Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2015 12:11:48 PM EDT
I watched a commercial for this kit while watching a fishing show and thought making my own might be a good idea for storage on the kayak. Any changes you might make to the kit?

http://www.amazon.com/United-Cutlery-Kommando-Ultimate-Survival/dp/B009OFC5FU

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a pocket sized SOL kit and it got me thinking along the same lines, how could I make this myself and better?

This kit has a few items I don't think are essential, like the rope saw and tiny signal mirror.
I'd probably go:
Small folding knife (Multitool is unnecessary)
Mylar blanket
Ferro rod and striker
Matches
2 Vaseline soaked cotton balls
Water purification tablets
A couple bandaids
10-15ft duct tape
Single AA or AAA sized LED light
Lightload towel or bandana
25ft very light line i.e. braided mason line
All packed in a cargo pocket sized dry bag
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#2]
From reading the single review, which is 1/5 stars, I'd probably go with the "not a shovel" option.

$41 looks a little steep for that kit, IMO. You could probably do most of it yourself with better quality for the same price, so you're already ahead of the game. I have an SOL kit originally intended for my wife's car. She didn't like it, so it rides in my mini survival pouch in my vehicle, but with more contractor trash bags, zip ties, and a better multi tool.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#3]
United Cutlery is mostly Chinese made junk - having bought some, & given it away to my otherwise unarmed contractors.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Just to clarify, I wasn't thinking of buying the kit, but I do like the size and concept. So many of the "mini survival kits" that I see (like in Skoal or Altoid's tin) are minimalist at best and without much use other than size. This concept seems...useful.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've gone through many different versions of the micro-kit.

Most recent was an LED pen light and 2 large safety pins and ferro rod and strike plate and 2 large bandaids in my wallet. Only problem was the LED light kept going on while in my pocket...

But it was the most useful thing to have - a light I could access which I always had on my person. The ferro rod was "SHTF" idea but impractical as I'd need to scrounge around for tinder. Now I just toss in a bic lighter into my jacket or pocket.

For really practical uses - something you'll actually use - toss in some $1s, $5s, $10s and $20s. A needle, good thread, 3 buttons. flattened duct tape roll. small tooth brush and tooth paste....those little $1 toiletry kit stuff. A spoon. a sheet of tin foil (to boil water) 2-3 tea bags. McDonald salt and sugar packets. some hard candy. hotel bar of soap in waterproof wrapper. little bottle of shampoo.

The idea is to take the edge off desperation....emergency cash... something to fix socks or torn pants.... something to clean your hands and wash your hair with.... generally to make yourself presentable/less wild and desperate looking.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
i made my own and i think its waaay better. ive spent more money on it but ive actually used it and its parts are great quality.

i used an old seasoning salt container, i wrapped 40 pound braided fishing line around it, it doubles as super strong fishing/ bank line and for sewing and traps. ive caught big fish with the line on my hands and let me tell you, it sucks!!!!! the container works as a good sized reel. inside is big enough to fit pretty much anything you want. the shape is a little weird but if its not for every day carry it works great. as stated above i throw in everyday items including first aid.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've gone through many different versions of the micro-kit.

Most recent was an LED pen light and 2 large safety pins and ferro rod and strike plate and 2 large bandaids in my wallet. Only problem was the LED light kept going on while in my pocket...

But it was the most useful thing to have - a light I could access which I always had on my person. The ferro rod was "SHTF" idea but impractical as I'd need to scrounge around for tinder. Now I just toss in a bic lighter into my jacket or pocket.

For really practical uses - something you'll actually use - toss in some $1s, $5s, $10s and $20s. A needle, good thread, 3 buttons. flattened duct tape roll. small tooth brush and tooth paste....those little $1 toiletry kit stuff. A spoon. a sheet of tin foil (to boil water) 2-3 tea bags. McDonald salt and sugar packets. some hard candy. hotel bar of soap in waterproof wrapper. little bottle of shampoo.

The idea is to take the edge off desperation....emergency cash... something to fix socks or torn pants.... something to clean your hands and wash your hair with.... generally to make yourself presentable/less wild and desperate looking.

View Quote

I seem to remember reading an SAS guy from McNab's book shrugging off the ferro rod and pulling out a Bic at jungle school. To be honest I'm pretty sure I've lost more disposable lighters than I ever used up entirely.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would you give up a multi-tool for a small folding knife?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]
United cutlery is not known for quality.  Put something similar together yourself for better results.

The reason I like a fero rod over a Bic is that I have a small one in my wallet, don't notice the weight, and ALWAYS have it with me.  If I have pants on I have it.

Tried  to somehow incorporate the 5 c's into my everyday dress, by far a container was the hardest.  I have a turkey roasting plastic bag in my wallet for now,  a non lubed condom is another alternative but I don't want the wife to get the wrong idea. ; )
Still on the lookout for a better option.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
United cutlery is not known for quality.  Put something similar together yourself for better results.

The reason I like a fero rod over a Bic is that I have a small one in my wallet, don't notice the weight, and ALWAYS have it with me.  If I have pants on I have it.

Tried  to somehow incorporate the 5 c's into my everyday dress, by far a container was the hardest.  I have a turkey roasting plastic bag in my wallet for now,  a non lubed condom is another alternative but I don't want the wife to get the wrong idea. ; )
Still on the lookout for a better option.

View Quote

I keep a ferro rod tucked into my Leatherman sheath.  Cutting tool and combustion device all in one.

I always keep a roll of paracord in my Jeep, and a couple hanks in my EDC pack.  

I usually have a stainless steel water bottle to and from work or when in the outdoors.  

Containers are always around us in everyday activities so don't try to hard!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I tend to feel that a kit should be tailored to the environment in which it is likely to be used.  The one I carry in my briefcase doesn't have any fish hooks because I can't imagine pausing to wet my line in the local golf course on the way home from the office.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's a lot of neat gear out there but if the probability of use is zero for the situation you're likely to find yourself in, why hump it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I tend to feel that a kit should be tailored to the environment in which it is likely to be used.  The one I carry in my briefcase doesn't have any fish hooks because I can't imagine pausing to wet my line in the local golf course on the way home from the office.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's a lot of neat gear out there but if the probability of use is zero for the situation you're likely to find yourself in, why hump it?
View Quote

Very good point, and one main reason why I don't have fishing hooks in my every day regular kits.  Objective is to get out and home.  

Rule of 3 is important to remember when deciding what you need vs want.

On the topic of hooks if its a worst case I always have safety pins and could improvise a hook.

Same line of thinking can be applied for most gear.  What works for me, might not work for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top