Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2015 11:03:43 AM EDT
I've been trying to decide between the Marmot Precip, the North Face Venture, and the REI crestrail, leaning towards the latter two. Any experience with either of these?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Not for those 2, but I've used the 3rd choice(Precip) extensively during countless backpacking trips. Lots of which were off trail bushwacking, winter/snow trips, mountaineering, etc fwiw. Also used many other high end 3 ply GTX jackets. What I've found, its ALL of them after extended use with a pack, will eventually de-laminate at the seam taping at the shoulder/arm junctions. This takes a couple-few yrs of heavy use tho. The good news is, Marmot guarantees its stuff for life....no questions asked. I've had 3 Precips replaced since they came out back around 98-ish. Also a highend (was $425 in 98) Marmot 3 ply GTX. They've even replaced a $600 waterproof breathable singlewall mtneering tent yrs ago, when the proprietary menbraine failed to stop wind blown rain. I argued with them saying I bought it on sale for $400. They said don't argue, and that they guarantee their chit for full retail value, regardless of what I paid. So take the $600 credit (toward new gear). So I did. Great co. to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The North Face guarantees their stuff for life, but I'm sure something like that would constitute "wear and tear", which isn't covered if I remember right, depending on the situation.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Marmot Precip of those 3.

Also, Marmot makes full zip Precip rain pants to go with those.

If you can stretch your budget a little, REI Kimtah uses eVent which is one of the most breathable membranes.  It is on sale now for about $150 (normally about $250).

Also, sign up for Sierra Trading Post e-mails and like their Facebook page. You can get steals on nicer GoreTex shells if you watch the sales there and shop off one of their discount link e-mails.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got the Marmot Precip.  Great jacket.  First used it checking on the house during a hurricane.  Had it for two years, never had a problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Precip user here.  No complaints from me.  I think it's been three years or very intermittent use.  Mostly it ends up stuffed into a pocket, in the pack during hikes or day trips.  Good fit (6'05", 215lbs), hood does what it does.  Pit zips are a cool feature.

I picked mine up as a closeout on backcountry.com.   Also check Steep and Cheap as they get run there every so often.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as the "no questions asked" warranty I touched on above for Marmot... A friend that I was backpacking with in the Rocky mtn nat park back in 2000 was above treeline on the Longs Peak summit trail. A 2nd friend jumped chest first down a small snow field and then self arrested with his ice axe. Just messing around, really. Well, the first friend had put his crampons (12 1-inch long spikes) inside his TNF 3 ply GTX jacket, against his chest(with the spikes point outward) since he didn't have a place to put them(they were on a short day hike from camp at 11,000', and he didn't have a pack of any kind at this point). He forgot he had them there, and jumped chest first as well, and instantly "self arrested" when some of the spikes went thru his jacket. He called the TNF and asked if they'd warranty it. They did. Full retail credit.

I have both the ankle zip(9oz) and full zip(12oz)  Precip pants.In 02 I put an ice axe thru the leg while glissading down the mtn while above treeline for 6 days in the Indian Peaks wilderness. Had them sewn up. Still work well enough. These pics are from that exact descent.

Coming to a stop at the bottom. Did this several times on the way down.

Much better then when we climbed it. We camped at 11,600 for 2 nights. Thast me breaking trail. My bud (same guy as the jacket story above lol) post-holing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
So you're saying that both Marmot and TNF have excellent warranties?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you're saying that both Marmot and TNF have excellent warranties?
View Quote

Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top