BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you really think a fully loaded civi pack is going to attract any less attention than a full loaded military pack? I think a fully loaded anything during a crisis is going to garner some interest. Maybe im wrong in my thinking! But ill go with what is tough, subdued and relatively inexpensive. For me my GHB is a standard issue woodland 3 day assault pack.
View Quote

Maz, I can't predict the future...so who knows.  But I know this:

-Houston PD can be (not always) over reactive and suspicious/nosy...bad combination
-Houston neighborhoods can be good one, then bad one, then really bad one, then good one......
-I'd rather look like some dork with a bookbag and have somebody underestimate me for the 24 hours it might take me to get home (at worst case)
-There are enough corner beggars and transients that it's possible to blend in with them.
-I already have plenty of mil-spec gear

Once home, everything changes
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:24:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

-Houston PD can be (not always) over reactive and suspicious/nosy...bad combination
-Houston neighborhoods can be good one, then bad one, then really bad one, then good one......
-I'd rather look like some dork with a bookbag and have somebody underestimate me for the 24 hours it might take me to get home (at worst case)
-There are enough corner beggars and transients that it's possible to blend in with them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you really think a fully loaded civi pack is going to attract any less attention than a full loaded military pack? I think a fully loaded anything during a crisis is going to garner some interest. Maybe im wrong in my thinking! But ill go with what is tough, subdued and relatively inexpensive. For me my GHB is a standard issue woodland 3 day assault pack.

If you look like a dork with a bookbag in one of those really bad ones you are gonna get unwanted attention no matter what you carry! To each his own I guess!
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you look like a dork with a bookbag in one of those really bad ones you are gonna get unwanted attention no matter what you carry! To each his own I guess!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What folks tend yo over look is mil packs stick out to those who know what they are.
You get three hippys....give one a vintage 1975 kelty...give the other a osprey ....give the last one a Alice pack
Who will get attached /searched 1st.
How you carry yourself is what matters.
Kinda like "take the uniform off a cop but you can still spot him a mile away "
Unless the person can blend in with the masses it doesn't matter.

When in Rome.......

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What folks tend yo over look is mil packs stick out to those who know what they are.
You get three hippys....give one a vintage 1975 kelty...give the other a osprey ....give the last one a Alice pack

When in Rome.......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When in Rome.......

Maz - if you read my words, i am saying if you get attention better to be underestimated. Downtown Houston is not a place where you want to dress out in tactical gear and run down the street.  Military packs and camo ain't gonna work here.

Protus - true and I think I have studied the romans and found the middleground that will allow me to cross neighborhoods, college campuses and rough spots to walk home with "minimum attention"...not "no attention"....trying to stay off the radar completely would be difficult and perhaps only accomplished at night with nvg, which i am prepared to do if necessary.  but reducing the amount of interest is my intention and certainly preventing some nebbish from calling the cops is paramount. I can dirty up and fit into a bad neighborhood  or clean up and tuck my shirt in for a better neighborhood.  Either way, nobody will suspect what I'm carrying and nobody will think I'm worth the effort to roll.  They certainly will get a surprise if they try and surprise has value.  If stopped by a cop, it's just "tryin' to get home, sir" and that's it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe a "reversible" pack, one side is dork the other is "don't mess with me"? Or a cover that is one or the other? Dunno. I'm a couch potato.

Anymore links to gray bags? I bought a $25 bag that looks right but is no bueno, very poor quality. I am leaning to the covrt 5.11 but may be a little over the budget as I need two.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Maybe a "reversible" pack, one side is dork the other is "don't mess with me"? Or a cover that is one or the other? Dunno. I'm a couch potato.

Anymore links to gray bags? I bought a $25 bag that looks right but is no bueno, very poor quality. I am leaning to the covrt 5.11 but may be a little over the budget as I need two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your looking for higher end, anything Kelty is good to go IMO.  

https://www.kelty.com/category/backpacks#daypacks

Tough as any other pack out there and they have quite a large selection.  My smallest Kelty is a Redwing which is an internal frame pack.  Its all black and would blend in.  I also have an older green one but that has more of a "hiker" look to it.

As far as my GHB goes I like Drago tracker packs.  Obviously not "grey" because of the molle but I like the organizational layout of the pack.  Very well built, and not Maxpedition or 511 expensive.  Been part of my to and from work "EDC" for about two years now.  I have went on a few small hikes with it, when headed into the woods I really like a frame pack, even if its half empty.

I just ordered a DDT smaller sling style pack in tan.  I wanted something a little smaller then the drago tracker style pack, but in similar layout for daily organization.  Most importantly I wanted something that didn't have a ton of straps hanging of it for the purpose of strapping it down with a bungee net to the back of my KLR for commuting.  All the shoulder straps, waste belt, sternum strap, compression straps, every time I was always tucking them in making sure they weren't flying in the wind.

While molle probably isn't grey man in other areas, its nothing to see people with it on their packs this day in age, at least in my area.  Heck, some of Wal-Mart's cheapo packs are now laced with molle.

I am glad I live in the woods!  
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is what I have for "Gray Man" type packs. Ignore the Walmart tactical thing on the left, that is my current trunk bag.
Standard Jansport student backpack
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
For BOBs we run a Camp Trails Wilderness (sadly, discontinued) and an Osprey Aether 70 Osprey Aether 70 Linky

Both of these bags are wonderful...the CTW has lasted me a long, long time and the Osprey has taken a beating on a number of international excursions.  However, both are way too large for a GHB.  The Aether is light and has a great harness system, and it's design allows for a very packable system that still provides easy access.  It is also has a detachable daypack where I store my most frequently used items.  Pretty adaptable, too...plenty of tiedowns....pricey though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never fully agreed with the non-military looking bags/packs concern. Personally, if the situation is bad enough that you need to use the GHB, or are leaving with a BOB, then folks are going to know you have supplies in the bag regardless of appearance. Especially if someone is decked out in their 5.11 suits. While I understand the logic, I don't believe it will make a difference in the end. EDC I feel could make a difference though. It's not hard to spot who probably has a firearm etc by the look of their bag; compared to just another dude with a backpack.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the Mystery Ranch ASAP would fit your needs well, especially in one of the solid colors. It is right in the size you want and is pretty low key and simple although it does have a little molle on it. I just ordered one yesterday after thinking on it for 8 months or so
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've never fully agreed with the non-military looking bags/packs concern. Personally, if the situation is bad enough that you need to use the GHB, or are leaving with a BOB, then folks are going to know you have supplies in the bag regardless of appearance. Especially if someone is decked out in their 5.11 suits. While I understand the logic, I don't believe it will make a difference in the end. EDC I feel could make a difference though. It's not hard to spot who probably has a firearm etc by the look of their bag; compared to just another dude with a backpack.
View Quote

I think a lot of people fail to realize, or because it's that they know what to  look for, that the vast majority of people don't know what 5.11 is let alone the type of clothing they produce.

Yes, in the event that you need your GHB, people "in the know" will know you have goodies, but the majority of people will think you are Joe schmoe trying to get home with you work backpack and not mind you at all.

And as previously stated mil gear has become such a norm in most parts, even a surplus bag wouldn't get any attention.  What over a decade of war will do eh?

Trying to blend in cant hurt in any situation, as long as its not painfully obvious that you're trying to blend in.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
REI Flash 18

Light
Durable
Cheap Bladder pocket
Mesh pocket for small items
Interior key clip for keys or hi value items
No zippers to screw up
Looks like 99% of civilian daypacks
Carries well for a frameless daypack

Mine has been all over the country the past couple of years as my carry on and daypack when doing local day hikes, looks new.

I am REI member and haven't seen this one before....looks good.  I have a lot of confidence in the REI branded stuff.  Thx.

http://www.rei.com/product/877597/rei-flash-18-pack

They have these on sale every once and a while for almost half price.
I have one, but for a little more money you can get the flash 22 that has a zipper pocket and a lid.
http://www.rei.com/product/877567/rei-flash-22-pack

These are both super lightweight day packs for when light weight is most important, like used as summit pack when backpacking, or for traveling.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think a lot of people fail to realize, or because it's that they know what to  look for, that the vast majority of people don't know what 5.11 is let alone the type of clothing they produce.

Yes, in the event that you need your GHB, people "in the know" will know you have goodies, but the majority of people will think you are Joe schmoe trying to get home with you work backpack and not mind you at all.

And as previously stated mil gear has become such a norm in most parts, even a surplus bag wouldn't get any attention.  What over a decade of war will do eh?

Trying to blend in cant hurt in any situation, as long as its not painfully obvious that you're trying to blend in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

During a disaster bad enough that I have to walk home with my GHB, hopefully it will be during that time when everyone is trying to do the same; get home, figure out whats going on..or during the time they are looting and concentrating on that.... You would be surprised how single mindedly focused people can become when a threat is pending or when they are grabbing free stuff from the burning CVS.  However, hope is not a strategy and I plan for encountering those who would try to take anything off of anybody...or rather everything off of everybody.  As you say, some would pick a fight for any number of reasons.  I hope to not be noticed by most people, have others hesitate if they are looking my way, and still avoid the interest of HPD and others that would cause me other kinds of trouble.  It's a fine line that hopefully eliminates 99% of the potential threat....training eliminates the last 1%.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#15]
My son's Maxpedition backpack makes him look like an ordinary college student.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

During a disaster bad enough that I have to walk home with my GHB, hopefully it will be during that time when everyone is trying to do the same; get home, figure out whats going on..or during the time they are looting and concentrating on that.... You would be surprised how single mindedly focused people can become when a threat is pending or when they are grabbing free stuff from the burning CVS.  However, hope is not a strategy and I plan for encountering those who would try to take anything off of anybody...or rather everything off of everybody.  As you say, some would pick a fight for any number of reasons.  I hope to not be noticed by most people, have others hesitate if they are looking my way, and still avoid the interest of HPD and others that would cause me other kinds of trouble.  It's a fine line that hopefully eliminates 99% of the potential threat....training eliminates the last 1%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!  With the first few hours to days, people will be trying to get home to be with loved ones / supplies, they won't focus on "normal" people.  Guys with giant packs are targets even in non-shtf situations that only goes up.

3 months in... it won't matter what you have on, you're a target.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Exactly!  With the first few hours to days, people will be trying to get home to be with loved ones / supplies, they won't focus on "normal" people.  Guys with giant packs are targets even in non-shtf situations that only goes up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you haven't gotten home in three months you should have invested in maps, not a backpack.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Well... as I said I am trying to find that fine line that doesn't attract as much attention.  Attracting no attention  requires a different game.  Military gear is gonna increase your hassle factor at a time you least want it.  Police will have no reason to stop me..neighbors will not be suspicious.....criminals will be surprised that the dork has some moves if they make an attempt....

Should the situation require open carry later I am ready for that too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For BOBs we run a Camp Trails Wilderness (sadly, discontinued) and an Osprey Aether 70 Osprey Aether 70 Linky

Both of these bags are wonderful...the CTW has lasted me a long, long time and the Osprey has taken a beating on a number of international excursions.  However, both are way too large for a GHB.  The Aether is light and has a great harness system, and it's design allows for a very packable system that still provides easy access.  It is also has a detachable daypack where I store my most frequently used items.  Pretty adaptable, too...plenty of tiedowns....pricey though.
View Quote

The Osprey Quasar is my choice for greyman ghb use.  I've got a kestrel38 as well, and it's also excellent though bigger than your spec.  In my AO everyone wears an osprey so it's a good fit.

I've also got an Aether70, that's a killer pack.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go to a thrift store, there are tons of small packs and bags for cheap that will blend in with people outside the fancy hiker club.
View Quote

yep. lots of bags at your typical walmart that fit the bill too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Blackhawk Diversion Carry Board Pack

http://www.lapolicegear.com/bpg-65dc60-board-pack.html
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top