Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2015 11:57:33 AM EDT
i was looking for a few shovels, i really wanted the german push button style with the pick that locks in diffrent positions but everyplace ive found has them out of stock. i want to stay away from the trifolds, i never cared for the style.
any one here with ideas or what do you all have?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a green Wallyworld tri-fold. I think it is Ozark...could be coleman....and its junk. The metal washer that gets screwed down on into locking position bent from normal usage. And I can't get to it straighten it back out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
i was looking for a few shovels, i really wanted the german push button style with the pick that locks in diffrent positions but everyplace ive found has them out of stock. i want to stay away from the trifolds, i never cared for the style.
View Quote

I have the Texsport Deluxe Folding Shovel, I bought years ago, keep it under the seat of the truck. They sell them just about everywhere, Amazon, eBay, Bass Pro Shop, Sports Authority, Midway, Dick's Sporting goods etc. It works just fine, I tested it in the backyard when I first got to see how it would hold up, its good as new...
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
doing some digging.... sorry had to... i found this one called the claw made by condor tool and knife, it looks pretty solid, and seems to be well liked, claw shovel looks like it acan be locked in a few diffrent places and they say it has a tough carbon steel head
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock E tool
View Quote

I've got one of these, haven't put it through its paces, but seems very nice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock E tool

I got one:
Pros:
Its light
Dude, its a glock

Cons:
The head locking mechanism does not stay tight
The telescoping handle mechanism is awkward to use
If you use it in cold weather the mechanism will freeze and you can't collapse the handle.

There is probably a better one out there for hard-use.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Try the Crovel. Not sure on spellling.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Glock E tool
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i really wanted the german push button style with the pick that locks in diffrent positions but everyplace ive found has them out of stock
View Quote

You can still find them on eBay.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:19:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This one?

http://www.keepshooting.com/german-military-folding-shovel.html
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got a green Wallyworld tri-fold. I think it is Ozark...could be coleman....and its junk. The metal washer that gets screwed down on into locking position bent from normal usage. And I can't get to it straighten it back out.
View Quote

I bought this one for my SHTF camping kit and for $14, the Ozark seemed to be reasonably made and sturdy, but I have never used it.

Looks like the Glock ET might be the way to go?

Chris
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I know its not a folder but I am a huge fan of the cold steel special forces shovel.  I keep one in each vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one?

Yup but its out of stock  everywhere
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know its not a folder but I am a huge fan of the cold steel special forces shovel.  I keep one in each vehicle.
View Quote

I have this also.
I keep in the my truck as well.
It could be attached to a ruck but it would stand out unless the ruck is large enough.
It has a small foot print over all.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought this one for my SHTF camping kit and for $14, the Ozark seemed to be reasonably made and sturdy, but I have never used it.
View Quote

not much of a recommendation.

I would suggest this. there are a bunch of people on youtube who review things that they have actually used. most of the low end shovels they review have failed miserably at being an actual shovel.

the ones that pop up as working pretty well are real military e-tools, schrade, glock, cold steel and a few others I cannot recall off hand. every other one I have seen reviewed where it was actually tested the cheap shovels failed.

having said that, I don't see a folding shovel as being all that great a piece of kit in the first place for most people. But if I was going to get one, i would sure as heck take it out in the back yard and actually dig with it.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I have used a Hori-Hori knife and a Glock shovel for 25 years, both in the garden and the woods.  The Glock is the only mil spec folding shovel my Ex didn't kill.

I keep a pair of anvil pruners, silky saw and the Hori hori in a sheath together.  I can toss that and the Glock on an old uncle mikes belt I keep ready to go and sometimes I add a hatchet.  A bonus is the Glock also has a saw blade in the handle.  After that, you are talking real tools.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have used a Hori-Hori knife and a Glock shovel for 25 years, both in the garden and the woods.  The Glock is the only mil spec folding shovel my Ex didn't kill.

I keep a pair of anvil pruners, silky saw and the Hori hori in a sheath together.  I can toss that and the Glock on an old uncle mikes belt I keep ready to go and sometimes I add a hatchet.  A bonus is the Glock also has a saw blade in the handle.  After that, you are talking real tools.
View Quote

No offense, but I did not know the Glock shovel was commercially available 25 years ago.
View Quote

Ordinarily I would agree but I just found this on their website. Click on the year 1983. It says they began development of the shovel in '83 which means that it very well could have been available commercially 25 years ago (1990).

I would not have guessed this.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:35:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I would suggest this. there are a bunch of people on youtube who review things that they have actually used. most of the low end shovels they review have failed miserably at being an actual shovel.

the ones that pop up as working pretty well are real military e-tools, schrade, glock, cold steel and a few others I cannot recall off hand. every other one I have seen reviewed where it was actually tested the cheap shovels failed.

having said that, I don't see a folding shovel as being all that great a piece of kit in the first place for most people. But if I was going to get one, i would sure as heck take it out in the back yard and actually dig with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like the Glock ET might be the way to go?

Chris

Well, to be fair to myself, I never actually recommended it to anyone, I was just commenting to the fellow that I bought one and it 'seemed' to be sturdy enough, to my mind, but admittedly...sturdy is a relative term, no?

It folds up small and fits into one of my outer medium ALICE pack pockets just fine and frankly, I didn't buy it thinking that I'd be digging my grave, or trenches for a building foundation, so what I intended it for--digging a small hole to take a dump in, or to dig a fire pit in some sandy type ground, it should be sufficient.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, i saw this thread title and was going to suggest it as well.

you can keep it in a sheath and strap it to your pack if you were so inclined.  It doubles as a series hand to hand weapon as well if needed.

plus, you dont have to worry about a broken locking mechanism, or a wobbly shovel.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you are going to be doing any digging at all, in anything other than soft, rock-free sand or loam, then make sure to bring a pick.  The SC steel shovel, like all similar ones, cannot be folded at 90 deg to become a half-decent pick, and the very blunt nose of the CS shovel is far from optimal in hard or rocky soils.

Do some side-by-side comparisons of different styles of shovels in various soils, and I think you will agree with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, i saw this thread title and was going to suggest it as well.

you can keep it in a sheath and strap it to your pack if you were so inclined.  It doubles as a series hand to hand weapon as well if needed.

plus, you dont have to worry about a broken locking mechanism, or a wobbly shovel.

If you are going to be doing any digging at all, in anything other than soft, rock-free sand or loam, then make sure to bring a pick.  The SC steel shovel, like all similar ones, cannot be folded at 90 deg to become a half-decent pick, and the very blunt nose of the CS shovel is far from optimal in hard or rocky soils.

Do some side-by-side comparisons of different styles of shovels in various soils, and I think you will agree with me.

Considering I have done some under foundation digging when working in excavation I would have to agree.  The main purpose my shovels serve is for impromptu use and un-sticking a stuck vehicle be it snow or mud.  It can also hack some branches if need be.  No digging fox holes for me!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#24]
There are inexpensive fixed, mini spade shovels sold at most department stores I would put up against any of the folding military E tools. They take up very little space in a vehicle. If you are taking an E tool on a Bug Out you might need to ask yourself why. The only reason that makes sense to me is a snow cave and there are very light weight shovels for that purpose.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you guys have anything against the classic GI E-Tool? You can find these surplus for not a whole lot of money.

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one?

I keep one in my truck, well made heavy as hell. If I had to walk it would be the first thing I left behind
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do you guys have anything against the classic GI E-Tool? You can find these surplus for not a whole lot of money.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/z/jDUAAOxyZw5Rag6F/$T2eC16ZHJIIE9qTYLTMnBR,g6FV8Fw~~60_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F
View Quote

The first time you swing it as a pick, or put any torsion on it and the jam nut isn't perfectly tight, you're hosed.  The jam nut will bend and lock in place, leaving you with a floppy shovel that doesn't work.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#28]
i never cared for the jam nut style, the condor claw is the same style but its a nice heavy metal nut and washer. i used it thismoring to clear about a foot of hard packed icey snow out from behind my fiero to drive to work thismorning, it seamed to do ok at that
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#29]
My German E-tool is bulletproof
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock E tool

I have one of those as well.

Nice little E-tool.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Glock etool
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Glock etool
View Quote

at close to $50 it better be near perfect.

personally, I just do not get the attraction to any such shovel.

seems like a lot of weight to haul around.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Chris is one of the Battery/charger/flashlight gurus hereabouts, so no surprise he has not had time to test his shovel--he is too busy doing other things about which he posts often.

That said, if the Ozark Trails shovel turns out to be a good one, it will be the first Ozark Trails product that I've heard about that is.

Local surplus store has scads of Bundeswehr single-fold wooden handle shovels, along with US and Bundeswehr tri-folds.

I have used USGI WW II "T" handle shovels (standard and Airborne versions), USGI single-fold shovels (all variants from WW II to post Vietnam), USGI and Bundeswehr tri-folds, Gerber tri-fold, Glock field spade, and various ComBloc non-folder spades.

Observations:

1) All of these shovels are meant to be used with the user basically on his knees. They're that short.  Consider knee pads if a lot of digging is contemplated.

2) Whatever shovel you get, give serious consideration to a shovel carrier that will attach to the outside of your pack or belt.  Shovels get filthy, and you don't want all that crap inside your pack.  USGI MOLLE E-Tool carrier will fit all Tri-folds as well as the Glock.  Single-folds can be problematic, but a carrier can be made out of Kydex, and probably a better one than the sometimes hard-to-find original carriers.  Make it stout.

3) SOP for digging is to have one guy use his shovel as a pick (blade at 90 deg to the handle) to loosen the soil, and while he takes a break and pulls security, the other guy shovels out the soil.  Any shovel that cannot act as a pick will have to be accompanied with a collapsible pick for efficient digging.

4) Condition is everything.  The joints in surplus folding shovels are often found to be battered loose because the user(s) did not frequently check and re-tighten the locking nut on the shovel.  If the head wobbles a lot, then it's worn.  If buying used, then inspect in person, and buy the shovel with the least wobble.  These loose joints can be repaired if not too badly worn, but it's a hassle.  Wooden handles can be replaced, but once again, doing so involves removing the OEM rivet, a PITA.

5) If you want a short shovel--cheap--go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy one there.  Collapsible GI picks turn up every now ant then, along with their carrier, which is very handy for stowage and carriage.

6) If at all possible, and weight and size constraints allow, consider some form of carefully chosen full-size digging implements.  They are easier and more efficient to use.

7) Most folks can get away perfectly well with a small aluminum trowel.  If a bit more digging is expected, then the Gerber Gorge shovel :http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41578-Gorge-Folding-Shovel/dp/B000WZCSTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423524782&sr=8-1&keywords=gerber+gorge+folding+shovel is almost ideal, and it will fit nicely into a USGI Canteen/Utility pouch.

8) If you need a snow shovel for your vehicle, AAA offers a decent collapsible unit, available cheaper elsewhere.

9)  As with any tool, determine the task(s) to be accomplished.  After applying dispassionate consideration, the right tool will soon become apparent.
View Quote

I have to agree.
As someone that has done a fair amount of shoveling in my life, unless you are being shot at and need to keep a low profile, a full size shovel, or even a D handle shovel will work far better. You back will thank you.
I'm also not humping a folding shovel anywhere on foot, unless it's a snow shovel for building a snow shelter.

For freeing a vehicle high centered in snow, a long handled garden hoe works better than a shovel at clearing the snow from under the vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:21:55 AM EDT
[#34]
What - No love for the WJQ-308?

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ordinarily I would agree but I just found this on their website. Click on the year 1983. It says they began development of the shovel in '83 which means that it very well could have been available commercially 25 years ago (1990).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense, but I did not know the Glock shovel was commercially available 25 years ago.

No offense taken.  If you kids don't challenge things how are you going to learn.

I never knew about Hori-Hori knives either until I walked into a Bonsai Master's home in 89 with my Ex and he showed me one.  I was 26 and he was 90.  I had a fascination with a Bonsai going back to my youth and west coast years.  It was the Bonsai stuff that led to my Ex killing the shit out of every mil surp shovel I owned or bought.  I have always enjoyed landscaping and we added her hobby to the yard.   A sporting goods chain was going out of business and I wanted a red dot for my rifled slug barrel (yes those both existed before 9/11/01 too) and there was the Glock shovel for $25, $5 more if you wanted the sheath.

Within a few years I bought several Hori-Hori knives.  One of those, a true pair of anvil pruners, a silky saw and a Glock shovel and you can accomplish a lot.  I have never melted a Hori-hori in a fire or wished it was a bit heftier as it is carbon in steel, not aluminum.  I use all of these around the property and camping.  If I am going deep to work on duck blinds, ground blinds or clear trails I carry these.  Even if I am running a chainsaw, these are nearby.  If I am axle deep in a muddy bog or a frozen one with a couple feet of snow, these are not the tools.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#36]
I once chipped ice with a boot knife to make two ruts down to the pavement so my rear wheels could get some traction.  I was in college and had left all my gear the weekend before at my Dad's house because I was coming back the next weekend.  A POS folding shovel or any other damn tool is better then a boot knife.  WhT is better then using your knife to dig with?  A Hori-Hori knife.  Better yet, a glock shovel.  Need extra traction like limbs under your tires, glock has a saw blade in the handle.  Your mind and hands are more useful if they have tools.  The tools work better if you know how to use them before you truly need them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Cold-Steel-Special-Forces-Shovel-92SF_p_3799.html#

I have several of these, one in each vehicle and one tjatt fits nicely on my Eberlestock Battleship...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:57:39 AM EDT
[#39]

I saw these online today.  Never had any experience with them.  Look versitile but heavy and a little pricey.

Hi-Lift Handle-All: 4 Tools in 1 (HA-500)
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I carry the Glock version in my truck
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I would recommend anything with a all metal parts and a wood handle.  A older style GI one or for example I use a WWII German one.  There a little heavier but I use mine to cook on in times of need.  Works well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My German E-tool is bulletproof
View Quote

Yep, I have one I use and I love it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top