin72's suggestion though I'm also considering just getting the Marmot Tungsten 3p and then maybe later on down the road getting a local awning company to make me a custom rainfly for it. I'll have to investigate the cost of the material and work for that though. The Tungsten is heavier at 6.3 lbs but it also includes a footprint and even a gear loft. I'd be able to deal with the green rainfly until then I think. I might even just say screw it and come to accept it.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about something like Seek Outside's Lil Bug Out Shelter?
View Quote

Something like this is what I was talking about. You can customize one yourself for a lot less than they are asking. You will have a four season tent, with the ability to build a fire inside to stay warm/cook, if needed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I started a similar thread a few years ago with a less pc title.  I ended up with a eureka.  good luck.

non gay tent
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Mountain gear color sales cycles drive me crazy.....  For a awhile you can find earth tones and then they migrate to BRIGHT colors. Back and forth, back and forth over the years...

Anyway - Mountain Hard Wear still has a couple of tents with green flys (tan is almost impossible to find). I have Skyledge 2 DP - solid, well made, light, etc. My only complaint is it a little small inside but if you want light you can't have it both ways. Has a very ample vestibules though.

It comes with a stock footprint which allows you to Dry Pitch the tent. You can set up the rain fly / footprint first and then deploy the body under cover. I have done this a couple of times and it works well. Mostly we have just set up the fly only and use it that way

Weight Packed: 4 lb. 6 oz.
Weight Minimum: 3 lb. 9 oz.
Weight Pitch Light: 2 lb. 9 oz.

Sky Ledge

Check out their site - they have cheaper tents with green fly's and 3 man too.

Somebody's internet picture of a fly only setup - 2lb 9oz
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the Marmot Limelite 3P that you have a picture of (in the same hatch color).   I really like it.  I use it for my SO and  I to go backpacking and camping.  

Although I am sure there are other tents that have similar features... the ones I really like about this one are the dual vestibules (double doors to egress/ingress into each vestibule), included ground tarp and small gear loft.  

I like how the tent is designed to install the rain fly onto the ground cloth.  This allows you to ONLY use the rain fly as a cover or to set up the rain fly to allow setting up the tent underneath in the rain and yet stay dry.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been looking at the Tarptent Ultralights. They all seem pretty subdued, but I don't know what style you are after.

Missed the tan part. They might make 'em if you ask.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my marmot limelite 2p a lot. If it is going to be really hot you can just setup the ground cloth and the fly Instead of the whole tent. I have an orange body with the green fly. Had to order it after I realized that it stuck out like a sore thumb above tree line.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Go MSR or REI or go home....

I had a REI tent set up one night - woke up the next moring - had two inches of water all around the tent and we were bone dry!

of course YMMV

Red

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Rit dye the rain fly of whatever tent you want.  Duh.  ;)
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one very similar to the Eureka.  That style is based off the USMC Combat tent.  I can say with 100% confidence it will withstand and maintain integrity with 60mph winds and rain falling sideways.  Weathered a nasty storm in mine while in the Republic of Georgia.   They are big enough for two 6'0" 200lbs Marines and gear.   Although we would stash our packs under the rainfly at night.   I found one online surplus a few years ago and took it camping a few times.   Only real downside is the weight at 8lbs.  But that can be over come with your hiking buddy carrying tent and poles and you carrying rainfly and stakes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Intregal Designs MK1XL singlewall mtneering tent(OD green). Compact 28' living space/foot print combined w singlewall construction, means it'll go where many tents can't. Waterproof breathable fabric. Made to handle any weather in the world. Goes up/down from the inside via simple 2 pole wedge design. 5lbs with stakes and guy lines.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#21]
USMC?  Made  by Eureka.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Litefighter makes a two man tent. The Army issued me the one man version and its probably the nicest thing Uncle Sam has ever issued me directly. I will probably take a statement of charges and not turn it in whenever they ask for it back. Its almost identical to the MSR Hubba which is a great tent. I assume the two man is similar to the Hubba Hubba which would be MSR's equivalent. Comes in coyote and Multicam.

http://litefighter.com/product/litefighter-2-two-man-combat-tent/

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

USMC?  Made  by Eureka.
View Quote
That's the one in the first picture of my original post. It's also a little heavier I think.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Litefighter makes a two man tent. The Army issued me the one man version and its probably the nicest thing Uncle Sam has ever issued me directly. I will probably take a statement of charges and not turn it in whenever they ask for it back. Its almost identical to the MSR Hubba which is a great tent. I assume the two man is similar to the Hubba Hubba which would be MSR's equivalent. Comes in coyote and Multicam.

http://litefighter.com/product/litefighter-2-two-man-combat-tent/

http://litefighter.com/wp-content/uploads/20140418_litefighter-31.png

View Quote
Whoa whoa whoa. I missed this one somehow, which was what this thread was for. Thanks! I shall have to investigate further.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is still something I'm considering doing with some Tan or Taupe Rit dye using the REI Half Dome 2 plus. The lucite rain fly has a grey base color so if it takes the dye it should have good coloration.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's the one in the first picture of my original post. It's also a little heavier I think.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
USMC?  Made  by Eureka.

Doh!  Should have realized, sorry.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 5:40:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

USMC?  Made  by Eureka.

I'm sure it's an awesome tent. Just not sure about the 8+ pound weight.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#28]
The ol saying..."light, strong, cheap...pick 2"..applies here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is still something I'm considering doing with some Tan or Taupe Rit dye using the REI Half Dome 2 plus. The lucite rain fly has a grey base color so if it takes the dye it should have good coloration.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How well would the dye work with water repellent rain fly?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#30]
+1 for teh Half Dome 2+ tent.

I have one from the light gray/orange body, yellow rainfly phase.  despite it's color I love it.  Super easy setup, metal poles are strong and idiot proof.  The groudsheet can be used with just the fly to make a simple shelter.
I got the "+" version due to being 6'05".  I have ample room for the first time in a backpacking tent.  I can stretch out, lounge, and relax without rubbing my head or feet on the tent walls or soaking in condensation from contact.
The new models have some changes and now they are offering some subdued colors.
Great reviews from customers and backpacker magazine picks it regularly for their "best of" awards.  Not the lightest, but much lighter than comparable eureka models or anything .mil.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that seems like it would prevent the dye from adhering, but I read that supposedly it's possible. I just don't see much info about it out there. I don't think I'd harm the fly by soaking it in some moderately warm water for a while. I wouldn't want to use near boiling water.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
+1 for teh Half Dome 2+ tent.

...... The groudsheet can be used with just the fly to make a simple shelter.
I.....
View Quote

That is a good way to go.

Last couple of years I have climbing with my boys and we have doing the Fly Only setup using a 2 man tent for 3 guys. It's a little tight but we are family. (I'm push'n 60, their both 20 - twins -  need to teach them while I can)

Basic setup: Nylon ground cloth, tent fly and footprint and each carriers a space blanket to cover the gaps if it rains. The last trip we were rained on 5 out f 7 days and we stayed dry.

Packs form a wind break at your head and give a little psychological protection from Mr Bear.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
USMC?  Made  by Eureka.

It is an awesome tent but the weight sucks.

I would NEVER consider humping one in a pack.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I dunno how I missed this one below. The color isn't what I would call optimal (though I can live with it), but it looks like a phenomenal tent although a bit more expensive than some of the others at $300 (and doesn't come with a footprint, but I'll just get a tarp). Having a hard time choosing between the Nemo 2P, REI Half Dome 2+, and the Kelty TN3. It has excellent reviews, is only 5 pounds (great for a sturdy 3 person tent), very comfortably fits 2 people since it's a "3 person" tent, and packs very small and practical into a cube/box shaped pack.
Kelty TN3 3 person 3 season
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6KUR7Y/

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#35]
After finding out Rit now has a polyester compatible dye, I went ahead and got the Marmot Tungsten 3P in that light green color and some light brown Rit Dyemore sand stone (light brown) dye. The Marmot seemed to be the perfect mix of features, size, weight, and price but a fairly off putting color. I don't expect it to dye perfectly, but if I can darken/brown the green even a little bit, it'll be tolerable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Hilleberg: The bank account emptier. Available in dark green or brown.

http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/products/black-label/saivo/saivo.php
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
After finding out Rit now has a polyester compatible dye, I went ahead and got the Marmot Tungsten 3P in that light green color and some light brown Rit Dyemore sand stone (light brown) dye. The Marmot seemed to be the perfect mix of features, size, weight, and price but a fairly off putting color. I don't expect it to dye perfectly, but if I can darken/brown the green even a little bit, it'll be tolerable.
View Quote

We need pics when you're done
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Well I left it in a warm water Rit Dyemore dye bath over night in a bathtub filled with hot water to help keep the bucket warm. The bath water was still 90° this morning. However, the dye doesn't seem to have had any effect on the natural color. If the color changed at all, it's so minor I can't tell after rinsing the whole thing off. Guess I've got a green tent. I sent a message to a local tent/awning company to see if they'd make a custom one just to get an idea on price. Their webpage says they make hunting tents, frame tents, teepees, etc so they would undoubtedly be able to do it, it's just a matter of money.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#39]
The Eureka Downrange is based on the tent they make for the US Marines (Marine Corp combat tent) and they are pretty stout tents. I have an earlier model called the Assault Outfitter 2 which I've used during hunting season for several years. Both are very nice tents and will last and give you years of use.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Use darker dye...a light tan on a light green ain't gonna do Jack and with repellents even harder.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top