Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2015 8:39:45 PM EDT
i want one.. recommendations please.. sizes, cups to go with.. etc..etc... GO!  

thanks in advance!!

btw: this will be going in my outdoor pack
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have always intended to buy a
couple of the Kleen Kanteen's.

They have a wide mouth with
the Nalgene threads. I want
them so I can use them directly
on my Mini Works, but still have
the option to cook or boil in them.

John
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a wide mouth one.

Otherwise, they seem to be pretty much the same.  Avoid painted surfaces.

I have about 10 that I cycle through at work.

In my kit, I have a chain and one of those expandable drywall clips that takes a bolt rod to stick inside and hold it in a fire.  (To remove, just unscrew and dump it out.)

They are pretty tough.

Dollar stores and walgreens and such have them on sale from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Nalgene 32oz. or 36oz. stainless.  These gave the wide removable caps.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#5]
For keeping items cold or hot the best bottle is the Hydro Flask.  Mine keep ice in a solid state even after 24 hours of being in Az summer temps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X55NEG/ref=twister_B00GA03LG4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I like my hydro flask.  But i need it to keep water cold.  So its vaccum insulation works well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

wow.. not sure how i missed this.. but thanks.. exactly what i was looking for!  i had a Blackthorn 32oz in my cart with the Olicamp cup to go.. but.. will double check now!  thanks alot for the info guys!  btw. i have the old GI style canteens w/cups.. but looking to upgrade!

much appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For keeping items cold or hot the best bottle is the Hydro Flask.  Mine keep ice in a solid state even after 24 hours of being in Az summer temps.

http://hydroflask.s3.amazonaws.com/media/images/hydro-flask-spec-chart-wff-2014.jpeg

View Quote

Get a hydro Flask and never look back.  They rock!!  I put ice in one at 0730 and took it woth me into 90 + degree heat.  at 1400, it still had ice in it when I added water to it.  On a daily basis, I use one for my coffee "thermos".  I fill it at 0630.  My 1430 pour is still steaming hot.  I've sold more than one of my coworkers on Hydro Flasks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have several hydro flasks. And they really do work well. You can get one in stainless (not painted) but they are double lined. Won't work too well for using over a fire.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have several hydro flasks. And they really do work well. You can get one in stainless (not painted) but they are double lined. Won't work too well for using over a fire.
View Quote

thanks for the tip on the fire.. that is what i'm looking for.  i bought the Blackthorn 32oz with the Olicamp cup to go.. so. we'll see how this checks out.  won't be my last one though.. i will add a couple more to the list!
thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Black barbeque paint around the base makes it easier to clean off soot and sap if you use it for boiling water.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Kleen Kanteen - I have two. the 20oz insulated and 27oz non-insulated with the optional drinking cap, since my insulated one pulls duty as a coffee mug. Bought them at REI.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#14]

i like this setup!  looks as though the price has come down some since this vid was posted.  will definitely look into this for my next purchase!  
thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Man I really do love them but compared to plastic Nalgene's, they really aren't practical you know?
View Quote

Nalgenes are great if you just need to hold some water.  If you want it to stay cold or hot or not stink after a few uses Nalgenes fail.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Man I really do love them but compared to plastic Nalgene's, they really aren't practical you know?
View Quote

TJ, maybe you need to explain this post.  To me it doesn't make any sense.

As a simple vessel to hold water, a SS bottle is superior to a Nalgene in durability and taste, equal in all other respects.

Beyond that, a SS bottle can be used to boil water, which is a MAJOR advantage.  With that ability alone, it renders the old plastic Nalgene a poor choice for your bag.

Last little note, Nalgenes have been mostly phased out by the hiking community as well.  Assuming you have filtration or trust your source, a Nalgene is simply an expensive and heavy alternative to the free plastic bottle that comes with any commercial drinks like Dasani or Gatorade.  Thru hikers do not carry a Nalgene, rather just buy a couple Gatorades when in town/restocking, drink the Gatorades (fiends for calories), and then use the bottles for water until the next restock.

OK, another little note.  This is obvious, unless it isn't.  Don't try to boil water in a double-walled (the "insulated") stainless bottles.  Only use single wall stainless for boiling.

The Klean Kanteen 40oz is an excellent choice.  The 27 is great for a smaller option.  The Nalgene SS model is gaining a lot of followers as well because the nesting GSI SS mugs work with it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an an 18 oz hydroflask which is great if you need it to be insulated.

I also have a Guyot Desings bottle. This is the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-32-Ounce-Mug-18-10-Backpacker-Drink-Thermos-Tumbler-New-/131164436801?hash=item1e8a027941

I really like it cause it holds a quart of water an still fits in cup holders unlike nalgenes.

Edit: Both of these also use the same lids as nalgene so they are compatible with nalgene stuff.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
SNIP

You can't see through them so as a measuring bottle they suck.  Usual sizes are not the same as Naglenes so they don't hold as much.  Same typical sizes are not wide mouthed so other than fluid, that's about it for their use.  

Whoever thought of turning a fuel bottle into a drinking bottle was a marketing genius but that's about it.  The only thing they have going for them is their "neat" factor.  I have them different colors even OD green insulation covers and even have "Doctor Who" one, but I'm not in grade school anymore.  When its SHTF, I won't be grabbing my neat stainless bottle but my two Naglenes, their over the bottom cups, and my collapsible bladders that the stainless bottles don't screw into.  .  

SNIP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nalgenes are great if you just need to hold some water.  If you want it to stay cold or hot or not stink after a few uses Nalgenes fail.

SNIP

You can't see through them so as a measuring bottle they suck.  Usual sizes are not the same as Naglenes so they don't hold as much.  Same typical sizes are not wide mouthed so other than fluid, that's about it for their use.  

Whoever thought of turning a fuel bottle into a drinking bottle was a marketing genius but that's about it.  The only thing they have going for them is their "neat" factor.  I have them different colors even OD green insulation covers and even have "Doctor Who" one, but I'm not in grade school anymore.  When its SHTF, I won't be grabbing my neat stainless bottle but my two Naglenes, their over the bottom cups, and my collapsible bladders that the stainless bottles don't screw into.  .  

SNIP

TJ I think most of us are talking about the wide-mouthed SS bottles.  

You may be talking about the older bottles that are like fuel bottles, but I thought those were all aluminum, not SS.  If you're talking about anything with a paint, coating, or lining, then we are not talking about the same thing.

Buy the way, this new Nalgene is the old Guyot that is so popular with everyone.  Truly, superior in every way to a plastic Nalgene.  Even at the lunch table at work.

ETA:  This has the same exterior dimensions as a plastic 32oz Nalgene, but holds 38oz.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#21]
well... got the Blackthorn in today.. i like it.. BUT.. it doesn't have the lip around the neck where threaded like i thought.. my fault.. so.. here's where i'm at.  i could return it..and buy the Nalgene.. or. i could a add D-Ring and fasten a lil picture wire to it for hanging and such.. my concern is leakage.  has anyone else added D-Rings to any of their bottles..if so.. did you just pop a hole and screw it in with nut on the inside?  i can get it up high enough above the contour and just under the threads that the lid will close as supposed to and will not interfere with the hanging wire.. am i gtg here.. advice..suggestions.  thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

well... got the Blackthorn in today.. i like it.. BUT.. it doesn't have the lip around the neck where threaded like i thought.. my fault.. so.. here's where i'm at.  i could return it..and buy the Nalgene.. or. i could a add D-Ring and fasten a lil picture wire to it for hanging and such.. my concern is leakage.  has anyone else added D-Rings to any of their bottles..if so.. did you just pop a hole and screw it in with nut on the inside?  i can get it up high enough above the contour and just under the threads that the lid will close as supposed to and will not interfere with the hanging wire.. am i gtg here.. advice..suggestions.  thanks!
View Quote

Just to hang the bottle over the fire?

Fish mouth spreader:   http://www.amazon.com/Baker-Mouth-Spreader-Fishing-6-Inch/dp/B0000AV13K/ref=pd_sim_468_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XNVQ52CS6R1FT854XG8

Or, in the bushcraft world you just use a stick toggle turned sideways, tied to some cordage. Make sense?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://www.survivalresources.com/Images/products/StainlessSteelBottleHangerWithBottles.ForSite2.jpg

http://www.survivalresources.com/Images/products/StainlessSteelBottleHangerInHand.ForSite.jpg

Fish mouth spreader:   http://www.amazon.com/Baker-Mouth-Spreader-Fishing-6-Inch/dp/B0000AV13K/ref=pd_sim_468_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XNVQ52CS6R1FT854XG8

Or, in the bushcraft world you just use a stick toggle turned sideways, tied to some cordage. Make sense?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.survivalresources.com/Images/products/StainlessSteelBottleHangerWithBottles.ForSite2.jpg

http://www.survivalresources.com/Images/products/StainlessSteelBottleHangerInHand.ForSite.jpg

Yep.. gotcha!!  i remember seeing these as well.. just thought the Blackthorn had the metal lip around the ring as well..which woulda made this a no brainer!!  thanks man!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Hydro Flask in 40 oz size
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the Pathfinder version shown above and really like it.  The fish mouth spreader/hanger thing is a great idea, just don't store it in the bottle as it is quite loud.  Get it with their canteen cup that has the measurements and it's a great little package you can do a lot with.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Black Exhaust Header paint from your local hot-rod or auto store will stay on even after being assaulted by direct flame, and as mentioned, speed things up when heating the bottle.  MAKE SURE to unscrew the cap before heating the bottle!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black barbeque paint around the base makes it easier to clean off soot and sap if you use it for boiling water.

Black Exhaust Header paint from your local hot-rod or auto store will stay on even after being assaulted by direct flame, and as mentioned, speed things up when heating the bottle.  MAKE SURE to unscrew the cap before heating the bottle!

With ceramic?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#29]
In all honesty I have to go with TJ on this one.  A Nalgene + (PLUS) SS nesting cup > single SS bottle.  JMHO.

I have used all different kinds of bottles, and used them hard, for months on end in wilderness and EDC settings.

I currently choose a regular Nalgene and OliCamp SS nesting cup.

I am not saying SS bottles are bad, I have many, to many actually.  I am saying having a cup + see through regular Nalgene far surpasses the utility of a single bottle. (for a combined every day/ wilderness use.)

If you want to go for a SS nesting cup and SS bottle then that's another debate.  I prefer the see through factor of the Nalgene.

Short of an E&E or extended "camping" situation, the chances of me needing to boil water (or even purify it through a filter) to survive is just about nil.

---

Preparedness starts at the ability to move ones body, and I can hike a dozen miles a day in my AO without much effort.  I don't know anywhere wilderness wise, in the USA North east that would have you in solid wilderness for 12 miles unless you are horribly unlucky...  IF your unlucky and can figure out the sun rises in the east and sets in the west then you should find a road or major river the second day!    

---

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/670851_Water_bottles_and_containers__what_s_good_for_EDC_and_Outdoor_activities_.html

---

I wish I could quote my last post in that archived thread...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#30]
The point of using a SS bottle is that in cold weather, when the water freezes inside you can thaw it out.. Plastic bottle, you out of luck..
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Get a hydro Flask and never look back.  They rock!!  I put ice in one at 0730 and took it woth me into 90 + degree heat.  at 1400, it still had ice in it when I added water to it.  On a daily basis, I use one for my coffee "thermos".  I fill it at 0630.  My 1430 pour is still steaming hot.  I've sold more than one of my coworkers on Hydro Flasks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://hydroflask.s3.amazonaws.com/media/images/hydro-flask-spec-chart-wff-2014.jpeg

Yep. I plan on these as stocking stuffers this year, a life straw fits perfectly inside a 40oz for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:13:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I got a hydroflask a couple days ago, it's freaking nice.  And mine says FNH USA on it
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:33:29 AM EDT
[#33]
The nice thing about the Guyot/Nalgene, a couple mods (1/8 hole both sides of rim, two split rings, and a 36" leader) and you can hang over a fire using a stainless fishing leader. (carry an extra leader to "noose" around the bottle bottom to use to pour when still hot)

I paired mine up with a Snow Peak mini solo kit (bid site steal priced) and it nests perfectly inside a Max 12x5 or County Comm Hydrant (the later also holding sleepingbag and fire kit.)
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#34]

The 32oz pathfinder kit is some of my most prized outdoor gear.  

I understand the argument of weight of stainless versus plastic.  To me it's going to come down to a persons preferences.  I drink a lot of water when I'm out and about.  I really like knowing that even though it's highly unlikely I could boil water to purify it if needed.  I also like to know that the stainless material won't break as easily as a plastic bottle.  

Since buying the 32oz pathfinder kit I've bought about every size of stainless wide mouth bottle that kleen canteen makes except the 40 oz.  I bought the 64oz to make sure there's always some water in the family van.  Three little kids have taught me I should always have water and a towel to clean up messes.  One night last winter I left that 64oz container too full of water and when it froze it bulged out the bottom of the canteen.  Wasn't a big deal and all I did was let it melt, then gave the bulged part a whack with a rubber mallet and it was back to good as new, just looking a little used.  The 64 oz boils water almost as fast as a 32 oz will too.  That kind of shocked me.  In my truck right now is the 27oz wide mouth stainless kleen canteen and I like the smaller size for packing in a small backpack that fits under the seat and being a little lighter never hurts.  I experimented with an 18 oz stainless normal sized opening and for me that just isn't much water and I really prefer the wide mouth.  

If people want a plastic bottle there's nothing wrong with that, but for me I prefer the stainless and I've played around with the different sizes of kleen kanteens enough to be very happy with their products.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top