Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2015 11:12:55 AM EDT
Last night one of the naked crazies on the program had a strange looking tool.  He was using it like a machete or small axe, but it was shaped like an open rectangle with a handle.  Anybody know what it was, and what it's called?  This was on the 12 person special event in the jungle where it was 106 degrees.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I know what you are talking about. Shorter and heavy.

I took something similar to Panama. But all the locals, and me too for that matter, use the $4.50 cheap machetes sharpened with a file to a knife edge. With these we cut down trees up to 8", clear the toughest brush with ease and even trim the grass. Plus I have never seen one break. No more fancy Machetes for me, Just a handful of the $5 ones made in Guatemala. I never knew their usefulness until I started using one daily.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Like this?

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Haven't seen the show, but woodmans pal maybe?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I took something similar to Panama. But all the locals, and me too for that matter, use the $4.50 cheap machetes sharpened with a file to a knife edge. With these we cut down trees up to 8", clear the toughest brush with ease and even trim the grass. Plus I have never seen one break. No more fancy Machetes for me, Just a handful of the $5 ones made in Guatemala. I never knew their usefulness until I started using one daily.
View Quote

I agree about machetes.  But was just wondering what the tool I saw was and what all it is supposed to be good for.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]
So, you are checking out the tools on Naked and Afraid are you.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Haven't seen the show, but woodmans pal maybe?
View Quote

I know what those Pals are and this was nothing like that.

The "Naked & Afraid" reality TV show is about two people (usually a man and a woman who don't know each other) having to survive in a remote wilderness/jungle/desert for 21 days both totally naked with only one item each in their possession.  No clothes, no shoes, no food, no water, nothing but the one item each chooses to carry,  typically a cutting tool and a fire starter.  All survivalists should watch it for a reality check.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Have not seen the show, but from your description maybe a TOPS ATAX or a Cold Steel Survival Shovel?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
A tv unreality show, is no place to check anything.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I bet the OP is talking about that tool the ninja made for the show.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you talking bout the ninja guy? IIRC He makes or has made some goofy (not a knife, not a tomahawk, not an axe) custom tool.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I bet the OP is talking about that tool the ninja made for the show.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Where did op go?

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#14]
He got square axed
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]
He disappeared when he realized that people were going to offer him advice on knives he didn't care about when all he wanted to know was what the knife was called and what other functions it might serve to justify it's design.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree about machetes.  But was just wondering what the tool I saw was and what all it is supposed to be good for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking cool, of course.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#17]

This isn't the exact same tool or guy but it is similar.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A tv unreality show, is no place to check anything.
View Quote

Normally I'd say you were right.  But this show highlights what is really needed for the unprepared to survive in harsh environments.  #1 is  water = a big pot & reliable firestarter are essential.  #2 is a shelter from rain, cold, heat, insects, etc.  #3 is food.  #4 is footwear.  21 days doesn't sound like much, but many contestants don't make it.  Some are sick and helpless in 1-4 days, mostly from drinking bad water or not drinking any water.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:52:01 AM EDT
[#19]
just pick up a sugar cane machete/knife
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top