Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2015 4:54:09 PM EDT
Looking for old-school info on how people camped/ate before all of the freeze-dried, just-add-water type food became the norm (Mountain House, etc . . .).
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
They killed or caught shit then put it in the fire...
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#2]
loaf of bread, pb&j, and cool-aid. and many many are we there yet
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
they made their womenfolk drag a bag of hams.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Back in the late 60's we used to take a lot of can food.
In the 70's they used to sell civilian version of MRE at supermarket and that was a big improvement in terms of weight.  It was things like chili, mac and cheese, etc. in those same package as they use for tuna now.
In the 80's freeze dried food was common and cheap enough to afford them.  We also discovered those Japanese noodle soup packs (ramon).  
Starting in early 90's MRE was easily available.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I should have been clearer in what I'm curious about.

I'm asking about pre-processed food camping. So before white bread, Ramen, MRE's, etc . . .

What did camping look like in the 1920's or 1800's?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Back in those days they didn't call it camping...it was daily survival.
Salted fish, beef, pork, jerky, beans, flour, lard, coffee and sugar.
Maybe some fruit and vegetable.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Twenty miles a day on beans and hay!
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Are you talking Chuck wagon days? Cattle drives? Or you talking '40s thru 70s....?

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
coffee, lots of coffee.

cured meats; bacon slab, salt pork, ham
beans, the kind you had to soak over night, add your own salt pork, sugar, and molasses to.
bannock; camp bread, mix a stiff dough of flour, water, salt, backing powder, bake in a pan facing a fire.
fresh fish or game
vegetables???  hardly, unless you packed some taters.  
Picked blueberries for dessert.

Later in the 50-70's I would say camping took on the canned food approach.  

canned beans, canned fruit, canned veggies, canned spam or chipped beef, canned soups.
coolers of hot dogs and hamburgers, ketchup, mustard, beer. milk for the coffee drinkers
prepared pancake mix were common for us growing up.  Might make home made syrup of water, sugar boiled to make a simple syrup with fresh blueberries added.
vegetables for us then I recall mostly corn on the cob either boiled or cooked in foil on coals
with 7 kids we also got dinner of spagetti because it was cheep and filling.

hell I'm old now, I need my vegetables, I can't go more than a day or two on meat and potatos/beans alone.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
pemmican google it and be amazed at how important it was to settling the west.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
coffee, lots of coffee.

cured meats; bacon slab, salt pork, ham
beans, the kind you had to soak over night, add your own salt pork, sugar, and molasses to.
bannock; camp bread, mix a stiff dough of flour, water, salt, backing powder, bake in a pan facing a fire.
fresh fish or game
vegetables???  hardly, unless you packed some taters.  
Picked blueberries for dessert.

Later in the 50-70's I would say camping took on the canned food approach.  

canned beans, canned fruit, canned veggies, canned spam or chipped beef, canned soups.
coolers of hot dogs and hamburgers, ketchup, mustard, beer. milk for the coffee drinkers
prepared pancake mix were common for us growing up.  Might make home made syrup of water, sugar boiled to make a simple syrup with fresh blueberries added.
vegetables for us then I recall mostly corn on the cob either boiled or cooked in foil on coals
with 7 kids we also got dinner of spagetti because it was cheep and filling.

hell I'm old now, I need my vegetables, I can't go more than a day or two on meat and potatos/beans alone.
View Quote

Great info; exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#12]
beef-o-getti and smores
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Some people even saw it as normal to carry cast iron cookware while hiking.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I still like to camp and fish for my meals but I take a couple cans of beef stew for backup.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#16]
C-Rats, and occasionally LRPs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Bannock bread, salt pork, eggs keep at room temp if you can carry them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't recall the title, but there's a good Hemingway short story that describes that in his usual detail.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Do some research on Parched Corn. It's become my favorite light weight trail food.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm asking about pre-processed food camping. So before white bread, Ramen, MRE's, etc . . .

View Quote

I don't think people were really camping back then. Camping became a get away from the life in the city and was usually just a few days living out of a vehicle. For the rest of the people of the time (I'm talking about the 1800s), camping was called Living. You lived off beans, smoke meats or what you killed, trapped or caught. You knew what plants you could eat and what you could grow if you were going to be in one place for awhile.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Flour, cornmeal, lard...

Press Expedition 1889-90
expedition carried minimal food, expecting to find game.[28] In the lowlands, game and fish were plentiful, but the heavy snow that winter drove game out of the mountains and for long stretches in the high mountains, the men were reduced to eating ‘flour soup’.
View Quote

Food on the Oregon Trail  :

two hundred pounds of flour, thirty pounds of pilot bread, seventy-five pounds of bacon, ten pound of rice,five pounds of coffee, two pounds of tea, twenty-five pounds of sugar, half a bushel of dried beans, one bushel of dried fruit, two pound of saleratus [baking soda], ten pounds of salt, half a bushel of corn meal;and it is well to have half a bushel of corn, parched and ground; a small keg of vinegar should also be taken.(l)

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

This, plus look up the works of Horace Kephart, and do some searching about historical trekking.

Reenacting supplier Jas. Townsend & Son has 18th/19th century type food, tea, cooking equipment, and some videos.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Kill and clean fresh food, canned food, and uncooked grains.  Also you can build up a pretty good tolerance to many stomach bugs, my guess is food that would give your average person today food poisoning would give your average person 80-90 years ago some gas.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
There is a (sometimes) free kindle book about camping in the late 1800s range written by a Civil War Veteran.

It's short, and has a few weird ideas, there are a lot of things about what camping was like back then.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018EIVYE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like it is two bucks. It may be something you are looking for.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

This, plus look up the works of Horace Kephart, and do some searching about historical trekking.

Reenacting supplier Jas. Townsend & Son has 18th/19th century type food, tea, cooking equipment, and some videos.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Townsend does indeed have a whole bunch of videos. Hours and hours of old-timey traditional ways of doing stuff (plus he sells things so if you want the equipment you can get it too.)

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

OP, if your serious you must add the books from these two gentlemen! Kephart in particular was detailed about his adventures. He lived out his later years just an hour up the road near Bryson City, NC.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't recall the title, but there's a good Hemingway short story that describes that in his usual detail.
View Quote
_

That sounds like the Nick Adams stories, a series of short stories he did.  I read a few in high school and college.  I remember him walking the RR to a stream then camping and eating his fish.   Sorry can't remember much more as that  was 20+ years ago.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#28]
City slickers were camping in the Adirondaks (upstate NY) very early.   City folks with disposable income would escape the unsufferable city heat.  They'd take a train and or a steamer up the Hudson to the Catskills or the Adirondaks.    This was way back in the mid 1800's,

In the fall I would hazard it was more locals hunting and trapping than city dudes.

When cars came about in the early 1900's there was another bump in camping.
The late 20's and thirties people were just trying to live.
Then another boon after WW2.  

Tha'ts my thumbnail sketch.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Can't resist.  With their mouth, sorta like we do today.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't think people were really camping back then. Camping became a get away from the life in the city and was usually just a few days living out of a vehicle. For the rest of the people of the time (I'm talking about the 1800s), camping was called Living. You lived off beans, smoke meats or what you killed, trapped or caught. You knew what plants you could eat and what you could grow if you were going to be in one place for awhile.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm using the word "camping" as somewhat of a catch-all to succinctly discuss traipsing around in the wild while carrying provisions.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

+1  Nessmuk's book was first published around 1920, IIRC.  Also check out Camping and Woodcraft (1917) by Horace Kephart.  Camping in the Old Style by David Wescott is also informative.

To answer the question, they carried ingredients like flour, bacon, beans, rice, corn meal, spices, etc. and made stuff from scratch.  All of these books have sections on what they cooked and how they cooked it.  It involved a lot more time and effort than pouring boiling water over freeze dried meals.

ETA, I see someone beat me to Kephart.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#32]
To add to everything that's already been said, there has been of a revival of traditional camping methods, now called "bushcraft." This ranges from not just meal prep but also traditional shelter construction, fire making, and clothing. Bushcraftusa.com is a good board devoted to it. (Note, there is a low tolerance for asshattery over there.)
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm guessing folks didn't have too much time for "camping" in the 1800's.  Probably more existing and surviving than camping.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:31:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm guessing folks didn't have too much time for "camping" in the 1800's.  Probably more existing and surviving than camping.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my comment three posts up from yours
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+1  Nessmuk's book was first published around 1920, IIRC.  Also check out Camping and Woodcraft (1917) by Horace Kephart.  Camping in the Old Style by David Wescott is also informative.

To answer the question, they carried ingredients like flour, bacon, beans, rice, corn meal, spices, etc. and made stuff from scratch.  All of these books have sections on what they cooked and how they cooked it.  It involved a lot more time and effort than pouring boiling water over freeze dried meals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll check out those books! Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
pemmican google it and be amazed at how important it was to settling the west.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I have some hard tack my son and I made last year. It's still edible.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#38]
canned food is also much older than perhaps some realize........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_can
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Pork n beans! And what ever else we caught or killed. Oh and a bag of "taters"
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would guess wrong.

It was done a bit differently, often locally, but it was quite popular.  Usually there was some attraction, lake, spring, etc...

Of course the way some people "camp" now is probably nicer than any hotel you could have stayed in then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top