Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2015 4:44:50 PM EDT
Hey all - I'm looking at a remote thermometer setup for outages so I know when I need to kick on the genny.  I like the idea of a wired unit so there's less batteries to replace just when I actually need the thing to work, but wireless would probably be smarter since there would be no wires to compromise the door seals.

I found this one on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Refrigerator-Freezer-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B004QJVU78

Any better ideas/feedback?  And do you all just run yours all the time or wait until you actually need it?

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the Chaney Instrument 00985 3 years ago and have been happy with it.  The Acurite number is 00986 so must be related.

It's been running since I bought it.  I've only changed the batteries in the display twice.  The lithiums in sending units in the freezers are still going fine.  I shut off the alarms and just check the display when I get into the fridge 20 times a day.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a plan - thanks Croq!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey all - I'm looking at a remote thermometer setup for outages so I know when I need to kick on the genny.  I like the idea of a wired unit so there's less batteries to replace just when I actually need the thing to work, but wireless would probably be smarter since there would be no wires to compromise the door seals.

I found this one on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Refrigerator-Freezer-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B004QJVU78

Any better ideas/feedback?  And do you all just run yours all the time or wait until you actually need it?

Thanks all.
View Quote

That's what I have, one in a chest freezer and another in the fridge freezer.
Works well. Got it last fall when I got my chest freezer

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
This wont help with your genny situation but I'll add it here for someone else who might need a stop gap solution.

I was worried about power outages with the fridge/freezer at our deer lease. I didnt know about the actual options for something like this so I filled a 20oz coke bottle half full and put it in the freezer on its side. After it froze, I stood it upright. The frozen water filled half the bottle from 12 to 6.

I figured if I ever lost power on a significant scale while I was away the water would melt, pool at the bottom and then refreeze when power came back. Just a redneck "tattletale" to let me know about a power loss and suspect food.

Used it for a couple years. Eventually the ice sublimates and you need to refresh the water for accuracy sake. Never had a problem and one time it actually indicated a power outage had occurred while we were away so we chucked the stuff and called it good.

Edited - we didn't keep tons of expensive foods on hand in the fridge in camp. Usually just a bunch of condiments,  hot dogs & hamburger,  some breakfast sausage.  Stuff like that, so throwing the stuff out wasn't a big deal vs risking food poisoning. For a BOL fridges full of expensive stuff you cant or dont want to replace, this isnt the best solution
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Brilliant idea!  Will add that to my collection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top