BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2015 5:12:08 PM EDT
anybody include it?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to.

Then I tasted a few after they had been sitting around too long.

I switched to caffeinated mints and No-Doz instead. My OTC meds kit has some caffeinated meds in it and my BoB has a few packets of single serve instant Nescafe.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I include five bottles of Orange 5 Hour Energy in mine.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
during the day, i'm only about 40 miles from home max, i just threw one MRE and 4 energy bars
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have energy bars and water.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Couple 5 hour shots and caffeine pills
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#6]
i would put a powdered energy supplement like Advocare Spark(my wife sell advocate stuff) in mine if i ever get around to putting together my BOB. better for you and won't go bad for a long time as long as it stays dry. it also won't make you crash after a short period of time like a energy drink such as monster or red bull. i would also include some of their electrolyte replacement called Rehydrate which is also in a powder form.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
an electrolyte glucose replacement is of higher priority for me, so I include a home formulated mixture, but packaged it in food sealer envelope, with "v" cuts to help a tear away... the recipe is for 1/2 liter bottles of water... I've used this mix for a couple of summers during shooting events... I start with an EGR mix, then a couple of bottles of plain water, depending on the heat... for typical range use, I just place in pill vials, and mix with water as needed

1/8 teaspoon Morton's lite salt.... about 1/2 potassium chloride and sodium chloride
1/8 teaspoon Morton's regular salt... sodium chloride
3 teaspoons of sugar... energy and helps absorption of the potassium and sodium ions

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I have individual powder packets that I pick up from Walmart. I actually drink them regularly in place of soda or coffee when I really need a boost.

There are several brands and I normally pick up the Walmart brand, but here's the 4c that I pick up at times as well:
4C Totally Light Bonus Variety Pack, Energy Rush, 18-Count Boxes (Pack of 3)
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Emergen -C packets....they go in every pack...and don't taste bad...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Individual Gatorade packets will give you a noticeable boost if you are wearing out, compared to straight water.

Their "go beans" also work decently.  Not sure how well they store, long term.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:39:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Probably not for me.  Those things act like a damned diuretic and I'd be more concerned about keeping hydrated than a temporary caffeine and sugar buzz.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:58:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Individual Gatorade packets will give you a noticeable boost if you are wearing out, compared to straight water.

View Quote

They clump together....leastin my Ruck.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Probably not for me.  Those things act like a damned diuretic and I'd be more concerned about keeping hydrated than a temporary caffeine and sugar buzz.
View Quote

Non caffeine electrolyte mixes are out there ...same with sugar free. Reason I use emergen-C brand.
Made the big mistake of buying those zip fizz deals....what I had left got stuck in the ifaks for just in case....

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then, I guess I have an answer to the storage question, haha.
The packets are still worth it, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Electrolyte mix (none caffeine) individual mix amounts in zip-loc bags.

5-hour energy bottles.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:49:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i would put a powdered energy supplement like Advocare Spark(my wife sell advocate stuff) in mine if i ever get around to putting together my BOB. better for you and won't go bad for a long time as long as it stays dry. it also won't make you crash after a short period of time like a energy drink such as monster or red bull. i would also include some of their electrolyte replacement called Rehydrate which is also in a powder form.
View Quote

This, except I use Isagenix.  Their e+shots saved my cramping ass during GORUCK Challenge a few months back.

Some kind of electrolyte powder (Replenish FTW), and EC stacks go with me pretty much everywhere.

Also, to moto932, do that network marketing stuff with your wife.  Residual income means more ammo money ;)
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a bottle of NoDoz in mine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Pedialyte Powder packs

they contain
Minerals
Sodium, mEq: 10.6
Potassium, mEq: 4.7
Chloride, mEq: 8.3
Nutrient Data
Dextrose, g: 5.7
Calories: 23

never thought of the NoDoz or 5 hour energy but now I'm gonna add them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I carry a tube of these...drink tabs
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I always thought it would be a cool
idea some to combine flavoring in
with decontamination/purification
chemicals.

Tabs or powdered drink packets
is a good idea, if you have filtration,
which I do, but I haven't added
any of them to my gear.

John
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I also use the Emergen-C packets in my backpacking and bug-out bags.  I’ve had the most success with them in the higher humidity here in the SE.  The tubes with electrolyte tablets (NUUN) are pretty decent as well.  The big challenge is to have a dedicated water bottle as the sugars can quickly feed bacteria.  I typically drink the electrolyte mix and rinse the bottle out with fresh water (drinking the ‘flush’) so I can clean it as best as possible.  Care does need to be taken if really dehydrated as water needs to be consumed before the electrolyte mixes for better absorption.

Those “go beans” are like crack for my wife and I when on the trail.  They didn’t sit long enough to turn into a gooey mess.  After the first few days on the trail, we didn’t make coffee in the morning or eat breakfast.  Instead, we packed up and hit the trail in the pre-dawn darkness and after a couple hours, we would snack, drink water and pop some of those caffeinated “crack beans” which were simply awesome.  Maybe it was the caffeine or just acting as a placebo, but when the terrain turned rough or we were pushing through the last few miles, they just seemed to give a little “kick”.  

Another aspect is to not wait until you visibly see signs of heat exhaustion or dehydration.  Once you start getting cramps, it takes a lot longer to address and recover from symptoms.  This is another reason why snacking and eating helps maintain much of that electrolyte balance along with copious amounts of water.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:36:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I keep a few 5 hour energy in mine along with some sports powder drink mix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top