Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2015 8:41:50 PM EDT
I want to buy a quality multitool.. not a flee market special.

I've always carried just a "regular" pocket knife, never a multitool.

I will probably also continue to carry an assisted opening knife.

Input? Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an original Leatherman that I gave my Dad back in 86/87.
A couple years after he passed I sent it to the company and they cleaned it up and sent it back.
Only cost me shipping to them.
It was under the 25 year warranty when he passed but over 25 when I sent it to them and that was what I told them on form I sent with.

I will be looking for a new sheath since the old one is overly worn.  I may just get some antique style finish and build my own using a scallop border punch for a fish scale pattern.

I do like the new ones that don't have to be opened to get the blade open.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Leatherman Charge TTi is quality, and has a pocket clip.  It is my preferred, between that, a Gerber 800, and a SOG power assist.
The Leatherman Charge has the best variety and access of tools, IMO.
The Gerber is an older design, so the only one-hand operation is the pliers. (and the knife isn't great)
The SOG has BY FAR the best pliers, and has two good blades.  Unfortunately, the other tools are packed in so tight, I have trouble getting to them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I edc a Leatherman Surge
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I EDC a Leatherman Juice S2.  Had it for 2 years now.  I really like it for pocket carry.  I do need to send it in to have the large flat head repaired. Its bent and the spring retainer thingmabob broke last week.  I'm also looking to upgrade to a full size Leatherman to keep in my pack.  Might get a TTi.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Must be SKELETOOL. Little brother bought it 4 me. He's a smart little 6'7" bitch.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
A Leatherman Wave has been part of my EDC for almost ten years now.  Only time its not been on my belt is when I am on a plane.  The Wave was one of the first models to have the blades open on the outside.  Its a very handy bit of kit, and while I would consider it a "medium" size multi tool it is still pretty heavy and a bit bulky.  I don't think I would want to EDC one any bigger.  It would be to large and heavy to be comfortable in my pocket.  A belt pouch is almost necessary until you get into the smaller tools.  The smaller you the less multi function you have and at that point I usually just go for a SAK.

I was looking at some of the other pocket clip Leatherman models lately, but even when I carry a knife, I don't like the bulk in my front pockets so I should probably just stick with my tried and true Wave.  Bit set rides in my EDC pack.

I have had various other multi tools but I keep coming back to the Wave.

I am thinking about trying something like the new Leatherman "Rev" kind of a sized down slimmer pocket tool vs the Wave.  Or maybe I will try a Wingman...  That would serve as my multi tool and pocket knife all in one.  (Backups stay in the Jeep or bag)
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I EDC a Leatherman Skeletool and absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I carried and liked a leather man wave until I found out the owner donated a couple of hundred grand to democrats. Leather man makes nice stuff but they won't get anymore of my money.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Around the holidays i got a gerber crucial for liken $16 from home Depot. Carries well in tge pocket and is a great basic tool for the price. At 20 or less its hard to beat if your not brand loyal to LM
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Leatherman Wave.  Politics be damned.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Skeletool.....not too big, not too small and I don't believe they are too expensive
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Do you want a multitool to fit in the pocket (with a clip) or a belt pouch?  I have a couple dozen different multitools, and the Victorinox Spirit multitool has the most useable tools for me and is one of the most size-efficient.  I like Leatherman, and for EDC, the Wingman and Sidekick (difference is scissors or wood saw blade) are excellent for their size and have the pocket clip.  These are actually the most used tools around the house as I can just slip them in the waist band or pocket.

A lot depends on what size/weight you’re willing to carry, what functions you really like and if you want a pocket or pouch carry.  For key-chain, pocket carry, I like Leatherman’s Squirt or Gerber’s Dime tools.  For belt pouch tools, I like the Leatherman Charge/Wave series, SOGs Powerlock and the Victorinox Swiss Tool.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#13]
The SwissTool Spirit is probably my favorite to have around.

But, for EDC the Leatherman Wingman is hard to beat.  The spring loaded pliers are excellent in everyday use.  I'm not a fan of Leatherman's politics though....
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you want a multitool to fit in the pocket (with a clip) or a belt pouch?  I have a couple dozen different multitools, and the Victorinox Spirit multitool has the most useable tools for me and is one of the most size-efficient.  I like Leatherman, and for EDC, the Wingman and Sidekick (difference is scissors or wood saw blade) are excellent for their size and have the pocket clip.  These are actually the most used tools around the house as I can just slip them in the waist band or pocket.

A lot depends on what size/weight you’re willing to carry, what functions you really like and if you want a pocket or pouch carry.  For key-chain, pocket carry, I like Leatherman’s Squirt or Gerber’s Dime tools.  For belt pouch tools, I like the Leatherman Charge/Wave series, SOGs Powerlock and the Victorinox Swiss Tool.  

ROCK6
View Quote

Leatherman Rev is on sale at Lowes for $19.99 each (not sure if its just my local store.)  Similar tool to the Wingman and Sidekick but sacrifices the secondary outside tool (scissors or saw) for a touch thinner profile.  It also has a plain edge blade which I wish the Wingman had.  I am going to give one of these a go and stick my wave in my bag for a while.  I also don't carry much for a pocket knife when I have a Leatherman on me so this will serve both rolls.  

Below is a good video comparing the three "entry level" full size Leatherman tools.  This is about as large as I would choose for pocket carry.  When talking quality the top  models like the Wave, and Surge are defiantly a "notch" or two above the more budget friendly Leatherman options.  I bet the same can be said for the Victorinox, I bet the fit and finish is exceptional (don't own one.)
Never owned a sog but from a quick handling that would be my third major brand choice with Gerber bringing up the pack.  I have owned a few Gerber multi tools and was never really impressed like I was by the original Leatherman tool or currently the Wave.  I guess the same can be said for Leathermans budget line.  I am going to give the Rev a several month run though.

Here is my trusty old Wave, going on 10 years of EDC and actual use.  I don't have all the old sheaths but I am on #4.

Oh and rock, I expect more pictures with your next post...
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh and rock, I expect more pictures with your next post...
View Quote

Showoff! I've been busy...

Actually, cool photos...it shows that a multitool is exactly that...well done!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Leatherman Charge TTi
or Wave
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey there!

Another vote for Leatherman!

I currently own 2 waves and a Charge TTI.

Essentially the Charge is the same as the Wave with a upgraded blade and handle scales. They both are spectacular tools. Fit and finish are second to none.

I EDC a Charge with the bit kit daily. I use the tool at least once per day, and if it's a day off from work I use it 3-10 times per day.

I prefer the Leatherman Nylon holster to carry mine, many use a lanyard or a pocket clip.

-dero1548
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#18]
EDC/Leatherman Wave

Maxpedition Carry/SOG Powerlock
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Leatherman Charge TTi
or Wave
View Quote

Ive kept a charge xti and bits on my radio belt for work for the last 12yr. Awsome tool but heavy if i was edc off duty.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ive kept a charge xti and bits on my radio belt for work for the last 12yr. Awsome tool but heavy if i was edc off duty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leatherman Charge TTi
or Wave

I edc the wave from day it came out till the charge came out and I feel naked without it.
Not to heavy for what you get.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the old Leatherman PST or PSTII for lighter weight EDC but, I keep Sog Power plier ones in the everyday go bag.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a Gerber Multiplier about 25 years ago and it is my basic EDC tool.  
I always felt the pliers that slide in and out are flimsy and would one day break.
So I bought a Leatherman Wave as a replacement that sits around the house waiting for the Gerber to finally fail.
Since I now have a backup at home, I beat the daylights out of the Multiplier and am definitely not babying it.
But the Gerber is still working and the Leatherman is still waiting for EDC someday.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This even thought I lost the flatheat bit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I usually wear a shirt and tie, and sometimes a jacket, so I dont wear it but my leatherman wave is usually in my backpack or 5.11 bag, depending on what im carrying.  Im not brand loyal and have had gerber and sog throughout the years. This wave just seems to always be there when I need it. Its been good to me.  I also carry an older swiss army knife champion in my bag and a small keychain model with my 2 office keys.

Cant go wrong if you get what you like.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been carrying the Leatherman Rebar since the beginning of the year and it have been very useful.

I like it because non removable tools so nothing to loose and everything locks, replaceable wire cutters is nice too.

You do have to open it to access any of the tools so I still carry a pocket knife for quick access.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I carried and liked a leather man wave until I found out the owner donated a couple of hundred grand to democrats. Leather man makes nice stuff but they won't get anymore of my money.
View Quote

This is true.  Leatherman gives money to democraps.  I'll never own another leatherman product.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is true.  Leatherman gives money to democraps.  I'll never own another leatherman product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You folks base everything you do and buy on a political agenda
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#28]
leatherman crunch
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes, I also lost the one bit.

Doesn't bother me much.  I don't carry it for the screw driver aspect.  Its a little heavier and bulkier than my knife that I usually carry but not too bad.  I will say the pliers jaws are sometimes a little too short and fat.  I want to pick up another letterman with a bit longer and skinnier jaws.  Don't waste your money on the carbon fiber version.  Thats what I got because it was on sale and cost the same as the normal version bit all it has is a small CF scale that IMHO has no real value to the tool other than looks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I have carried a Wave for the last couple years, it is about the best mix for having large enough tools on it to be worthwhile, and not too heavy.

I have mine set up to be a little fire kit.
Mag bar, mini bic, capsule has a couple tinder quiks stuffed in it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#31]
When I carry a multi tool it is in a pouch on a belt.  Gerber diesel with the little bit set is my favorite because it is my current one in the best working shape.

To some extent I did sit down once and play in the tool box.  A small pair of needle nose pliers don't take up much room.  I already carry a pocket knife no matter what.  A small screw driver or 1/4 inch ratchet and a bit for the screw driver bits does not take up much room.  I don't really use the wood saw and if you give me a bottle of beer with no can opener I generally will figure out some way to open it without breaking the bottle or spilling beer.  Yes the multi tool has other stuff, but I learned I can generally cram some real small tools into the pouch the mutli tool lives in and often have stuff that works equal or better to the multi tool.

I am also very bad about using pouches for multi tools to hold 1911 magazines.

Makes for an interesting discussion if someone sees the leatherman or gerber pouch.

I do want to try the swiss tool because I am very happy with my swiss army knife I have had for 3 or 4 decades now.  It gets carried a ton but used rarely and sometimes it fits in as a multi tool even though it does not have pliers of any sort.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I ended up going with the Leatherman Sidekick because I like the idea of having a pocket clip on it.

Excited for it to get here and work with it.

Ended up getting it through Cutlery Shoppe and they were great to work with. Called them after I made a mistake ordering it online. They took care of it immediately and said it would ship out same day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Leatherman Rev is on sale at Lowes for $19.99 each (not sure if its just my local store.)  Similar tool to the Wingman and Sidekick but sacrifices the secondary outside tool (scissors or saw) for a touch thinner profile.  It also has a plain edge blade which I wish the Wingman had.  I am going to give one of these a go and stick my wave in my bag for a while.  I also don't carry much for a pocket knife when I have a Leatherman on me so this will serve both rolls.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

Thanks for the advice, I picked up 2 at Lowes with 10% mil discount.  So far, appears to be a great little tool.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I ended up going with the Leatherman Sidekick because I like the idea of having a pocket clip on it.

Excited for it to get here and work with it.

Ended up getting it through Cutlery Shoppe and they were great to work with. Called them after I made a mistake ordering it online. They took care of it immediately and said it would ship out same day.
View Quote

This is actually a good choice.  I have both the Sidekick and Wingman.  For a general purpose pocket-tool, I like the saw on the Sidekick over the scissors on the Wingman.  The pocket clip is great and it carries well in my left pocket if I'm carrying a regular folding knife.  I like the simple features and size...reminiscent of the original Leatherman PST.  The spring loaded pliers head is another nice feature.  If I could replace anything, it would be the Philips screwdriver with a leather awl and add a slightly longer and possibly diamond-coated file than the nail file it comes with.  Still, if I need a multitool for the pocket, I'm grabbing the Sidekick.  If I have a belt pouch, it's my Swiss Spirit tool, often alongside the Leatherman Crunch.  The Sidekick is a good choice, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks, Rock6. It should be here Monday and I'll sure it will go everywhere with me. Definitely looked into the Sidekick, Wingman, and Rev all because of the pocket clip feature. I like to be able to get to those things quickly and not have to dig in my pockets for them amongst spare change, extra magazines, etc.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Right now, I carry a SAK SwissChamp and before that, the Leatherman SuperTool v.1, which I used for a good decade.

The SwissChamp does more, but isn't quite as robust as the ST v.1.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Gerber 600 with the regular hardened steel jaws not the inserts.

I have used leatherman, sog and Gerber. I still have my Gerber blunt nose I bought new in 1997 and it's still kicking ass. They don't make the regular blunt nose now only the needle nose but those are still very good beat the shit out of tools. They are relatively inexpensive if you shop around.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Gerber 600 with the regular hardened steel jaws not the inserts.

I have used leatherman, sog and Gerber. I still have my Gerber blunt nose I bought new in 1997 and it's still kicking ass. They don't make the regular blunt nose now only the needle nose but those are still very good beat the shit out of tools. They are relatively inexpensive if you shop around.
View Quote

I've got the original Gerber Tool as well going back to the mid 90s.  It has a habit of pinching my hand when I've used it the past, so it's my 'reloading bench' tool.  Blades are as sharp as heck and the square nose pliers offer a benefit in circumstances, that the needle nose doesn't.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Leatherman Wave.

1 handed blade opening.
The blades have liner locks.
The blades have a lock that keep them from opening when using it as a plier.
The screwdrivers ,scissors etc. on the inside have lock backs.

The main thing I don't like about them is the sheaths. The Velcro seems to wear out and not grab for long and they don't seem to fit really well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Leatherman Wave.

1 handed blade opening.

The main thing I don't like about them is the sheaths. The Velcro seems to wear out and not grab for long and they don't seem to fit really well.
View Quote

I choose the leather sheaths for that very reason.  I can get about two years from one of their leather ones.  Can be had for like 6$ or 7$ on ebay (including shipping.)
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I choose the leather sheaths for that very reason.  I can get about two years from one of their leather ones.  Can be had for like 6$ or 7$ on ebay (including shipping.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leatherman Wave.

1 handed blade opening.

I have the optional Pocket Clip and carry one daily like that and also a kydex snap in sheath.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I've EDC this Skeletool and light going on 3 years now. Good investment.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what multitool do you buy/recommend instead?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#45]
O
Quoted:

I have the optional Pocket Clip and carry one daily like that and also a kydex snap in sheath.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leatherman Wave.

1 handed blade opening.

If I didn't have a regular knife on the pocket clip I'd think about that. I tried the leather sheath for a while, but lost my leatherman (not the sheaths fault) and have just been using the nylon one that came with the new one since. I'm thinking about buying a HSGI pistol taco for EDC. Probably just go back to the leather one.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
O

If I didn't have a regular knife on the pocket clip I'd think about that. I tried the leather sheath for a while, but lost my leatherman (not the sheaths fault) and have just been using the nylon one that came with the new one since. I'm thinking about buying a HSGI pistol taco for EDC. Probably just go back to the leather one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
O
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leatherman Wave.

1 handed blade opening.

I have used a couple of their different sheaths but recommend this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-Premium-Leather-Nylon-Sheath-4-931016-for-Wave-Sidekick-/311375770675?hash=item487f713433

I just picked the lowest cost seller on ebay...  $7.

On a side note I have been carrying the Leatherman Rev via pocket clip for the past week or two and so far I like it.  Obviously not the quality of the wave, but it is lighter, and being lighter I don't mind having it in my pocket vs having a sheath on my belt.  Its a nice changeup and I plan to stick with this Rev for a couple months to see how it works out, but nothing replaces the utility and quality of the Wave.  

While I do like the larger tools, I feel if I need something larger, more robust, or heavier then the Wave I am just going o seek out dedicated tools to complete the job at hand.

Now when comparing the lower cost Leatherman options to the higher cost ones, the big difference I see is the tool locking, and tensioning methods.  A cheaper model like the Rev uses the pivot screw friction for opening and closing all the tools, where the wave has spring loaded guides and locks.  The fit finish and function is noticeable to me and I am sure represents the cost difference.  With that said I don't mind the simplicity, yet usefulness of the lower cost models.

JMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top