Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2015 2:41:51 PM EDT
I try to pick up one really nice piece of equipment before each major outdoors trip I go on.

I don't really consider myself a gear hound, but over time a piece here and a piece there has made outings much less work, lighter, and more comfortable than they were 35 years ago.

For this summer's trip with my wife I have been considering replacing my el cheapo compasses with a Suunto MC-2G.  I probably will never use it in the southern hemisphere, but figure the $20 additional cost for the "G" isn't really that much, considering that I already have cheap stuff that works and am simply upgrading to something more spiffy.  I chose it over the Silva Ranger since there are reports of QC issues on newer rangers.

Everytime I spend the money I've set aside for a random piece of quality equipment it seems like I immediately run across something already out there that is just a little more polished and fits exactly what I was looking for just a little bit better.

Considering the above, do any of you have suggestions for compasses I should be looking at other than the Suunto MC-2G?
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I try to pick up one really nice piece of equipment before each major outdoors trip I go on.

I don't really consider myself a gear hound, but over time a piece here and a piece there has made outings much less work, lighter, and more comfortable than they were 35 years ago.

For this summer's trip with my wife I have been considering replacing my el cheapo compasses with a Suunto MC-2G.  I probably will never use it in the southern hemisphere, but figure the $20 additional cost for the "G" isn't really that much, considering that I already have cheap stuff that works and am simply upgrading to something more spiffy.  I chose it over the Silva Ranger since there are reports of QC issues on newer rangers.

Everytime I spend the money I've set aside for a random piece of quality equipment it seems like I immediately run across something already out there that is just a little more polished and fits exactly what I was looking for just a little bit better.

Considering the above, do any of you have suggestions for compasses I should be looking at other than the Suunto MC-2G?
View Quote

I have the non-sighting version of that compass, the M3 Global, and it's the best land nav compass I've ever owned.  I switched to Suunto from Silva because the quality is clearly better.  Don't hesitate to buy it, but have a look at the M3 Global before you commit.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The Suunto MC-2 line is the best out there. Just make sure the model you get matches the maps you'll be using. I've used mine at work for a couple years now. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Suunto MC-2 line is the best out there. Just make sure the model you get matches the maps you'll be using. I've used mine at work for a couple years now. Buy with confidence.
View Quote

What that guy said ^^^
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of the mc-2's.  They are the ones that I recommend.
If you are considering traveling in the southern hemisphere you should get the international version.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I am a fan of the Silva brand.  I have used them for many years, hunting, and in the backcountry.  

http://www.silvacompass.com/

I also like a compass with the mirrors, not so much for sighting, but for the purpose of having a mirror.  You can check your face or eyes, and it could always be used for signal.  Dual purpose.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with above.. Silva has served me well..
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Silva Ranger

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.  Since no one mentioned anything I hadn't already considered the Suunto MC-2G is on the way. I appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Compass showed up today.  It is exactly what I was looking for.  Absolute level isn't required, and the needle has zero wiggle.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Silva Ranger

View Quote

This is my preferred brand and model. That said, if that's too much for you to pay then they have some non-sighting ones that would probably serve you well. I have a lower end Suunto compass and it seems like a quality piece for the price. I would like to see/use their high end stuff sometime.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
GI Lensatic compass

Old school just works.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#12]
It is probably.worth noting that there are Silva and then there are Silva.  Thanks to Johnson Outdoors most in the US aren't the real ones and may be made in China.  Of course the Swedish Silva has been.bought and sold by Fiskars etc so their production may have moved out of Sweden or Finland too.  For a while the only way to get a real Swede Silva was to buy it from non North American sources or Brunton
 The relationship with.Brunton is over now.  Suuntos have always been a safe bet for quality though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is probably.worth noting that there are Silva and then there are Silva.  Thanks to Johnson Outdoors most in the US aren't the real ones and may be made in China.  Of course the Swedish Silva has been.bought and sold by Fiskars etc so their production may have moved out of Sweden or Finland too.  For a while the only way to get a real Swede Silva was to buy it from non North American sources or Brunton
 The relationship with.Brunton is over now.  Suuntos have always been a safe bet for quality though.
View Quote

That is exactly why I went the route I did. Product reviews for the Silvas were pretty clear that quality wasn't as consistent as it once was.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a 20 year old silva ranger that had an issue.  Johnson Outdoors replaced it with one made in India.   So far no issues.  My main compass is still the mc2.

Quoted:

That is exactly why I went the route I did. Product reviews for the Silvas were pretty clear that quality wasn't as consistent as it once was.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#15]
While Suunto and Silva compasses are good, neither is made in the US.  Cammenga makes a very good lensatic compass that is US made.  

The problem with a lensatic compass isn't the compass.  It's that folks never learn how to use them properly.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
While Suunto and Silva compasses are good, neither is made in the US.  Cammenga makes a very good lensatic compass that is US made.  

The problem with a lensatic compass isn't the compass.  It's that folks never learn how to use them properly.
View Quote

Not always the case.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I really like Silva compass.  I have been using one since I was in Boy Scouts in the late 70's and early 80's.  I currently use the Silva Explorer 203.  Works well for reading maps and magnifier helps too and provides backup firestarter method that I hang around my neck when in the woods just in case.  This is an excellent piece of kit IMO.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am a fan of the Silva brand.  I have used them for many years, hunting, and in the backcountry.  

http://www.silvacompass.com/

I also like a compass with the mirrors, not so much for sighting, but for the purpose of having a mirror.  You can check your face or eyes, and it could always be used for signal.  Dual purpose.
View Quote

This.  The Ranger for me.  And the mirror is a huge backcountry asset;  just this morning I used mine to help dislodge a hunk of junk that got lodged in my right eye.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Silva has a good reputation. It's too bad you can't buy a compass made by Silva of Sweden in North America anymore.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Cammenga makes a durable compass. Induction dampening (no bubbles) and made in the USA. www.cammenga.com The lensatic model is bullet proof but heavier. That might matter to some and not to others. There is a protractor model with clear base plate (no sighting mirror) and the same capsule as the lensatic that should weigh less.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#21]
The compass I have is a Suunto MC-2G; good for map work, good for land navigation, the mirror can also be used to signal, etc.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been using a Silva Ranger for 20+ years.
Great pieces of equipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top