Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2015 3:55:24 PM EDT
I'm buying my wife a plate carrier and armor for if and when things go south. She is 5'4" and 130lbs and is strong and very athletic so it will double as a weighted workout vest for conditioning so it needs to be durable and last. Are there any carriers that are designed for women or smaller people that might be a good fit for her? Also what size plates would be best for her? Would the PIG fit as it is fully adjustable?

Pic of wife unit:
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
CRYE JPC for external or Mayflower for concealable.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If she's not that big around the chest area, most any will work but likely won't be very comfortable.  I'm rather large in the chest area and there's no way I could wear one.  I searched everywhere for something designed to fit large chested women but found nothing.

Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If she's not that big around the chest area, most any will work but likely won't be very comfortable.  I'm rather large in the chest area and there's no way I could wear one.  I searched everywhere for something designed to fit large chested women but found nothing.

Good luck with your search.
View Quote

Thank you for your input! She is small chested just don't tell her I said that LOL. Her butt makes up for it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a DBT fast attack small plate carrier that works well for my size, you can find the first generation used for 50-100 bucks.

I wouls size plates first and then look for a carrier to fit the size plate you need.

I cut out some cardboard "plates" and rig them up with some parcord to see how well they fit my body and to see if i could get away with a small.

Check out this post for how armor should ride http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?85112-Proper-Wear-of-Armor-(with-anatomical-diagrams)

I run in my carrier to work out and it works fine with out a cumberbun, that was one thing i was worried about.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a DBT fast attack small plate carrier that works well for my size, you can find the first generation used for 50-100 bucks.

I wouls size plates first and then look for a carrier to fit the size plate you need.

I cut out some cardboard "plates" and rig them up with some parcord to see how well they fit my body and to see if i could get away with a small.

Check out this post for how armor should ride http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?85112-Proper-Wear-of-Armor-(with-anatomical-diagrams)

I run in my carrier to work out and it works fine with out a cumberbun, that was one thing i was worried about.
View Quote

Thank you very much! I'll check it out! So what is your size and weight?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no way your wife needs a medium.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is no way your wife needs a medium.
View Quote

Yeah. There is another member whos wife is close in size to mine and he owns an LBT 6094  and a PIG and he says they both fit her well. The PIG is very adjustable from what I have read and will securely hold small plates. Might give it a try. You have any thoughts on these 2 carriers?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Haven't used either just the APC and JPC.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know what the JPC is but what is the APC? Thanks!

EDIT to add: Are these the 2 you recommend for women and smaller people? Or just that they were a quality choice over all?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im assuming the Mayflower APC

Mayflower
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#11]
155 lbs and 5‘8"
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]
No need for body armor.......you should be taking the bullet for your wife.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah....play hero. That's it.
And once you take that bullet....your wife still has no BA...and will still fall victim ....

If his wife is part of his team...that's just stupid and a piss poor sacrifice
Man /women power will be key shtf...

Sorry op for the derail.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And once you take that bullet....your wife still has no BA...and will still fall victim ....

Sorry op for the derail.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry op for the derail.

She is part of my team and knows how to use guns and fight. We train together and have each others back. Here she is in a Combat Focus Shooting class with Rob Pincus last April

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

She is part of my team and knows how to use guns and fight. We train together and have each others back. Here she is in a Combat Focus Shooting class with Rob Pincus last April
<a href="http://s68.photobucket.com/user/SkagSig40/media/cham2_zpsf8229d67.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/SkagSig40/cham2_zpsf8229d67.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s68.photobucket.com/user/SkagSig40/media/cham1_zps35ab8d7a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/SkagSig40/cham1_zps35ab8d7a.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry op for the derail.

<a href="http://s68.photobucket.com/user/SkagSig40/media/cham2_zpsf8229d67.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/SkagSig40/cham2_zpsf8229d67.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s68.photobucket.com/user/SkagSig40/media/cham1_zps35ab8d7a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/SkagSig40/cham1_zps35ab8d7a.jpg</a>

Good work...many can't even get there's on board packing food let alone training!!  Again good job

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks! I truly won the lottery when I found her....way back in 2nd grade! Ha ha!
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks! I truly won the lottery when I found her....way back in 2nd grade! Ha ha!
View Quote

Either your George strait or forest hump :p LOL

Now get her packing 2-400 lbs of lts ....then you know if your a winner ')

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are lts? As soon as I know I'll tell her to get on it! LOL
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beans....rice...pasta....

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:01:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Isn't your wife already a plate carrier ? That falls under kitchen duties?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:17:10 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife has the Blackhawk low visibility plate carrier. It fits her well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife is in an Interceptor, size large only because of her bust, fits her awkwardly low,  but it was only 150 with soft armor and esapi's (guy on a local exchange site).  Had her in a small, it was perfect except the chest didn't close. I had a lot of trouble finding a medium,  but when I did it still didn't fit right.

If you go that route try a small before you buy, it might be too small up top.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Look at Police Supply places, they do make special amor for women. Designed for their body types/frames. It is more expensive ( sexist pricing due to limited numbers) but a good fit is important here.  Fitting will be like a bra fitting. Most males might not get that explanation. The best option is actually try it on and/or have it fitted by professionals.  If measurements are needed try having them done by a real seamstress/wardrobe person like who might work at theatrical costume shop aka not Party City..... Their size measurement sheets will help the makers cut and sew exactly to her size, if you have to go custom.

As far as if for just if things go way south, then the newer military gear that is designed for females is starting to be available. Plus more coverage options for sides, shoulders, groin... Although she should expect to wear double sport bras for extra restraint for placement since plate cuts will be issue for shifting and binding parts of the body. Although this isn't as big of deal due to her size verses more extremely large chested women. That being in the C/D cup and up range especially.

This is an out of stock link/option but might help you on your search http://www.keepshooting.com/female-body-armor-iiia.html  You may need to do a layer of form fitting body armor then a plate carrier and molle chest rig for any gear on top. The soft armor would help produce a flatter and/or sloping surface for the plates to back up against. It would suck buying twice to build the system but compare it to the cost of a wedding dress........

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top