Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2015 9:24:41 PM EDT
I'm looking to print some custom sat maps for my GHB at the local print shop but I can't figure out the best way to get high res images saved from anywhere without paying a ton.

I work 50 miles from home and will have to traverse a lot of urban space.  I'm familiar with the routes home, but have high detail maps for each leg would be really handy.  I'm going to print several small 11x17 maps that overlap a bit and show maybe 5-6 miles on the width max.  I could buy these custom maps but it would break the bank and I'd get fewer with less detail to cover the same area.

I realize this might not be the best place to ask, but I don't know where else to.  Mods, feel free to move this thread if needed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Mytopo.com

Custom maps of anywhere & can be printed on waterproof paper.

This comes up lots and I know there's some other options but this one's my favorite.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have access to ArcGIS and some free time. PM me the route you want to take and I'll see what I can do.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have access to ArcGIS and some free time. PM me the route you want to take and I'll see what I can do.
View Quote
Your awesome, PM sent.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Ill second Mytopo. they do some nice work and their map has survived several years of repeated storage and use
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:48:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for mytopo. The laminated maps with usgs grids can get pricey fast. If you have access to an open top copier or scanner, you can get away with regular paper maps, but just beginning printer paper sections with you to the field.

Most of the time the regular forest service maps do just fine for me. I do my hunting scouting on Google earth ahead of time, plug everything into my GPS, then use the first service maps for road reference.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
caltopo.com is pretty nice
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll give another +1 for mytopo.com.  Great maps, easy web page, priced right, and quick shipping.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Mytopo is the bank breaker I was referring to.  I'm going to need 16 maps at $30 each.  Another $30 to waterproof.  that's a lot of cash.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Google earth with a USGS overlay .kml and a laserjet printer should be pretty good. You have to fuck with it to get sizing right if you plan to use any survey tools on 8.5x11" paper, but if you just need maps you can use in conjunction with a USGS GPS unit, it's awesome.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#10]
By 'satellite maps', do you mean topo maps or satellite images? I simply use google earth, on waterproof paper from www.riteintherain.com or similar.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I have used Google Map Downloader to create a custom GeoTiff.  http://www.allallsoft.com/gmd/

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Massive props to Landsat8, he just hooked me up.  33 map sets (terrain and sat) that cover my entire route home.  He did them at 1/4" = 100 yards.  Very nice detail, roads and in a hasty defense they can double as range cards.  I can accurately estimate range to a target in seconds, down to about 25 yard accuracy with a ruler. I'm going to take my range finder out and see how close I can guess without measuring.

11x17 size means I can carry them all in a small tube on my GHB.  I do have a larger overall map to use also, but when I need better detail I'll have easy access.

Very impressed. I plan to blow up the ones closet to home to double size (ansi D) and use them for part of my plan there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm looking to print some custom sat maps for my GHB at the local print shop but I can't figure out the best way to get high res images saved from anywhere without paying a ton.

I work 50 miles from home and will have to traverse a lot of urban space.  I'm familiar with the routes home, but have high detail maps for each leg would be really handy.  I'm going to print several small 11x17 maps that overlap a bit and show maybe 5-6 miles on the width max.  I could buy these custom maps but it would break the bank and I'd get fewer with less detail to cover the same area.

I realize this might not be the best place to ask, but I don't know where else to.  Mods, feel free to move this thread if needed.

View Quote

You said URBAN space there....might I suggest local city maps to add to your base?  In addition, you might consider getting a gps that allows downloads of maps...you can then have gps (if it's working) or use it as an electronic map if needed too. 2 is 1, 1 is none..but 3 might work out ok.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several local and city maps already, this is to add some detail past just the streets and such.  Trying to make it easier to see a clear path.

A good GPS is on my list, but way down.  I was great with land nav in the Marine Corps, so it's my first priority.  If you have ever been to the Salt Lake valley and around, it's pretty hard to get lost, the mountains make it easy to shoot your location with a compass.  I don't start to struggle unit I hit Idaho.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Along the same lines. There was a vendor that has some very tough waterproof paper there. I am not affiliated (other than buying some).
They called it Prepper paper their web site is Prepperpaper.com. I have not used it as I was not sure how to get the route printed out (this thread should help).
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Massive props to Landsat8, he just hooked me up.  33 map sets (terrain and sat) that cover my entire route home.  He did them at 1/4" = 100 yards.  Very nice detail, roads and in a hasty defense they can double as range cards.  I can accurately estimate range to a target in seconds, down to about 25 yard accuracy with a ruler. I'm going to take my range finder out and see how close I can guess without measuring.

11x17 size means I can carry them all in a small tube on my GHB.  I do have a larger overall map to use also, but when I need better detail I'll have easy access.

Very impressed. I plan to blow up the ones closet to home to double size (ansi D) and use them for part of my plan there.
View Quote

If you want I can scale them up so they print on a larger piece of paper; that way the scale measurement stays the same. If you just blow them up 1in will not = 400 meters.

Here are some representative maps of what I made up for lcpl1812.... wouldn't want to blow OPSEC and give away his route so they are of a different area.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Holy Smokes Landsat. Those are nice.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Holy Smokes Landsat. Those are nice.
View Quote
Small enough to be discreet,  but enough detail to be very useful.  I'm impressed,  still need to go get them printed.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#19]
All I have in my GHB is a county street map that covers from where I work to my house. There are no large tracts of wilderness between so im not too worried about figuring our magnetic to grid and shooting an azimuth.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you want I can scale them up so they print on a larger piece of paper; that way the scale measurement stays the same. If you just blow them up 1in will not = 400 meters.

Here are some representative maps of what I made up for lcpl1812.... wouldn't want to blow OPSEC and give away his route so they are of a different area.

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/moulton/media/ar15%20map_zpsnbkxtkrg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/moulton/ar15%20map_zpsnbkxtkrg.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/moulton/media/ar15%20sat_zpsoz7nbqan.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/moulton/ar15%20sat_zpsoz7nbqan.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/moulton/media/ar15%20map_zpsnbkxtkrg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/moulton/ar15%20map_zpsnbkxtkrg.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/moulton/media/ar15%20sat_zpsoz7nbqan.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/moulton/ar15%20sat_zpsoz7nbqan.jpg</a>

Did you buy software to do that?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#21]
High detail maps for that much ground might be a logistical problem
I recall when they printed that sort of maps in a bound book for the area around Kandahar
The books were quite large and thick, not something I'd want to lug around
You might need to scale back your expectations

Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting. Is that offer open to any of the rest of us? if nothing else I would be able to use some good maps of my county for work purposes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#22]
You can download geoTiffs of USGS quads at Topoquest for FREE.

It's what I use when I need a topo layer in my GIS (Manifold).
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Along the same lines. There was a vendor that has some very tough waterproof paper there. I am not affiliated (other than buying some).
They called it Prepper paper their web site is Prepperpaper.com. I have not used it as I was not sure how to get the route printed out (this thread should help).
View Quote

Stores such as sportsman's wharehouse also carry the waterproof mapping paper in their map section.  

My method is a little convoluted, but it works.  I use websites like furkot.com and even google maps/earth, I pull up the area I'm interested in, scale it to what I need and then take a screen shot using an evernote add on.  This automatically uploads it to my evernote account.  I can then go into evernote and print each screen shot.  My evernote account also syncs w/ my phone, so I can also pull up the images on my phone and zoom in to check things out.  

I use furkot to plan out my off-road motorcycle trips and then download the trip to my phone or gps, works nicely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top