Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2015 10:56:17 AM EDT
I'd like to add a cheap small AM/FM/weather radio to the wife's and my GHBs. I'd prefer AA and small. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on something high end just an earphone radio with the NOAA weather if possible. This is one example of what I was looking for but it doesn't have the NOAA channels.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have this C Crane CC WX Pocket Radio and I am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a radio that fits your requirements but I do have several of the radios pictured in the OP. They are solid little radios and seem to run forever on batteries. The manual tuning is frustrating at times because its impossible to leave it tuned on a station and keep it there while in a bag. Its no biggie and just the nature of the beast with analog tuning. I marked a couple index spots on the dial face so I can get on station a little faster when needed as my area is seemingly very dense with radio stations.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Countycomm

OR search for the Kaito KA200. I have both and they both work very well!
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a crank radio. No batteries needed. It's another option to look for.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have this C Crane CC WX Pocket Radio and I am very happy with it.
View Quote

Yeah I saw that one I just wasn't sure I wanted to tie up $120 in radios for the bags (I'll need two).

I'm trying to get the wife to warm up to some ham radio training so perhaps the real solution after she gets licensed is to just toss a low end Baofeng radio in which can get both FM stations and NOAA.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Countycomm

OR search for the Kaito KA200. I have both and they both work very well!
View Quote

I like the KA200 but I don't think it can receive the weather freqs.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't have a radio that fits your requirements but I do have several of the radios pictured in the OP. They are solid little radios and seem to run forever on batteries. The manual tuning is frustrating at times because its impossible to leave it tuned on a station and keep it there while in a bag. Its no biggie and just the nature of the beast with analog tuning. I marked a couple index spots on the dial face so I can get on station a little faster when needed as my area is seemingly very dense with radio stations.
View Quote

Yeah I thought about the manual tuner, I know its a pain but I am prepared to live with that in exchange for a cheaper radio. I've got good radios already at the house these would just be for the GHBs which hopefully will never get used.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a crank radio. No batteries needed. It's another option to look for.
View Quote

Which model? is it compact enough to fit in a bag without burning up too much weight/space?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a Grundig M400 last month at Radio Shack. I think it was ~$25. It weights less than my iPhone and works well it doesn't have NOAA but it does have SW1 and SW2. I don't fool with the shortwave much because I can't pick up jack. Even with the old boom box that picked it up fine when I lived in Nebraska. Too many mountains here I guess.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Sony Walkman from Amazon has weather band and great reviews.  I bought it for canoe trips. $30 as of 4/3/15 Bought mine for the same a couple months ago

Amazon link to sony walkman

** one thing it doesn't have a speaker and must use headphones/speaker of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sony Walkman from Amazon has weather band and great reviews.  I bought it for canoe trips. $30 as of 4/3/15 Bought mine for the same a couple months ago

** one thing it doesn't have a speaker and must use headphones/speaker of some sort.
View Quote

WINNER! Thats exactly what I was looking for!
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The Baofeng 5 receives NOAA and FM commerical as well as 2 meter and 70cm.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the exact one I've carried for years, except mine is older and has a TV band as well; catching the audio from broadcast TV channels 2-13. Since the changeover to digital TV signals, that part doesn't work anymore   , but the am/fm/weather still work fine.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's the exact one I've carried for years, except mine is older and has a TV band as well; catching the audio from broadcast TV channels 2-13. Since the changeover to digital TV signals, that part doesn't work anymore   , but the am/fm/weather still work fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it also use the headphone cable as the AM antenna?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#15]
as an aside... I have a couple of table model SAME weather radios around the house (Reecom and Midland) as well as a CB/wx in the car, but having a weather alert messaging application from one of the Tampa Bay TV stations on the cell phone is a comforting option... and for severe weather, a digital portable TV... with Doppler radar and GPS mapping, the exact location of a tornado 'hook" can be identified
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly don't know. Never used it (obviously) without the headphone/earbud cable, and don't have the paperwork for it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A $30 Baofeng will do all that and is a dual band ham radio as well.

Edit:  Won't do AM but does FM great.  Also does weather band.
View Quote

And Marine, FRS, and GMRS(?) bands.  Easy to program using CHIRP.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably; there's no external antenna on the Walkman.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#20]
My wife is a flight attendant so I've built a small survival kit that she keeps in her suitcase just in case something happens while she is traveling.  One of the items I have in the kit is a cheap cell phone that acts as a FM radio and a backup to the iphone.  The phone is made by BLU and they sell it on Amazon.  Its very small and quite loud for its size. I did a video of what I keep in her travel bag on my youtube page if you want to see.  Remember size matters when it comes to a flight attendant's suit case.  My Youtube Page

BLU Zoey II Quadband

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

++ I've got one of these I got for a bicycle touring trip 10 years ago.

Outstanding. One AAA battery lasts forever. I still use it multiple hours daily.

I have multiple high end radios. Amatuer Extra.

Reception compares VERY favorably with the Yaesu 897, Sony 2010 and the Icom R-20.

A seriously quality piece of equipment.
ETA I'm pretty sure it has an internal AM antenna and uses the headphone cord as the FM antenna.

Sometimes you have to have it oriented one way or another but it's not as bad as some I've seen.

I have mine attached to a neck cord and run the headphone wire around the back of my neck.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Mines a cheapie AM/ FM/ SW  I got as a freebie included in an order from Emergency Essentials many years ago

Years and years ago while in the Guard there was a small-ish FM receiver ear bud thing that I would take to the field. Weighed next to nothing and if I could find a modern version I'd probably swap out the current radio with that just due to weight savings
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:36:04 AM EDT
[#23]
The problem with cheapo radios like that is they work great as long as you are holding them. Let go and they lose all reception due to the capacitive coupling of your body, that is unless you are near an urban area.

If you really want something that's worth while find a used Yaesu VX7R. It will give you AM/FM VHF weather and the ability to transmit if you really really need to. It's waterproof and the RX LED can be used as a makeshift flashlight. In a SHTF scenario it would be infinitely more valuable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top