Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2015 12:03:40 PM EDT
Ok, so we've all seen Altoid tin survival kits,  and we have also seen Nalgene bottles filled with survival stuff.  Both homemade and off the shelf.  Both these concepts don't work for different reasons.  The Altoid tin,  well, there's just not enough room for a realistic kit.  People say, "Oh, well I'd have a canteen, and other stuff with me."  Yeah, well then you have room for a more robust kit.  Nalgene bottle filled with goodies,  What do you do with all the stuff after it's filled with water?  Pockets?  Sure but in practice would be cumbersome and awkward. Also the issue of carrying the bottle itself.

Here is my Mashup of the two concepts,  The Micro BOB.  Why? Already have a BOB and a GHB, and one for the wife, and a couple for the kids.  Well for me the MBOB fills a niche when those other bags are not practical. For example,  My Grandmother died recently, (save the condolences, she was 102.  We were not taken by surprise.) I had to travel out of state on short notice in a family members vehicle.  Having a small bag to throw in my luggage was a nice, ready to go option.  This can be worn on a belt or with a shoulder strap.  Everything fits nicely inside and provides the room for some comfort items.

Here is what I came up with,

It's a Maxpedition Nalgene bottle pouch, a gutted Otis kit pouch, and an Altoid tin.  The SS bottle is 18 oz. and the Otis pouch sits underneath the bottle.  Not seen in the picture is an extra hank of 550 cord I forgot to pull out of the outer pocket.  The plastic bag under the Cliff Bar has a poncho, emergency blanket, and a couple trash bags.  So this way you get useful Cover, cutting, cordage, container, and combustion in a Nalgene bottle size.

Contents of the Altoids tin.  Underneath is boo boo kit, and a Fresnel lens.

Inside the pill case is tinder and water purification.

Here as it rides in the Otis pouch, that can be worn on a belt for easy access.

Thanks for looking. Questions and comments are of course welcome.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Fail.   Altoid tin must be painted tactical flat black to work properly.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

And don't forget the damn ranger bands!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

Now wait a minute . A couple ranger bands really help in holding a maxed out tin closed, can be used to hold flat item on the outside of the tin, as well as having other uses. I'd rather use those (or a sandwich sized zip lock) than the Otis kit the OP is using.

Not a bash OP. I like your setup there. I think it's got merrit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I do have a ranger band in my wallet if that makes a difference.  ; )

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I like it a whole lot better than the silly little tin kits. Well done.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#6]
It packs up nice and small, here it is next to a #2 pencil

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff351/basp2005/20150803_120753_zpscq6al910.jpeg

Dude make a 550 necklace and wear it around your neck....damn that's low pro hsld shit.

:)

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#8]
NIce.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like it a whole lot better than the silly little tin kits. Well done.
View Quote

Yeah, this where a small PSK provides more value.  Several water bottle kits make the perfect combination...your setup looks great and when used in conjunction become more feasible than the actual pocket survival kit that gets dumped in the bottom of your pack or left at home.  No serious hikers, even day-hikers, would venture off with a water bottle.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#10]
i have a kit similar to this. I also have a altoid tin kit I've put together.   Just like a gun, the best survival kit you can have is the one that is with you at the time you need it.  Many of you are dedicated enough to carry a larger kit, even on a short hike.  I'm not. The altoid kit slips in your pocket, is better than nothing and could make a few hours or overnight in the woods more bearable.

My kit is simple: A freezer bag, a couple water purification tabs, a button compass, a thin signal whistle and mirror.  fire starting accessories,  a few band aids and a few other doo dads. No, I don't have a fishing kit or snare wire in mine.  

Pocket kits are also good as gifts to loved ones or friends. You can give them a  bigger fancy kit and it's likely not to get carried on what they perceive as a short little hike. . Altoid kits  are so small and light convenient there's no excuse not to carry one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
tag for later

something like this would be good for my Miata since storage space is very limited. I have a full sized backpack, sleeping, bag, USGI foam mat, etc in the suv full time but can't be doing that in a smaller car. Plus since I only drive the miata in the non snow months I wouldn't need many of the supplies I keep in the suv
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#12]
MBOB/MGHB = Better than nothing, but not even close to being sufficient.  A small backpack is just as easy to toss in a friends car and can hold a lot more essentials.  

I'm on the Tex-Mex border and a neighbor is a Border Patrol officer.  Saw him come home from work the other day with his field pack = pack looked like a military type but was about the size of a medium civilian backpack and he's only out in the boonies one day at a time.  Apparently he knows he needs more "stuff" than can fit in a micro-kit even for one day.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

MBOB/MGHB = Better than nothing, but not even close to being sufficient.  A small backpack is just as easy to toss in a friends car and can hold a lot more essentials.  

I'm on the Tex-Mex border and a neighbor is a Border Patrol officer.  Saw him come home from work the other day with his field pack = pack looked like a military type but was about the size of a medium civilian backpack and he's only out in the boonies one day at a time.  Apparently he knows he needs more "stuff" than can fit in a micro-kit even for one day.

View Quote

Well obviously Texas dessert survival is not what this is intended for. Knowing you are headed into a harsh environment you plan accordingly.     "A small backpack is just as easy to toss in a friends car"  Again, you miss the intent.  this is a kit you throw IN the small backpack, along with clothes, books, toiletries, etc.  That you would hypothetically carry around on a trip, say to the city on a day trip were more than one piece of luggage would be awkward and impractical.   Again, not the only option, just another tool in the box.  Get it?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I like it.

I would lose the Otis and add this:

And some coffee filters.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff351/basp2005/20150803_120753_zpscq6al910.jpeg

View Quote

For a second my brain was confused. LOL. All you need a strap with some other function to add to it/ maybe a paracord sling?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
A sawyer mini and a platypus instead of the aluminum bottle? If you're going to BO, then you need a source of drinking water, even if it's Michelle Rodriguez's pee pee...
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well obviously Texas dessert survival is not what this is intended for. Knowing you are headed into a harsh environment you plan accordingly.     "A small backpack is just as easy to toss in a friends car"  Again, you miss the intent.  this is a kit you throw IN the small backpack, along with clothes, books, toiletries, etc.  That you would hypothetically carry around on a trip, say to the city on a day trip were more than one piece of luggage would be awkward and impractical.   Again, not the only option, just another tool in the box.  Get it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do I "get it"?  Nope.  Makes no sense to me.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
For a second my brain was confused. LOL. All you need a strap with some other function to add to it/ maybe a paracord sling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Top pic, above the dollar bill, sling.  also has Maxpedition molle straps so you could strap it to something else or put it on a belt.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#20]
BRAVO.

Thanks OP, nice writeup.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]
So, small kits are stupid...  A bunch of small kits put together are not...  

If you put them all together and stuff them into a larger pouch essentially making a large mini kit, it forms an even better kit...  No kidding!?  

So with that mentality it isn't worth putting anything in your pockets because its not enough to make difference, so pretty much batman belt or go home?  

EDC or bust?!!  

9mm vs 45...   ak vs ar...   two is one, one is none...  

-TheDerrick06 -subscribed!  

ETA/

(just incase)  

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you put them all together and stuff them into a larger pouch essentially making a large mini kit, it forms an even better kit...  No kidding!?  

So with that mentality it isn't worth putting anything in your pockets because its not enough to make difference, so pretty much batman belt or go home?  

EDC or bust?!!  

ETA/

(just incase)  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=65032

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDC or bust?!!  

ETA/

(just incase)  

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Kits/WP_20150131_011_zpse48ae15f.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Kits/WP_20150131_013_zpscc20dcfc.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Kits/WP_20150131_014_zpsa5b131aa.jpg

How about a little info on the knife and sheath.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDC or bust?!!  

ETA/

(just incase)  

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Kits/WP_20150131_011_zpse48ae15f.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Kits/WP_20150131_013_zpscc20dcfc.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Kits/WP_20150131_014_zpsa5b131aa.jpg

Its a Chinese knock off of the CRKT Ritter...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cute-MINI-Full-Steel-Finger-Hole-Camping-Fishing-Claw-Pocket-Knife-k13-HJ-/321475512802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad96f09e2

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Funny, the knife in my kit is a Chinese knock off of a CRKT also,  the S.T.I.F.F.  K.I.S.S.  

It was old and not used for much and it fit.  I don't condone buying Chinese clones.  I try to buy American if possible.  : )

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EDC or bust?!!  

ETA/

(just incase)  

That candle would last less than an hour down here in the summer.  (Or spring or fall )
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice, I bought into the concept, however a tad larger.  I setup a Maxpedition Jumbo as a mini-kit.  Same idea, however you can add fullsize handgun and spare mags.  

Its really not so good as a man purse with gun but works very well for a on the go bag and grab and growl day hike bag.  It allows you to add a few things like First Aid, the multi-use trash bags, poncho, etc.

I do have a suggestion.  Though I really love your bottle, you can drop it, add a straw filter and collapsible cup.  Saves you some space and finding water shouldn't be that hard where you live.  Bottle water, you can keep in your vehicle then clip to your belt or the pack for that matter, keeping the empty when done.  If I didn't see it, please excuse me, but a EM blanket is a nice adder to a small kit.  Those things have a 1,000 uses other than sleeping from ground cloth to rain cover.  

All and all nice job.  I like it.    

Tj
View Quote

Do you have any photos of your kit by chance?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:35:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I like this concept. I have used east german ak pouches, gas mask bags, and submachine gun mag pouches for this purpose.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, I get it!
What I do is carry a key chain with my keys, a stainless pill container with a $100 bill in it, handcuff key, and a Juice Leatherman tool all on  it.  In addition I carry a 4" M16 folding knife and BIC lighter in my pocket.  Same idea but easier to carry all the time.  (Handcuff key is from my police days, and I carry my old cuffs in my vehicle for emergency restraint purposes.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top