Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2015 10:43:29 AM EDT
I first started looking at these things a few months ago.  From what I understand they just operate on the same principle as an air conditioner, except with these things you're more interested in water than cool air.  So, essentially you're just drinking the condensate?

Now of course these things require electricity to run, so they wouldn't make sense in a real SHTF scenario where you might have minimal or no power.  I'm thinking more along the lines of areas in the world where drought is a serious issue, Sao Paulo Brazil being one good example.  

Does anyone have experience with these?  If so, can you share some info on what the generated water is like and how reliable it is?

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Where there is drought there is no humidity. ...
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy a dehumidifier, and drink the water.

The thing is, they don't work well in low humidity environments, for what should be obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The thing is, they don't work well in low humidity environments, for what should be obvious reasons.
View Quote

Doable but tough. Plan on filtering the water. I was getting a quart a day out of mine in the basement but in shtf will we be taking long hot showers and cooking to produce that?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I just don't understand, but this strikes me as an idea which would work like a charm, in Houston, but maybe not so much in NM.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd have no qualms about using the water from one of the dehumidifiers, as long as it's treated as any other 'found' water source. Filtered, tabs, run thru the berkey, or whatever method.

We keep one in our 'intermediate' pantry; a 7x10' climate-controlled room. We don't get a quart a month from it now, in that room. But that's because it's already so dry in there, that there's simply not much moisture to remove. In an open area or a room that hasn't had a dehumidifier, the same typical unit will pull several gallons a day from the air. (So if we've got a generator and fuel, we've got water straight from the air.)

I also keep one in another storage room. Things I'm going to put back long-term (rice, ammo, whatever) get left in that room for several weeks to reduce their moisture content before being put into long-term storage.

Both units are kept at their lowest setting of 35% RH, which as I understand it, is roughly the same humidity level of the mojave desert.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:48:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Doable but tough. Plan on filtering the water. I was getting a quart a day out of mine in the basement but in shtf will we be taking long hot showers and cooking to produce that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a plumbing leak in my basement and set it up and left it for a long term mold prevention device.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:00:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe I just don't understand, but this strikes me as an idea which would work like a charm, in Houston, but maybe not so much in NM.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:10:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Just tie plastic bags over tree limbs (bushy is better) and collect the water.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#10]
This looks interesting. thry are still in r&d and funding but maybe something could be improvised in your back yard.

http://warkawater.com/
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

i have read articles about not drinking water from condensors. something to do with missing electrolytes  and such. also filter it well bacteria has been known to grown on those things.
View Quote

I'm not really concerned about this considering right now I drink distilled water during my workweek, and distilled is just about as pure as you can get.  However other things that are part of my regular diet could be adding the stuff that's missing from the water, so I guess the point I'm trying to make is to keep a balanced diet if you use this thing.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm not really concerned about this considering right now I drink distilled water during my workweek, and distilled is just about as pure as you can get.  However other things that are part of my regular diet could be adding the stuff that's missing from the water, so I guess the point I'm trying to make is to keep a balanced diet if you use this thing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i have read articles about not drinking water from condensors. something to do with missing electrolytes  and such. also filter it well bacteria has been known to grown on those things.

There are some seriously bad-assed dangerous bacteria that grow in those types of environments. Use caution and use research before hand if you go forward.

I can't imagine that the minerals in water are such a key part of your diet that missing them will cause problems. It might not taste right, but if you are using a cast iron pan, have you know... SALT in your diet and a few other things you aren't going to die from distilled water.

The water itself isn't the problem, but the risks, plus energy and cost payoff might be. If you are on a boat with nothing to do but fart around with a solar still it's not a big deal.  If you want to get a bunch of other stuff done babysitting an air conditioner and generator for a cup of water a day may not be real smart.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep in mind that there is essentially no water in the air when it's below freezing, so there will be no water to extract all winter long.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw an article on those being built in the desert but they were not electric. Essentially they were just towering Christmas tree type structures with a plastic mesh covering them. In the mornings, dew would collect on the structures and run down into the collection tanks. Neat idea for making clean water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top