Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2015 4:53:08 PM EDT
I've got one of Cabella's Visa cards and have about $1000 built up in reward dollars that I have to spend at Cabella's. I am just getting into my prepping, so I am leaning towards that type of gear. I already have your basic camping supplies like stoves and lanterns in two different fuel types. I like gardening, canning, hunting, meat processing, and anything that has to do with homesteading, and self reliance. A couple of items that I am considering so far is a pressure canner and a good meat grinder. One other thing that has been on my mind is working towards a one years food supply. I just want to stretch this as far as I can. Thanks ahead for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd suggest you watch this Wendy DeWitt video, especially before getting a pressure canner or vacuum sealer... it is long, but was worth it for me.. changed my direction and now I vacuum can in glass jars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLuIApyNPc
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks lasnyder, that was a good video. I ended up getting one of those All American Pressure canners, a couple of dutch ovens, a couple different size can cookers for steaming meals, a life straw with water bottle, and a Forster Co-Ax reloading press.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#3]
in the future, if you want to upgrade your water filtration, I'd recommend the family size Sawyer 5 gal bucket systems... I opted for the .1 micron filter, with the option of chlorinating for virus with pool shock or Clorox...

since photo, I've switched to the NaDCC shock... 1/2 a .22lr case full of 62% NaDCC in 5 gal tested to 3ppm chlorine (home shallow well water)... I would like to hear other independent test results

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top