Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 7:46:39 PM EDT

Does anyone out there make a decent alternate to this Tipi? I love the design but have heard horrible things about "Guide Gear" products.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Cabelas has something very much like it
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems inefficient, what are the benefits to the tipi design?
(Not trolling, just wanting to know more about the design)
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want a better tent and money is no object:
The North Face 2 Meter Dome Tent

$4,675 online
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/1/151480_ts.jpg

Does anyone out there make a decent alternate to this Tipi? I love the design but have heard horrible things about "Guide Gear" products.
View Quote

Single wall design ...treat the fuck outta it.
Not all guide gear stuff sucks. Their 12+12 tarp for example...or their jungle bivy I got or the ultra light. Summer bags...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is the Cabelas one mentioned earlier.  A member here thederrick106 has one and seems to like it.  

Here is a picture he posted in one of my threads, hopefully he doesn't mind.  Looks pretty awesome to me.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you asking what are the benefits to the tipi design in general or this specific one?  If this specific one I don't know, but if tipi in general there are lots.  Simplicity, stability, weather resistance in all conditions (sheds wind, water, and snow about as efficiently as possible), and they are easiest to heat, whether that be with fire or stove.   Been a solid design that has been around for thousands of years.  Googling will give more details if you wish.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want a better tent and money is no object:
The North Face 2 Meter Dome Tent
http://www.outdoorsports24.com/images/product_images/popup_images/12292_0.jpg

$4,675 online
View Quote

That's actually a really good price for that!

I think I'd rather they pay me to afvertise for them like that, though. That's a bit gaudy with the giant logos.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure Kifaru makes tipis as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yea Kifaru and Seek Outside are two of the bigger names making tipi shelters.  But I don't think they make anything like in the OP.  For better or for worse there are a lot more features on that guide gear thing, including what looks like an integrated floor.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yea Kifaru and Seek Outside are two of the bigger names making tipi shelters.  But I don't think they make anything like in the OP.  For better or for worse there are a lot more features on that guide gear thing, including what looks like an integrated floor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

True but is it coated in rhino jizz...that makes it more water proof than any other treatment.....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Titanium Goat 7.5 Tipi. It can take a stove too. I love mine but you will be paying out the ass for one!

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I just liked the guide gear design for the floor so I don't have to worry about critters getting in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:49:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just liked the guide gear design for the floor so I don't have to worry about critters getting in.
View Quote

I actually prefer having no floor. You don't have to worry about tracking in mud and dirt and if you spill something you don't have to worry about it.  I don't really worry too much about the critters. I usually sleep on a cot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:46:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are you asking what are the benefits to the tipi design in general or this specific one?  If this specific one I don't know, but if tipi in general there are lots.  Simplicity, stability, weather resistance in all conditions (sheds wind, water, and snow about as efficiently as possible), and they are easiest to heat, whether that be with fire or stove.   Been a solid design that has been around for thousands of years.  Googling will give more details if you wish.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure I'd let these modern tipi tents just automatically inherit the heritage of traditional ones. Some of the most distinctive features of the traditional tipi - from its free-standing nature, to its thick hide, to its "liner, "are not present here. But, primarily the free-standing bit.  Any center pole design is only as wind shedding and stable as those guy lines and stakes can handle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Original tipis were made out of leather hides piled up on top of one another, weren't they?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Original tipis were made out of leather hides piled up on top of one another, weren't they?
View Quote

Buffalo hide, but it was carefully stitched together in a specific pattern, not just tossed haphazardly.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm not sure I'd let these modern tipi tents just automatically inherit the heritage of traditional ones. Some of the most distinctive features of the traditional tipi - from its free-standing nature, to its thick hide, to its "liner, "are not present here. But, primarily the free-standing bit.  Any center pole design is only as wind shedding and stable as those guy lines and stakes can handle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, there are a lot of differences.  But the overall shape is still very effective at protecting against wind rain and snow and that is why it is very popular with back country hunters and those crazy people who like mountaineering ;).  I said it has been a solid design for a long time and I was referring to the general shape and the benefits offered by said general shape.  I lump mids into that category too.  But yes a traditional native american tipi was a more permanent structure and would be far more effective than any lightweight design being carried in and out of the woods in someones back pack today.  That is without question and I thought went without saying. Thanks for clearing that up.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a GoLite Shangri-La 5 teepee tent. Not sure you'll be able to find one thought. I had to wait almost a year for mine. It's an awesome tent mainly because of the removable nest. I have a couple of floorless tents and as long as you are somewhere without too many bugs they are so much better than a floored design. The GoLite without the nest packs up to about the size of a nalgene bottle. Normally I'll use a piece of rope strung between two trees instead of using the center pole. I thought of putting a stove jack in it but I dont really do much winter camping.

Well shit it looks like GoLite went tits up a couple of months ago.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have a GoLite Shangri-La 5 teepee tent. Not sure you'll be able to find one thought. I had to wait almost a year for mine. It's an awesome tent mainly because of the removable nest. I have a couple of floorless tents and as long as you are somewhere without too many bugs they are so much better than a floored design. The GoLite without the nest packs up to about the size of a nalgene bottle. Normally I'll use a piece of rope strung between two trees instead of using the center pole. I thought of putting a stove jack in it but I dont really do much winter camping.

Well shit it looks like GoLite went tits up a couple of months ago.
View Quote

Yea golite is toast but lots of good companies making mids with removable inner nests.  Mountain Laurel Designs being my favorite.  Bear Paw Wildnerness designs if you need some really custom stuff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Buffalo hide, but it was carefully stitched together in a specific pattern, not just tossed haphazardly.

http://www.sheridanmedia.com/files/image/draft_lens2162334module42539482photo_1245986023tipi_drawing_assembled_tipi.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.sheridanmedia.com/files/image/draft_lens2162334module42539482photo_1245986023tipi_drawing_assembled_tipi.jpg

Screw using that for camping. Make it a little bigger and I think I'll live in it. It looks bigger than my apartment.

Does it come with toiletries?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Titanium Goat or his son's company RutaLocura

Titanium goat has more options

ruta just has this smaller one or this larger one

not affiliated with either one of them but they are made down the road from me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Titanium Goat or his son's company RutaLocura

Titanium goat has more options

ruta just has this smaller one or this larger one

not affiliated with either one of them but they are made down the road from me.
View Quote

I 2nd these guys. Great gear and easy to communicate with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top