Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2015 6:16:11 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with this multi-fuel stove?  While pricey, it appears to be versatile stove with many excellent reviews on various sites. While I have two other stoves (one camp stove and one MSR SuperFly), I have an opportunity to buy one of these at a great price.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I opted for the Coleman 533, as I store unleaded gasoline and not that much kerosene.... mine is a dedicated hurricane backup, and other than an initial startup that worked well, I ran the fuel out and put it away... it is about $120 cheaper than the kerosene option... I had already converted to propane for my cooking needs, but if I were to do it over again, would get a two burner Coleman fuel/unleaded gasoline model, and then get the 1# propane conversion unit for it ... kerosene in bulk is hard to find in my area

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
mine works great. has for years.  :)
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've tried other similar Coleman models, and really liked using them:  

[ETA - sorry for the large pics. Flickr has just screwed it's users up and doesn't allow sharing the direct jpg :-/   I managed to do it anyway, but you can no longer control the size. I need a new photo hosting site I guess.]

Coleman 400A

Coleman 502

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Coleman Exponent. The Coleman Peak 1 is the same. They will burn Coleman fuel and gasoline or kerosene and JP-8 with the right generator. Make sure the one you are looking at comes with both generators. There are smaller lighter stoves for backpacking and there are bigger 2 and 3 burner stoves for car camping and bug in, but the Exponent is a solid multi-fuel stove suitable for car camping, bug in, and bug out. Also, if your plan includes kerosene for heat and light, you might as well look at this stove for cooking. There are other kinds of kerosene cook stoves made, but these Coleman stoves and the spare parts to keep them running are affordable and easy to get.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Exponent stove.  I use it exclusively with the Kerosene generator.  Other than it's weight and size, I can't complain.  Keep in mind you need to preheat the generator before starting it up.  I use Coghlan fire paste, or denatured alcohol.  Basically you squirt something flammable around / under the generator, and light it up.  Wait a minute of so, and crank up the stove.  I like it because I'm a Kerosene light / lamp fan, and I have a bunch of k1 around for backup heaters.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 5:39:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone have experience with this multi-fuel stove?  While pricey, it appears to be versatile stove with many excellent reviews on various sites. While I have two other stoves (one camp stove and one MSR SuperFly), I have an opportunity to buy one of these at a great price.

http://scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0303/out1.jpg
View Quote

They are good stoves.  I used to have one and also have a Peak One version with the external bottle.  

If you get a good price on it, buy it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got one that I bought that was new from a pawn shop for $30.
Never uses it but got it for just in case.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:51:14 AM EDT
[#10]
You can never have too many stoves.  Get it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been rocking a Peak 1 Model 550B499 since the '70s.  The POS pump unit crapped out on me last year.  Ten bucks and I was back in game with a handy SHTF tip from the eBay seller.  
When I bought it it wasn't light (cutting edge) but it always worked and it has lived up to that reputation.  I'd jump all over it if I was you, but we place our bets and take our chances as the saying goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top