Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 5:08:49 PM EDT
If there was an air-tight enclosure, and little available volume when a lighter is encased, would it mitigate the fuel loss over time?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had real bic lighters not the fake ones sit in my car in a glove box or under a seat or between the visor and head liner for yrs in 100 degree weather and never had one loose its fuel from just storage or misplacing it  .  why do you think it will loose fuel ?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If there was an air-tight enclosure, and little available volume when a lighter is encased, would it mitigate the fuel loss over time?
View Quote

I have never had any Bics loose fluid...  Only once did I have a 10+ year old Bic have the Ferro rod aka flint, corrode and turn to dust.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/680601_Fire_starters___Matches__Lighters__Flint_and_steel_.html

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had real bic lighters not the fake ones sit in my car in a glove box or under a seat or between the visor and head liner for yrs in 100 degree weather and never had one loose its fuel from just storage or misplacing it  .  why do you think it will loose fuel ?
View Quote

While we share a similar climate, our experience has been different. I have had several die in my truck after a year due to evaporation. A google search reveals that many have experienced the same.  In fairness, I am not positive they were all Bic brand, but I think all butane lighter have loss over time. A case prevents accidental discharge too, but there are other solutions for that. Zip ties, rubber bands, keeping in original packaging, etc.

I keep multiple methods in all the vehicles, bags, etc., but was just wondering if leaking can be prevented with a tight, low volume case.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
When they leak, I think it's a combination of the temperature changing and/or the seal.

Neither of these will be mitigated by a container.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When they leak, I think it's a combination of the temperature changing and/or the seal.

Neither of these will be mitigated by a container.

View Quote

Well - I just read through the link provided by Derrick and leakage doesn't sound entirely uncommon. My thought was if the enclosure had de minimus available volume, pressure would equalize.

Cool/dry - I believe bics can last a long time. Heat/cold/heat/cold - I think they bleed. Not a big deal though. There WILL be fire!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
They will fit easily in an Altoids tin.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I just discovered a new BIC with a decomposed/welded flint last week, but while that may happen on rare occasion, they're generally reliable in my experience and I have a lot of use with BICs as a daily cigar smoker.

I still keep a 5 pack, or two, handy just to have, but like the refillable butane JET lighters.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one or two ammo cans when I ran across some at a soso price, so lots of stuff went in ammo cans.

Depending on what you put in there, it will contain what leaks.

I don't really expect an issue with a leaking bic making the ammo can do much more than smell funny when you open it, but probably would not want to open one up that had been closed up for years and years while sitting right next to a camp fire.

The little yellow bottles of lighter fluid, forget the name, leak over time.  Some smell from them but not a big deal.

We all know a filled zippo slowly lets fuel evaporate out as well.

My issue with flints has only been when they were used, I take apart old disposable lighters for the flints when bored.  I don't really go crazy storing them but I guess since I have a vacumn sealer I could see vacumn sealing them next time around.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
While we share a similar climate, our experience has been different. I have had several die in my truck after a year due to evaporation. A google search reveals that many have experienced the same.  In fairness, I am not positive they were all Bic brand, but I think all butane lighter have loss over time. A case prevents accidental discharge too, but there are other solutions for that. Zip ties, rubber bands, keeping in original packaging, etc.

I keep multiple methods in all the vehicles, bags, etc., but was just wondering if leaking can be prevented with a tight, low volume case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure it's evaporation and not light pressure on the switch?

Take a small zip tie, or a good quality twist tie, and wrap the lighter under the button so the button is forced up.  Any place you have them tossed around (in a pocket, for example) they can partially open and lose the fluid.

The case isn't going to do anything, now you have a the fuel mixed in a small tight space with oxygen... I'd say that's probably WORSE than having it dispersed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Take a small zip tie, or a good quality twist tie, and wrap the lighter under the button so the button is forced up.  Any place you have them tossed around (in a pocket, for example) they can partially open and lose the fluid.

The case isn't going to do anything, now you have a the fuel mixed in a small tight space with oxygen... I'd say that's probably WORSE than having it dispersed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Exotac is coming out with a case for Bic lighters: fireSLEEVE. It is supposed to waterproof the lighter and has a part that will hold down the button if you want to keep it lit for more than a few seconds.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Never had a problem with a Bic, the cheap see through types never last at all and seem to run out of fuel or have the wheel bust off.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top